Ironman 4x4 lift on an FJ43 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was not happy by the lifted suspension on my BJ43.
Luckily I found the original new leaf springs.
Just for information the shackle angle original vs lifted
CB6A33BE-73AC-4EB9-B672-F5DBB182E2BE.jpeg

This thread is a good example for what leaf springs not to use or purchase for you 40 Series LandCriuser.

2 months ago I bought all 4 OME leafs for my 1981 FJ43 and they installed like they belonged there ! (Cruiser outfitters)

Just sayin’

devo

:cool:

This thread is a good example for what leaf springs not to use or purchase for you 40 Series LandCriuser.

2 months ago I bought all 4 OME leafs for my 1981 FJ43 and they installed like they belonged there ! (Cruiser outfitters)

Just sayin’

devo
Would you mind posting a photo showing your shackle angles after the ome install?

The question is where to look (and find) the NOS/OEM springs or, as a alternative, zero lift aftermarket springs?
In the USA there are people like Kurt to look at. In Europe?

PS. As far as I know all aftermarket stuff, good quality, mostly originating from OZ, don't have zero lift...

The question is where to look (and find) the NOS/OEM springs or, as a alternative, zero lift aftermarket springs?
In the USA there are people like Kurt to look at. In Europe?

PS. As far as I know all aftermarket stuff, good quality, mostly originating from OZ, don't have zero lift...
I understand what you're saying now and i think that makes sense about stock height springs. original height makers are keeping same arch and eye length.
Seems like it's possible that the ironman springs i got might have the same length as stock along the arch which makes the eyes are closer together when arched for more lift.

Seems to me if an aftermarket spring is made correctly the eye to eye length should be close to stock measurements regardless of lift. The lift shouldn’t make the spring shorter? The leafs should be made longer to accommodate the eye to eye length with the increased arch of the lift.
Take a look at my rear OME spring pack along side the 41 year old OEM Toyota springs. They are almost the same. OEM looking a tad longer most likely due to being worn out?
Even with the new OME pack slightly shorted they installed easily because the shackle could reach the spring eye without compressing the spring.

devo

9DF10D80-1A43-4731-B2A5-8CBEB5E7604C.jpeg

Seems to me if an aftermarket spring is made correctly the eye to eye length should be close to stock measurements regardless of lift. The lift shouldn’t make the spring shorter? The leafs should be made longer to accommodate the eye to eye length with the increased arch of the lift.
Take a look at my rear OME spring pack along side the 41 year old OEM Toyota springs. They are almost the same. OEM looking a tad longer most likely due to being worn out?
Even with the new OME pack slightly shorted they installed easily because the shackle could reach the spring eye without compressing the spring.

devo

View attachment 3226530
Totally agree

I did not trust that any of the aftermarket options would yield good shackle angles so I had Alcan make springs that would have correct shackle angles, carry the weight I needed, have many leaves for smoother ride , and moved the center pins to pick up some WB, if I did it again I would move the spring hangers to get the longest leafs I could, hindsight is a great thing, links and CO's are in my future, too old to bounce on leafs any more.

devo

View attachment 3226530
i am just noticing the measurements from the FJ45 frame showing 645mm+620mm as below

223frame8-3-jpg.103526

and then Ironman4x4 TOY003C shows a spring length of 660+660 (along the spring)...
so if the spring was completely flattened out - it would be only 55mm longer than the eye-to-eye of the frame...
I think I just explained to myself why my shackles are verticle...

I did not trust that any of the aftermarket options would yield good shackle angles so I had Alcan make springs that would have correct shackle angles, carry the weight I needed, have many leaves for smoother ride , and moved the center pins to pick up some WB, if I did it again I would move the spring hangers to get the longest leafs I could, hindsight is a great thing, links and CO's are in my future, too old to bounce on leafs any more.
You wouldn't happen to have the dimensions of your springs from Alcan would you?

that was 20 years ago. I do recall that the center pins were not in stock location, I had them moved 1.5 inches forward & aft to increase WB by 3 inches. I have a SOA with front shackles flipped & thru frame. IIRC the over all thength was some 3.75 to 4 " longer than stock front and rear. ( Thats a linear measure of main leaf eye to eye along the arc of spring as is it was flat ) I can measure them as they sit under the 40 now, soa, 20 years of use,

that was 20 years ago. I do recall that the center pins were not in stock location, I had them moved 1.5 inches forward & aft to increase WB by 3 inches. I have a SOA with front shackles flipped & thru frame. IIRC the over all thength was some 3.75 to 4 " longer than stock front and rear. ( Thats a linear measure of main leaf eye to eye along the arc of spring as is it was flat ) I can measure them as they sit under the 40 now, soa, 20 years of use,
Thanks for the offer... don't worry about it though... Doesn't seem like apples to apples

Would you mind posting a photo showing your shackle angles after the ome install?
@jmac3

you ask for a photo of my shackles after the OEM install.
Slight angle in the front
Almost perpendicular in the rear. Full pack, no leafs removed and a hard top.

hope they help……..

devo

9741B2B7-0C59-473C-A6EF-2970703E9640.jpeg

48AD3637-FAB6-420A-B224-1106CB3C62FC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom