Is 45 psi a lot for 285 75 16 AT KO Load E (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi There

I was chatting with Tire Rack about a new set of 285 75 16 Tyres.
The one I have an E Load Range which means they should be run at 45 psi.

I usually ran them at 34 psi. I tried 45 psi the ride is a bit firmer but truck seems a bit more nimble and will probably do a bit better on fuel economy.
I am concerned tough on the wear/tear on suspension. I have AHC still on the LC 100.

Um, not an expert, but my E load tires say 80 psi max cold. That's what I run in my pickup and Cruiser. E load is usually a 10 ply, higher load rated tire good for higher psi.

Can't comment on the ahc issue, don't have it. Can't really see where it would cause issues though, the suspension moves no matter what psi tires are set at, right?

Um, not an expert, but my E load tires say 80 psi max cold. That's what I run in my pickup and Cruiser. E load is usually a 10 ply, higher load rated tire good for higher psi.

Can't comment on the ahc issue, don't have it. Can't really see where it would cause issues though, the suspension moves no matter what psi tires are set at, right?
How is your back not jarred over every bump? You are effectively at the max weight rating for the tire at that PSI.

There are many discussions on this, but it all has to do with the weight rating to psi ratio. Basically I personally believe anything above 35 psi on my KO2s (E Load rating) is good. There are several threads where people have "calculated" out what it specifically should be, but honestly run whats comfortable. And if you are worried if your too low, do a chalk test. 45 PSI is at most the ever I would run, but honestly even if I was super loaded down I would only run 42 psi to retain some comfort.

I just got 275/70R17 KO2's this past weekend. The tire shop set them to 36 psi. The next morning I upped them to 42 psi, the same psi I use on my DD, so it'll be easy for me to remember.

How is your back not jarred over every bump? You are effectively at the max weight rating for the tire at that PSI.

Well, adjustable shocks help....

Now that I think about it, I think I'm running 65 psi in the cruiser, but I do run the truck at 80.

Well @Mr Snappy I can't obviously tell you what to do, but when I had my full size diesel the max I ever ran was 55, but I also never towed. Maybe try bringing the psi down on your Cruiser at least to see if you enjoy the comfort more. But as long as your within the specs for the tire, you really can't go wrong, once again it's a matter of opinion.

Some reading for this thread: Tire PSI advice straight from BFGoodrich (read whole thread)

Yeah, no worries. This isn't really on topic, but I've done LOTS of towing with the dmax, and running lower psi ate my tires up, and returned poor fuel economy. So I fill'em and leave em.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming!

Correct PSI is not an exact science, and one PSI certainly doesn't fit all. However, you should NOT have your tires at 80 PSI. Max pressure does not equal suggested pressure. Aside from uneven tire wear, it's just flat out dangerous. It changes the driving characteristics and the engineered capability of the tire. I'll just go ahead and say you'll never reach a GVWR on your cruiser (and very likely your truck) where 80 PSI is required. I suggest you lower it.

To OP, anywhere between 35-45 PSI is a good range to find what is best for you. You can also do the chalk test to figure out if you have fairly even wear. I personally run 38 PSI.

I'm running Kumho Road Venture LRE (Load Range E) and Tire rack sent them 80psi, but the guys at the shop dropped them down to 36. Very firm ride compared to my BFG All-Terrain TA. I can't imagine going any higher than that, unless I was going to tow. I question whether or not I really should have gotten LREs, but I always go for higher capacity when I can.

My 275/75-18 BFG KOs are E load rated (80 PSI max) and I've run them at 40PSI for 45k miles, doer issues with wear, far more comfortable than at any higher level.

The only time I have run mine at 45 cold, is carrying four guys, packed to the gills with gear.

Normally I run them upper 30's, maybe 40....but then I don't have much to carry most of the time. No big deal to fill them up at home if necessary.

285/75/16 KO2s 37psi front & 39psi rear

I run all my Load E 285s at around 35 psi, I feel that is the most comfortable and even wearing IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom