Introductions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTW, I LOVE the Death Valley area!!
Its one of my happy places! Do a run down there annually.
When we plan a run, it's posted here in the "sticky" section.
What's been happening lately, is we get a feel of who can and can't go via the posts here and a couple days before make a determination if the runs a go, or not. It's entirely dependent on number of rigs. Less than three... It'll likely be canceled.
Keep an eye out here for the runs.
We get more active as the waether gets better.
What types of trails are you in to?

K

I love the DV area and the panamints. I do several trips a year there. I joined the Eastern Sierra 4wd club initially but would always try to do their DV trips. I felt they did not do enough down there so I joined Panamint Valley.com and that club has so much knowledge of that area that not only is it fun but it is very educational. Some of my friends live down there, and all they do is wheel.

As for trails that I enjoy, I will do pretty much anything but really try to limit body damage. My rig has lockers front and rear as well as armor and I just dropped an H41 transmission in it to get a 19% lower gear ratio than stock. My wheeling has pretty much been limited to the eastern sierras and Panamint Valley. Haven't done rubicon, fordyce, or Moab. Hope to soon. Jeremy said he will take me on the Rubicon.

I followed your build thread and I was blown away. Look forward to meeting you guys. If you ever get the urge to do a trip in the Panamints, let me know. I can always put together a group of guys that will go. 3 rigs is very easy for me down there and although I will not say I know enough to be the leader, the guys I know are 2nd to none. Even if you wanted to do Isham Canyon, my friend has done it 100s of times and is the best spotter around.

Rick

Got the note.

Some buddy put a note on my 87 Fj60 yesterday. Got it and thanks.

Second owner of 1987 tan with 267k. I love my truck!

Trent D.

Some buddy put a note on my 87 Fj60 yesterday. Got it and thanks.

Second owner of 1987 tan with 267k. I love my truck!

Trent D.

Welcome!:cheers:

Glad you got it. I actually looked at that cruiser when it was parked out at Costco for sale. Good looking truck and glad you got my note. Hope to see you at the next club meeting or if nothing else you will see me around town, I have a grey 60 with retro plates that say FJ6TY.

COOL!!! :)

Keep seeing a nice 80 series out near a certain rural prison bout 545 am. Just wondering if its anyone here?

Greetings...This is Rocky & Judy M. from Reno.

I attended my first meeting 9/11/14 and it was a pretty good group of guys that made me feel very welcome.

Re: our vehicle(s)....My first rig was a '76 FJ40 back in 1981-83. We decided to acquire another when Judy announced that she wanted a Polaris Razor-type off road vehicle. Knowing that that required a trailer and that it could not be driven on the highways, a TLC seemed a better choice. We found a 71 FJ40 that had undergone substantial restoration when the guy ran out of $$$. So...we grabbed it. We have yet to have this "new" one on the road for it is having some final mechanical work performed on it by my brother-n-law but it should be roadworthy by the first snowfall.

We look forward to Exploratory drives in the mountains and desert looking for long misplaced "stuff" and probably not much into rock climbing.

Thanks for the opportunity to be here.

Would like to attend one of your meetings just to pick a few brains and get some ideas. 1st LC ever always liked em so I picked up a '93. When is your next meet would like to attend

Meetings are always on the second thursday of the month at 6:30 at round table pizza on Damonte(sp?) in Reno. Glad to have you at the meetings anytime. Kieth the Pres. usually posts it up on the board about a week before. See you there.

What are your plans for the 60???
How are you planning on using the 60?
There are a number of us here who have or had 60 series rigs. Myself being one. Loved it except for the lack of power. Still, one of my favorite rigs.

Thanks for posting up here.

K

I think I am the only member that continually drives my 60, but then again I am young and poor so we only have two cars. :p:hillbilly:
My truck is usually pretty easy to spot, lots of stickers on the back, tan lower tailgate and 80s blue license plate that says FJ6TY.

Get it running and driving for now. Has a nasty coolant leak and some other issues. It will do the hunting, camping, extended off road trips, weekend cruiser duties. Sooner than later will be a small lift, and armor. Eventually lockers, gears, and all those fun goodies. Maybe someday I will transplant something a little more hp in it, but I'm not too worried for now.

Last edited:
skidooman PM me I will give you my number, I work for the Railroad and am in Elko, 3-4 days a week, if you need something from Reno I can usually bring it with me.. I will also introduce you to climber8483 he is over there and has a fj40 he is working on..

A current FJ60 owner here. I've spent a little time in the Elko area, the 60 is a great choice for the trails/roads out there.

Just a suggestion, but while you have the coolant out back flush the heater system. No heat seems to be a common complaint with the 60 series. Mine had basically no heat when I got it. I hooked the garden hose to the return line, disconnected the supply line and turned the water on full pressure, let it run for a few minutes that way and now the heater will cook you out of the truck.

A current FJ60 owner here. I've spent a little time in the Elko area, the 60 is a great choice for the trails/roads out there.

Just a suggestion, but while you have the coolant out back flush the heater system. No heat seems to be a common complaint with the 60 series. Mine had basically no heat when I got it. I hooked the garden hose to the return line, disconnected the supply line and turned the water on full pressure, let it run for a few minutes that way and now the heater will cook you out of the truck.

Hmmmm... I might have to try this. Once upon a time when I first got my truck I could turn the heater on and it would get almost nuclear hot inside if I let it run full bore for 15ish minutes (usually warming up in the morning). Then early last year the t-stat went and I swapped but the heat was never the same. Heater still gets hot but nowhere near as hot as it used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom