Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro Tundra install, first ever? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. I've been running Bilstein 6112's on top setting for about 2.5" of lift, camburg UCA's, rear coach builder +2 shackles, and icon 2.0's on my 08 tundra for the last almost 4 years. I also have a diff drop, and cooper ST Maxx's 295/70r18's.

its been a pretty good ride for the most part and met my needs. However, the Coach builder shackles were enormous, and rubbed on my full size spare, even after I did some major cutting under there. the rear icons created a lot of shudder and bed bounce when braking and riding washboard forest roads up here in the PNW. the 6112's were a pretty good setup, but not without an occasional harsh ride at the top setting.

about a year ago, I installed some Foam Cell Pros shocks on my 97 FZJ80 and immediately noticed a vast improvement in ride quality.
I saw that Ironman4x4 America was up and running out of Portland, and reached out to Luke to ask about the kit. I was already sold on the Foam Cell Shocks from my cruiser, but learned that the kit came fully complete with adjustable coil-overs, full 6-leaf spring pack out back with u-bolts, and greasable shckles, bushings etc... I did have to assemble the coils on the struts, and these things are incredibly beefy. I bought a Shankly spring compressor on amazon, and it worked like a champ.

the performance coil springs are supposed to give 2-2.5" of lift, and then you can dial in the adjusters on the strut body to get the desired lift you want. I went up to 10" from center of the bottom mount to the lower collar. the recommended is 9.65" so I was thinking i'd get anywhere from 3-3.5" of lift going this route, as I already have aftermarket UCA's that can handle the additional angles, and a diff drop already installed.

I think i'm right at about 3.5" and have the 60mm of downtravel. was gonna see if they settle at all in the next few weeks, but it aligned fine at my local Toyota dealer. I may end up going down a 1/2" in the future. I'm just a tad high by a 1/2 in the front
IMG_3745.JPG
IMG_3802.JPG
IMG_3804.JPG
IMG_3824.JPG
IMG_3817.JPG

the springs out back gave me a solid 2" of lift over stock.

I did a shakedown run over about 30 miles of logging road up here in the North Cascades of Washington state, and it performed beautifully. I was going 40mph in places and it felt awesome. I would have never done that in my old Bilstein setup.

anyways, the new kit is a good option for Tundra guys. the price was fantastic, I paid 1550 ish for everything out the door, including free shipping.

the customer service from Luke and Chris were outstanding also. I see ironman 4x4 America doing big things in the near future. to my knowledge, i'm the first person to install this kit on a tundra.

Hey everyone. I've been running Bilstein 6112's on top setting for about 2.5" of lift, camburg UCA's, rear coach builder +2 shackles, and icon 2.0's on my 08 tundra for the last almost 4 years. I also have a diff drop, and cooper ST Maxx's 295/70r18's.

its been a pretty good ride for the most part and met my needs. However, the Coach builder shackles were enormous, and rubbed on my full size spare, even after I did some major cutting under there. the rear icons created a lot of shudder and bed bounce when braking and riding washboard forest roads up here in the PNW. the 6112's were a pretty good setup, but not without an occasional harsh ride at the top setting.

about a year ago, I installed some Foam Cell Pros shocks on my 97 FZJ80 and immediately noticed a vast improvement in ride quality.
I saw that Ironman4x4 America was up and running out of Portland, and reached out to Luke to ask about the kit. I was already sold on the Foam Cell Shocks from my cruiser, but learned that the kit came fully complete with adjustable coil-overs, full 6-leaf spring pack out back with u-bolts, and greasable shckles, bushings etc... I did have to assemble the coils on the struts, and these things are incredibly beefy. I bought a Shankly spring compressor on amazon, and it worked like a champ.

the performance coil springs are supposed to give 2-2.5" of lift, and then you can dial in the adjusters on the strut body to get the desired lift you want. I went up to 10" from center of the bottom mount to the lower collar. the recommended is 9.65" so I was thinking i'd get anywhere from 3-3.5" of lift going this route, as I already have aftermarket UCA's that can handle the additional angles, and a diff drop already installed.

I think i'm right at about 3.5" and have the 60mm of downtravel. was gonna see if they settle at all in the next few weeks, but it aligned fine at my local Toyota dealer. I may end up going down a 1/2" in the future. I'm just a tad high by a 1/2 in the frontView attachment 1998544View attachment 1998545View attachment 1998546View attachment 1998549View attachment 1998550
the springs out back gave me a solid 2" of lift over stock.

I did a shakedown run over about 30 miles of logging road up here in the North Cascades of Washington state, and it performed beautifully. I was going 40mph in places and it felt awesome. I would have never done that in my old Bilstein setup.

anyways, the new kit is a good option for Tundra guys. the price was fantastic, I paid 1550 ish for everything out the door, including free shipping.

the customer service from Luke and Chris were outstanding also. I see ironman 4x4 America doing big things in the near future. to my knowledge, i'm the first person to install this kit on a tundra.
It's been almost a year, any further thoughts? I am kicking around the Ironman kit which is on sale and the Falcon shock setup and possibly the Bilstein route.

It's been almost a year, any further thoughts? I am kicking around the Ironman kit which is on sale and the Falcon shock setup and possibly the Bilstein route.

No regrets, it’s been great. Handled weight perfectly in the bed, and I like have the adjustability up front.
Ride is totally compliant.
For the price you can do no better.

No regrets, it’s been great. Handled weight perfectly in the bed, and I like have the adjustability up front.
Ride is totally compliant.
For the price you can do no better.
Thanks for the reply and input.

How do the shackles fit? any gaps between the shackle/bushing and the frame?

No, the new leafs come with eyelet bushings that’s sit flush against the shackle. They’re greasable as well with a recess for the zerk fitting

IMG_20200626_183537234.jpg

That is what I ended up with after my install. I'm working with Ironman to iron it all out.

Did you tighten the pin all the way into the threaded shackle? Also mine are blue, the first generation. Maybe the green ones are alittle too wide?

Yes I tightened everything down.(including Pin) The guys at Ironman have gen 1 also on their trucks and seem to think I have the wrong pin.

How are you liking your setup? Not too many other tundras running this kit
I have not really got the chance to drive it much. I need to adjust the front a little lower and fix this shackle issue. I think it's going to be really nice for my style of off-road driving.

Just wanted to follow up on this with you guys, I just received my "Stage 2" kit, it now includes the UPA from Ironman, did you guys install it yourself? Did you run into anything that would be nice to know before starting the install? Thanks!

I installed mine. Pretty straight forward. Take your time and remove everything from the LCA. I tried to cheat and leave the sway bar connected. I could remove the old Coil over, but couldn't install the new longer one!!!

Chris from Ironman did a really good tundra install video. He did some stuff I would have never thought of like leaving the sway bars hooked up at the LCA’s and used a beef ratchet strap to pull the lower arms together to make room for the longer strut. I’ve lifted at least 10 Toyota’s and never thought of that.

Just watched the video and felt pretty confident about doing it myself, the one part I keep trying to figure out is if he was jacking the truck from the hitch when he was lifting the frame for the leaf springs to come up. other than that is just dealing with the huge bolt on the UCA, seems like a 2 person job.

Just watched the video and felt pretty confident about doing it myself, the one part I keep trying to figure out is if he was jacking the truck from the hitch when he was lifting the frame for the leaf springs to come up. other than that is just dealing with the huge bolt on the UCA, seems like a 2 person job.
It’s not too bad at all, I was able to do everything myself except the rear leafs (they’re just too heavy)
Been a number of years since I did my front camburg UCA’s, but I don’t remember it being bad at all. Lots of room to work in there as I recall. I might end up Changing those out to the Ironman UCA’s I don’t like how I have to run either wheel spacers or aftermarket wheel with backspacing or the camburg arms will rub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom