iPad, case, RAM holder and Mount, and GPS for Gaia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
So, I thought I'd post what I came up with.

Bought a 6th gen, 9.7" iPad on ebay with no cell capbility for $260.
I bought bad elf with lighting connector for about $100
I bought this case on Amazon for $15.00
iPad 6th Generation Cases, iPad Case, iPad 9.7 Inch Case, Hybrid Shockproof Rugged Drop Protection Cover Built with Kickstand for iPad 9.7 inch A1893 / A1954 / A1822 / A1823
I bought this RAM iPad mount for $65
RAM Mounts (RAM-HOL-TABL20U)

Which does not include the ball mount or the mount for the car end - which I already had.

I had to clearance the case and the RAM for the Bad Elf - but it wasn't much.

IMG_4908.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

IMG_4906.jpg

How do you like that bad elf? I use the bad elf pro plus that uses blue tooth to connect. So far I have been super impressed with the accuracy and connection to both apple and android products.

Haven't field tested it yet, I will this weekend, but it seems fine.

Jumping in here with a question. Is the non-cell iPad with the Bad Elf a superior solution to a cell-equipped iPad? I know the cell-equipped iPad's have GPS. Is it not as good as something like the Bad Elf?

I believe that both versions of the iPad have a gps. What the cellular model adds is the ability to continually download new map data and to use cellular triangulation to help with geolocation.

However the bad elf is an external gps that has a far superior antenna that can receive every existing gps signal.

So far the best result I have seen is a tablet with the map data already downloaded and the bad elf to locate yourself within that map data.

@1986blue60 - I'm 99% sure that the GPS is tied to the cellular data.

From the interweb -
The GPS module is built into the cellular module, so if you buy a Wi-Fi version, there is no GPS capability.
GPS does not entirely rely on a cellular signal; it only speeds up synchronization. Even without any cellular service, GPS will still work fine.

I'd love a better ipad mount. Also, dying for a Ram mount that has a magnet on the end (Like Mob Armor).

If that gives you any ideas.

And, what's holding the beofang?

@1986blue60 - I'm 99% sure that the GPS is tied to the cellular data.

From the interweb -
The GPS module is built into the cellular module, so if you buy a Wi-Fi version, there is no GPS capability.
GPS does not entirely rely on a cellular signal; it only speeds up synchronization. Even without any cellular service, GPS will still work fine.
This was my understanding as well...

Oh and i designed and printed the ram mount for the ipad and ham

Can you provide some more info? I am desperately looking for a nice/clean way to mount a tablet to a RAM Tough Track attached above the Nav Screen in my '18 200-Series. I don't want all the bulk of multiple RAM arms if I can avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom