Introductions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ60 owner here, when is the December meeting? We love our FJ60 but... low to no compression in #5... So usful suggestions welcome :)

Used motor or chevy swap, the best way to go is a good used 2f or 3f, watch the classifieds here on mud or give George a call at valley hybrids, he gets 2f's every now and then when people do swaps.. good luck, the meetings are posted at the top, usually second thursday of the month...

A current FJ60 owner here. I've spent a little time in the Elko area, the 60 is a great choice for the trails/roads out there.

Just a suggestion, but while you have the coolant out back flush the heater system. No heat seems to be a common complaint with the 60 series. Mine had basically no heat when I got it. I hooked the garden hose to the return line, disconnected the supply line and turned the water on full pressure, let it run for a few minutes that way and now the heater will cook you out of the truck.

Got everything tore off the front of the engine, just have to flush the head and block. I have plans to flush the heater core too. Ran compression, 135 was the lowest and 150 was the highest, so that was pleasing. Got all the smog stuff out. Found some depressing "features" that have took the wind out of my sails. O well, I need to order parts and get it put back together so I can get other issues sorted out.

Hey guys,
Relatively new to Reno, came from the Grand
Junction area. Planning to come to Mtg Four. Got a blacked out / Durabacked FZJ80.
- Going to Cruise Moab if anyone wants to caravan.
- Looking to do DV and Rubicon with anyone who wants to...!
- Always up for mechanical mischief except I'm a bit noob.

Hey Iceaxe,
Will look forward to seeing you at the meeting. I know we have some guys who do the DV thing and a few of us also hit the rubicon a few times a year. If you have questions about mechanical stuff there are some guys in the club who are very knowledgeable. And some of us have been there and done that when it comes to fixing something. See ya soon.

Thanks Krusty. I can't make tonight after all... putting out fires at work that I can't seem to squelch. That said, I'm here and very interested in doing runs with you guys! Just PM me...

Welcome Iceaxe.
I'm trying to get my crappola together to make a Cruiser Moab run in a couple weeks. Trailering my 40.
Taking a test drive to Gerlach this weekend. Trucks are running OK, but the brand new trailer brakes are giving me headaches with one hub running up to 170* - even on short trips! All options exhausted, I'm putting some miles on hoping to break the hub in. Should have more info after this weekend.
Paul

Crappola definitely not together. Trailer hub ran 220* coming back from Carson City sominabiscuit! It only ran 110* on the way down. Now I find out that I'm due to give expert testimony on April 29th in Redding. So much for Cruise Moab for me this year. Better luck to anyone else still trying to make the dream come true!

Hello all,

My name is Justin and i plan to join BBCNN and will be at the meeting tomorrow night.
I am a full time student at the University and a part time seller of shoes. I don't have much free time but i will be on every run i can get the time off for. My cruiser is a 97 40th edition fzj80, with the factory lockers. It also has a 2.5inch OME lift and is painted in white monstaliner. I am currently pinching pennies for 315/75r16 duratracs.

I come from a cruiser family and love to talk all things Toyota. My first car was a 87 FJ60, i no longer have that because my dad dropped a 1HD-T and the Toyota 5 speed in it and was then dubbed too nice/BADASS for me.

My other hobbies are mountain biking, backpacking, skiing and drinking beer.

Feel free to pm me if you need extra hands for mechanical work, I'm always looking to learn.

New fj60 owner here, have an 85 lifted on an OME 2.5-3" heavy lift and 33x10.5 General Grabber Red Labels wrapped around a set of the Standard 15x7 Method Race Wheels.
Full time truck mechanic, always down to help out with working on a rig.

Hello all,

My name is Justin and i plan to join BBCNN and will be at the meeting tomorrow night.
I am a full time student at the University and a part time seller of shoes. I don't have much free time but i will be on every run i can get the time off for. My cruiser is a 97 40th edition fzj80, with the factory lockers. It also has a 2.5inch OME lift and is painted in white monstaliner. I am currently pinching pennies for 315/75r16 duratracs.

I come from a cruiser family and love to talk all things Toyota. My first car was a 87 FJ60, i no longer have that because my dad dropped a 1HD-T and the Toyota 5 speed in it and was then dubbed too nice/BADASS for me.

My other hobbies are mountain biking, backpacking, skiing and drinking beer.

Feel free to pm me if you need extra hands for mechanical work, I'm always looking to learn.

Justin, think you have come to the right place then. I normally don't make many summer meetings just because it is hard for me to justify multiple trips to Reno in my 60 with gas like it is. But I will make the occasional one when I can in the Fall/Winter/Spring and am always down to ride if time permits. I live in Carson so takes a few to get up there but if you aren't local to the area we have some great trails around here. There are a few of us that ride but have yet to get a group ride together yet!

Oh and for new tires, look at the Cooper S/T Maxx instead of the Duratrac's. Plenty of people are happy with the DTs but they feel that they are overly soft tread and don't last very long (talk to @KWalkerM about his experiences). I have been running my S/T Maxx for about a year now and love them thus far, great road manners, low noise and the few times I have had them offroad they have done great. Haven't had them in more than a dusting of that white stuff the falls from the sky and melts quickly....

New fj60 owner here, have an 85 lifted on an OME 2.5-3" heavy lift and 33x10.5 General Grabber Red Labels wrapped around a set of the Standard 15x7 Method Race Wheels.
Full time truck mechanic, always down to help out with working on a rig.

Like the methods! Good to know that we have a full blown mechanic on our hands here, not just a bunch of Shade Trees! :moon:
I am sure that I will probably use your help in the near future.

Justin, think you have come to the right place then. I normally don't make many summer meetings just because it is hard for me to justify multiple trips to Reno in my 60 with gas like it is. But I will make the occasional one when I can in the Fall/Winter/Spring and am always down to ride if time permits. I live in Carson so takes a few to get up there but if you aren't local to the area we have some great trails around here. There are a few of us that ride but have yet to get a group ride together yet!

Oh and for new tires, look at the Cooper S/T Maxx instead of the Duratrac's. Plenty of people are happy with the DTs but they feel that they are overly soft tread and don't last very long (talk to @KWalkerM about his experiences). I have been running my S/T Maxx for about a year now and love them thus far, great road manners, low noise and the few times I have had them offroad they have done great. Haven't had them in more than a dusting of that white stuff the falls from the sky and melts quickly....

Thanks for the welcome and tire recommendation. I want my tire to preform well in all areas, but snow/ice is an area i want it to do extremely well in. After driving my dads 60 on Duratracs across Wyoming in a full on blizzard I know the Duratracs meet my standards. I plan on driving out to Denver in January and I drive over donor pass into California to see my parents as often as i can.

Hey there,

My name is Jester. I'm from HI and grew up in Vegas. I've lived in Reno since 2008 and recently bought a 2008 Taco. I used to have a 95 two door XJ and loved going on the trails in Upstate NY... oh yeah, I lived in NY for four years and that's where the XJ was bought and sold; tear.

I've been checking out Reno trail videos on You Tube and have been looking for a Toyota/Taco club up here in Reno. I don't look at doing anything too crazy in the taco. I've been on a few trails and climbed a few hills. It has a Pro Comp 6" lift, but other than that it's pretty much stock and my everyday driver, but I am open to ideas.

JESTER

I'm from reno and try to go out and wheel at least once a week. If you ever wanna join, send me a pm and we can link up sometime!

New to Reno.
My son and I just bought a 1986 FJ60 as a father and son project. Sorry to have missed the February meeting. For a frame off restoration and body shop recommendations in the Reno area? We are figuring to pull the engine for a "super Freaky" rebuild by RedLine Cruisers with an upgrade to a 5 speed transmission. I figure, perhaps naively, that with the body off and the engine/transmission out then we can redo the the suspension with an old man emu upgrade.
I look forward to meeting some of y'all at the next meeting and sorting through the forums for advice.
Mike

New to Reno.
My son and I just bought a 1986 FJ60 as a father and son project. Sorry to have missed the February meeting. For a frame off restoration and body shop recommendations in the Reno area? We are figuring to pull the engine for a "super Freaky" rebuild by RedLine Cruisers with an upgrade to a 5 speed transmission. I figure, perhaps naively, that with the body off and the engine/transmission out then we can redo the the suspension with an old man emu upgrade.
I look forward to meeting some of y'all at the next meeting and sorting through the forums for advice.
Mike

Greetings Mike and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have a full plan for your 60 which is awsome. You will find a ton of info here on mud, It seems to be an endless read for me. Father son projects are great and is how I got started with cruisers. My fist car was a 60 which I spent many hours on with my dad. I have no advice for you about frame off restorations and body shops in the Reno but I'm sure someone will. If you want to go on a trail run and the 60 is under work and not drivable, shoot me a pm, I always have open seats in my 80. See you on the trail soon!

@Michael Thomas lots really will depend on what your budget is and what your ultimate plan with the truck is...
Plenty of good body shops but you are going to want to look more for the hot rod type shops as the new places will really only deal with the plug n play type panel replacement of newer vehicles..

Thought, if this is a father and son job why not look at purchasing your own welder and taking some beginner welding classes together. This is where a large majority of your restoration will be, depending on the condition of your shell, and then in paint which can be a little easier to find (hell you can get a MAACO job for less than $3k).

Anyways, come over to the 60 section and take a look. Parts should keep OEM where you can through guys like Beno (Onur, who is a user on here) and we have Valley Hybrid in Stockton California that can provide a lot of other items. Georg at Valley is great to work with and you will want to spend a day just rummaging around his shop.

New to Reno as of last summer. I learned to drive on a 79 Landcruiser. I use to own a old Lincoln I called the battlecruiser (because it was too big to be just a land boat) so when I bought my FJC last year and found out about this group, I just knew I had to join. We have been offroading all around with the FJ stock and so far I have only gotten stuck once. In two weeks I get my 3 inch lift and TK02's. So after that the sky is the limit. As far as I can tell I think I might have the only Magma FJ in Sparks/Reno, so you may have seen me around. Hope to meet you all soon.

New to Reno as of last summer. I learned to drive on a 79 Landcruiser. I use to own a old Lincoln I called the battlecruiser (because it was too big to be just a land boat) so when I bought my FJC last year and found out about this group, I just knew I had to join. We have been offroading all around with the FJ stock and so far I have only gotten stuck once. In two weeks I get my 3 inch lift and TK02's. So after that the sky is the limit. As far as I can tell I think I might have the only Magma FJ in Sparks/Reno, so you may have seen me around. Hope to meet you all soon.

MAGMA, now that's a name for a color!
What size tire are you going to run with that 3 inches of awesome you are about to put on?

And welcome! Hopefully you can make it to the next meeting and/or the next trail run:steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom