IR 231G throttle stuck open....wtf? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.octagonmma.com
This impact wrench has been flawless for several years. Yesterday I hooked up to the air hose and it just spins like crazy. Can't figure out what happened. I don't know enough about the settings except forward and reverse and the torque setting 0-5....took out the trigger spring and little valve under it, gun wasn't really dirty.

Anyway either I take it to IR service center or fix it.

Hi all,

alex e, please post up what the repair center says happened to this tool.

I have a IR 231 impact also, would like to know "just in case!" ;)

Thanks,

Alan

The throttle on those is very simple. If the spring isn't rusted, it's the push rod from the tricker to the valve that gets stuck from debris or rust. Removing and cleaning it often solves the problem.

:whoops: The "G" model has the teasing type throttle, nicer to use, but less reliable. Most likely the problem is the throttle seat, #6 in the diagram, part # 131-303. Remove it by pulling with a hook, install by pushing it in with an appropriately sized socket and extension.

Untitled-1.jpg

IR service center here in Dallas charges $90 for a rebuild. It looks like this thing is not even worth 70 bucks anymore. Really pisses me off as this wrench is in great shape. I believe the problem is that oring #6 has blown apart - it seemed like there was rubber debris in the gun itself. When I tore it down the front of the gun was very difficult to get back together and I still haven't been able to fit it all snugly back together even though I have the parts diagram. Parts #31 are tough to line up. So everything sort of slips around and I cannot get the outer face #39 to line up, contain everything inside it and mate with the rear of the gun to put everything back together and seal it up. I really don't feel like buying a new wrench either.

Last edited:
How about sending to a Cruiserhead with a tool company?!!!!!

BOOM. Problem solved. Problem staying solved.

Hi all,

Who would that be alex e?

-Alan

How about sending to a Cruiserhead with a tool company?!!!!!

BOOM. Problem solved. Problem staying solved.

Alan,
I'm going to guess Tools R Us but, I've been wrong before.

B

And so many years later....Tools R Us to the rescue again. My 231G was great until yesterday, had to replace a couple of front studs on the 80, and throttle stuck open all of a sudden. That rubber washer is shredded, ordering new one, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom