Ironman 4x4 coil springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought Ironman4x4 coil springs for my 2004 Lexus LX470. they seemed like a decent company to try for replacement suspension parts. I put in my information for year/make/model, and they sent me 0-440 load springs. I couldn’t get them on the car, so I had to take to my mechanic. They had to lower the rear to get them to fit and had a lot of trouble (labor) to get them installed. i can no longer lower the car, and it bounces all over the highway unless I have about 1000-1500pounds in the back. Been emailing since I had them installed, with very little communication response. So I called today, and the guy said “sorry about your luck. Sometimes it doesn’t work out and you win some and you lose some.“ So I’m out over $500 because their product doesn’t work even though it was supposed to be a direct replacement. They offered no refund due to them being “used” but could “discount” me some shocks if I wanted to do a whole “AHC delete”. I was going to buy their awning and tent for the beach, but now I will steer clear of that company. Sorry, had to vent. Never had customer no-service like that before.

I assume you get the TOY013B ? Even if they are rate 229lb/In, they still 485/495mm height which is rather tall.

Maybe your AHC system don't understand what's going on and calibrate your suspension inappropriately? Have you adjusted your heights sensor?

You bought rear lift coils for your LX and expect them to work with your AHC? This was not Ironman's fault but your own for not doing your due diligence. If you intended on keeping your AHC you should have went with a stock height coil soring meant for AHC equipped vehicles. All Ironman sells is lift coils.

I got the TOY013B springs. I didn’t know all they sold were lift coils. I always try to go OEM or better on replacement products, and I thought I would try to support a smaller business rather than Toyota in this case. I guess I am the dumb consumer that plugs in year/make/model and expects the product to work. I saw they were 0-440 so I thought that was normal height, normal load. I am not a lift/overlander kind of person; I figured I had 317k on the truck, and it was due for some fresh springs.

i will try to adjust the rear height sensor this weekend before I order OEM Toyota coil springs. Thanks for that tip.

Unfortunately, this is on you as the consumer. The springs do fit and they do provide the stated increased load-bearing ability, just as advertised in Ironman’s catalog. You just don’t like how the truck rides with them. On the bright side, you can get most of your money back (but probably not all) by selling them in the Classifieds section here on Mud.

Their customer service is actually really good. I ordered a set of Ironman leaf springs for my pickup but they didn’t fit (were 4” too short to bolt up to the shackles). Turns out there was an error in Ironman’s catalog that caused them to send the wrong springs. They worked with me to find the correct springs and shipped them to me for a direct exchange and paid the shipping costs for me to send the incorrect springs back, all at no additional charge to me. 5-star service.

I've got to echo the others. It seems that you bought spring before you understood the suspension system of your vehicle. The Ironman springs are intended for the LC with a conventional suspension or a total replacement of the AHC suspension on the LX. They're just totally the wrong springs to add to an AHC equipped 100.

The mix up is definitely a bummer, but as said above you, you can probably resell them and recoup a good chunk of your money.

I would research increased load springs for AHC. One of my 100 series buddies just installed some King springs to run with AHC. I don't know the King model but he is very happy with the ride and handling.

Once you get the replacement springs installed, I don't think you will have trouble selling the Ironmans.

Note the I have shipped coil springs in a pair that were unboxed and tied together with industrial-strength zip ties via FedEx without an issue. It helps to have the boxes when shipping. Don't sweat it if you don't have them.

Change the title of the thread. Misleadingly throwing shade at a great company for something that is clearly the OPs own fault.

Agree with other posts here, my experience with @Ironman 4x4 USA has been great. 5 star customer service and quality products that very competitively priced. For AHC you need to be careful as to what springs you chose. The ones you picked up would work great if you were replacing the AHC with a traditional static suspension system.

I've just installed the coil springs you are talking about, they are great. I have removed the AHC system and all the load is on the coil spring.

With the AHC system the weight is distributed between "AHC-Shock" and Coil spring. The standard coil springs for AHC are a lot weaker/thinner than the NON-AHC springs. With the AHC system you will need AHC springs, without the AHC system you will need the "Normal / NON-AHC" springs. Ironman only sells " Normal / NON-AHC" springs.

If you want to keep the AHC system you will need to order the OEM AHC springs from Toyota, or if you want increased load capacity you can order the King Springs KTRS-79 for increased load capacity.

Hate to pile on, but no - Ironman springs (and their customer service) don't suck... your research did. As a side/related note, your experience does highlight the upside of finding a good shop that knows these trucks.

Full disclosure - I have Ironman springs, shocks and TBs in my non-ACH '06 and love them.

Summary:

AHC vehicles require COMPLETELY different springs compared to non-AHC vehicles. They are the same size and shape, but the essence of AHC dictates drastically different spring rates.

Nobody should be using Ironman or ARB springs as a first try for their AHC vehicle.

If your LX is your daily and you have no extra armor/weight, you may want to try 30mm spacers. Available through Slee and they reduce rear pressures by about .5 Mpa. Pressures are the only reason you should be changing out springs. If you haven't measured pressures (need Techstream) then changing out springs blindly might be a fool's errand.

Sell those coils. Should get some of your $$ back. Unfortunately, Ironman, ARB and Dobinsons assume AHC has been removed - because that's how they make $. AHC is their competitor and they appear to prefer to not acknowledge its existence.

Looks like you were able to find some answers, please send me a message if you need anything in the future and thanks to everyone that is running our suspension and giving love. Definitely care about our customers!

^^^ Ironman 4x4 FTW ^^^

OP, please adjust title of thread and own your oversight. Some suggested alternatives are...

A. I goofed and it turns out it's NOT Ironman 4x4's fault
B. I misunderstood my AHC requirements and mistakenly blamed a great company
C. Dear Diary, Ironman 4x4 is a really cool company...

/thread

I am sure the OP would realize his mistake if he'd log back into this thread to read the responses(last time he was here was an hour or 2 after he posted this thread). It is unfair IMO to keep beating up on him. I suggest that the admins should simply lock this thread.

I won't comment on the OPs issue, just wanted to throw in a comment that I visited their USA store last month, and I was pleased with the experience. I haven't had to return anything, so take it with a grain of salt. I'd hope anyone throwing money at them would be treated well :hillbilly:

That said, I had a nice long discussion with one of their salesmen about my objectives and he was more than happy to dive into any sorts of details. No pressure at all, and he even talked me out of buying some stuff from them. I think that speaks volumes when the salesman is willing to give honest answers to make sure the customer meets their needs even if it means losing some sales. Lots of nicely built staff Toyotas in the parking lot. Nice to be somewhere that speaks Toyota and not just Jeep Jeep Jeep! At any rate, thought I'd share my experience, I don't have anything to gain by leaving a comment. Mileage may vary I'm sure...

I took out my AHC many yrs ago and replaced with OE LC susp for a few yrs. Then threw on the IM nitro kit, with 0-440 springs, and the ride was fantastic. Enjoyed it for a short while because of new mods… then soon upgraded to FCP shocks and 440-880springs… (metal fr bumper, drawers, fridge), etc. ride is good but since my setup keeps changing now (metal rear bumper etc), im still chasing the perfect ride … just threw on the IM 880 extra HD springs. overall was very happy with the base kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom