Is cover of high-low shifter normal like this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
Is the cover/leather on your shifter for the High-Low like the pictures below? It seems so flimsy,just a loose cover sitting on the hole. Could easily be moved and things may fall in.
Pic below showed it moved to the side.

I can't see pic. ???

-Matt

wow you guys are quick. I modified when I realized pic is not there and there were already 2 replies. hehehe

In my 1991 80 I thought that wasn't supposed to come off. If you need to see under it you can take off the big plastic piece. Just unscrew the top of the H/N/L shifter and than the leather will slide right over, after unscrewing the big plastic piece (for a 1991). I have done this, but never taken off just the piece you have.

-Matt

err,the leather piece clips into the plastic console just underneath the lip. 4 clips if i remember correctly . But , seeing how you you just rebuilt a motor I assume you figured that part out , no ?

Vince

OOOPS , nevermind had you mixed up with cruiserman . Sorry ::)

Vince

It takes my toddler about 1 minute to do that to my shifter boot. As described above there are four clips under the opening in the plastic that the rim inside the leather boot hooks into.

So is the whole H-N-L knob just supposed to twist off, or do you have to remove the little plastic disk and then unscrew something? Thanks.

BTW JUNK...everyone knows you twist your knob off all the time...no need to say it again. :flipoff2:

[quote author=Safado link=board=2;threadid=7795;start=msg65834#msg65834 date=1069370188]
So is the whole H-N-L knob just supposed to twist off, or do you have to remove the little plastic disk and then unscrew something? Thanks.

BTW JUNK...everyone knows you twist your knob off all the time...no need to say it again. :flipoff2:
[/quote]

It will twist off. There is threads under the knob...

Maybe I've always overlooked it ( doubt it ) but what is that fitting to the right of the shifter ??

[quote author=Tyler link=board=2;threadid=7795;start=msg65897#msg65897 date=1069376416]
Maybe I've always overlooked it ( doubt it ) but what is that fitting to the right of the shifter ??
[/quote]

Looks like it's to a CB? Possibly on old school cell phone ???

Nope. Not a CB or an old school cell phone but it is a holder for a handsfree cell phone holder. The car is wired with mic and speakers for the cellphone. Problem is my cellphone will not fit. I bought this car a couple of weeks ago and the car used to be a company car. Well, it was a mall crawler with factory lockers!!! High mileage 156K but all highway miles since the executive drives between the various offices.

Going back to my original question,.... Is there a piece of hard plastic that will clip on to the 4 slots mentioned above and then the leather skirt sits on that plastice cover? Maybe I will have to buy /replace that piece of plastic cover.

[quote author=Tyler link=board=2;threadid=7795;start=msg65897#msg65897 date=1069376416]
[/quote]

Here is a picture of that cellphone holder which is wired with a mic and speakers. You curious Georges ... ::)
Any hope of making it work with my cell phone?

It is attached from underneath the plastic panel. No need to replace anything. Just unscrew the hi/lo knob, four screws on the sides, the connector for 2nd start and remove the trim piece and all should be self explanatory from there.

Age old adage applies:

"If you have to ask if it is right, it probably isn't."

Looks like it popped, just reinstall and smile :cheers: :beer: :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom