Is a 2.2kw Starter motor overkill on an F engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The time has come to choose a new starter motor. I figure I’ll go gear reduction. I’m wondering if bigger is better or will I flog out my engine with a big kw starter.
Options are 1kw,1.4,2,2.2
My preference is to go big so long as it’s not going to have repercussions somewhere else.

The time has come to choose a new starter motor. I figure I’ll go gear reduction. I’m wondering if bigger is better or will I flog out my engine with a big kw starter.
Options are 1kw,1.4,2,2.2
My preference is to go big so long as it’s not going to have repercussions somewhere else.

An F engine is a low-compression tractor motor; you're wasting money and adding extra weight by using anything bigger than an FJ60 gear reduction starter. A larger starter is going to draw more amps too, if your battery ever gets low, it might make the difference between starting and not. JMO. Having said that, I do not know what the FJ60 starter is rated.

An F engine is a low-compression tractor motor; you're wasting money and adding extra weight by using anything bigger than an FJ60 gear reduction starter. A larger starter is going to draw more amps too, if your battery ever gets low, it might make the difference between starting and not. JMO. Having said that, I do not know what the FJ60 starter is rated.
Ok great. Just what I needed to hear. Thanks

Good point by 1911 above that the higher draw of a heavy duty starter could be the thing that keeps it from starting if the battery is low.
The dreaded "click-click-click" noise.

I ordered what I though was an OEM type starter for a 2F and received a much lighter gear reduction unit, Pure Energy #16224.
Expect it will work OK. If the engine is tuned right it shouldn't require a lot of cranking.

It looks like F and 2F engines still had a provision to hand crank the engine with the clutch dog style nut on the front of the harmonic balancer.
There is a straight shot at the nut for a crank handle over the front frame cross member just left of the bibb hinge.
It is the same arrangement that is on the crankshaft pully of my 1928 Chrysler but hard to imagine hand starting the 40.

FJ60 gear reduction starter FTW. Efficient and far more powerful than the stock 40 starter. Do it and forget about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom