Introductions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi.

Some of you may recognize my name from Reno4x4... maybe

I'm Max, I'm from all over but ended up in Pershing County for a few years before moving up to Reno, been here a few years as well.

I really like exploring remote areas and unfamiliar places.

I drive an 07 Tacoma. Wish I had a cruiser as well. Hope to make it on a few runs with you guys if you'll permit my Taco. :)

IMG_7199.jpg

Been wanting to head in a different direction so hopefully within a year I'll sell the Tacoma and buy a full sized DD. I picked up a 92 FJ80 with 226,xxx miles on it. The engine runs and it drives but it gushes oil at a pretty good rate. Plan is to pull the engine, see what needs done, possibly fix it depending on how much $$ in parts. At any rate before long I plan on swapping a 6bt, successively 1 tons.

Nothing special but I only paid $1k and I'm excited to start working on it.

:cheers:

3nc3L13Hf5H95M75Jdd1u165a0610cafb1591_zpsb8af37c8.jpg

Good luck, it sounds like a very ambitious plan. 6bt's are very large heavy motors. Are you thinking 12 valve, 24 valve or Common Rail? My vote simply from a NVH standpoint is a CR 5.9.

Jack

Thanks! Probably a VE pump 12 valve, P if that's what turns up. Definitely 12 valve though. 5.9 CR while sweet is definitely ambitious.

Thoughts are currently: 12 valve VE pump, A518, NP 205, dana 60 f and 1 ton whatever rear. I was considering running the stock A440F trans and t-case and stock axles for a while but seems like it wouldn't last long. Probably push the 5.9 to around 300 hp.

Thinking probably swap the whole drivetrain minus axles in the first stage, then worry about axles after I've got the rest tuned and solid.

Though with the one guy in Portland working on that kit to swap in a 6bt it does make it more attractive to consider running stock everything but maybe running a ruffstuff 9.5 front with longs or something.

Anyway... work in progress. It'll be a while.

Last edited:
I may have a couple questions about the 3FE in the meanwhile, which I'll get to when I start pulling it. First thing I noticed was that a myriad of vacuum lines were cut and capped. Needs a good pressure washing underneath and I'm waiting on some shop space to clear up then we'll tear into her.

If I'm not mistaken the 3FE shares the same block as the 2F.

Many times the majority of oil leaks in a 2F block can be fixed by simply replacing the pan gasket.

Beware!!!! do not use the 2 piece gasket you can get from NAPA or Autozone. This is the voice of experience speaking.

Get a single piece gasket from CruiserDan AKA Dan Busey at Amreican Toyota http://www.americantoyota.com/index.htm or Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters.
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/

I know Kurt is a good guy and they're in SLC so pretty close, I'll probably pick something up from him. Probably looking at a head gasket and complete gasket kit.

Last edited:
My name is Mike, I'm a regular lurker, occasional poster here on Mud.

I ran across the post about tonight's meeting and am planning on attending, I've been eyeing your club for years, but the timing never was right when I lived up at the lake. The subject matter at today's special meeting especially interests me.

I caught the wheeling bug when I purchased an '85 4Runner. It was just dumb luck I got the perfect vehicle and the perfect year (EFI & SFA), I just wanting a snow car (I was looking at Subis too!) for the mountains and as luck would have it I found a great truck!
Moving to Tahoe helped as there were great trails literally leaving from my neighborhood.

Years later I sold the 4Runner for an FJ60 and continued the fun.

I wheeled quite a bit when I lived up there, and that mostly stopped when I left the area about five years ago.

I've been back in the region for a couple years now and am looking to get back to regular wheeling. I finally got my dream vehicle, FZJ80, last year and am looking to take her out more. So far she's only been a little bit up Hunter Lake Road and some wheeling around the Black Rock. The 60 now mostly sits out on the street, occasionally getting red tagged by the PD. :whoops:

My name is Mike, I'm a regular lurker, occasional poster here on Mud.

I ran across the post about tonight's meeting and am planning on attending, I've been eyeing your club for years, but the timing never was right when I lived up at the lake. The subject matter at today's special meeting especially interests me.

I caught the wheeling bug when I purchased an '85 4Runner. It was just dumb luck I got the perfect vehicle and the perfect year (EFI & SFA), I just wanting a snow car (I was looking at Subis too!) for the mountains and as luck would have it I found a great truck!
Moving to Tahoe helped as there were great trails literally leaving from my neighborhood.

Years later I sold the 4Runner for an FJ60 and continued the fun.

I wheeled quite a bit when I lived up there, and that mostly stopped when I left the area about five years ago.

I've been back in the region for a couple years now and am looking to get back to regular wheeling. I finally got my dream vehicle, FZJ80, last year and am looking to take her out more. So far she's only been a little bit up Hunter Lake Road and some wheeling around the Black Rock. The 60 now mostly sits out on the street, occasionally getting red tagged by the PD. :whoops:

Mike,
Thank for posting up and as I recall, you were also at the meeting last night?
Hope to see you at the future meetings and on the runs.
Remember...were here to help YOU spend YOUR MONEY on your rig! :D

Mike,
Thank for posting up and as I recall, you were also at the meeting last night?
Hope to see you at the future meetings and on the runs.
Remember...were here to help YOU spend YOUR MONEY on your rig! :D

Yep, I was there, and unless something unforeseen happens, I'll be there next month as well.

Just consider me joined! :cheers:

My name is Dan Reich. I just moved to Reno from Corvallis Oregon. I love to hunt, fish, wheel, mountain bike, and pretty much everything else that happens outside.I bought A 1997 locked 80 from RAYJON in December. I work for the Legislature and they are in session right now so I haven't had much time to wheel, but that will change this summer. I have attended one of your meetings, but I had my kids with me, so I did not participate very much. I look forward to getting to know all of you and learning more about the trails in the area. Here is a pic of my new rig.

012.jpg

004.jpg

Welcome Dan! I remember you being at the meeting as that was my first meeting with the group as well. Look forward to seeing you at more meetings and looks like our mtn biking ranks are starting to grow, we need to get a group together and go ride this spring/summer/fall. I live and work in Carson and know all the trails pretty well so if you bring your bike with you one evening for a ride we can hit up Ash Canyon or Centennial Park.

Welcome Dan! I remember you being at the meeting as that was my first meeting with the group as well. Look forward to seeing you at more meetings and looks like our mtn biking ranks are starting to grow, we need to get a group together and go ride this spring/summer/fall. I live and work in Carson and know all the trails pretty well so if you bring your bike with you one evening for a ride we can hit up Ash Canyon or Centennial Park.

Greg,
That sounds good! I actually rode Ash Canyon in the mornings all summer and into the fall. It would be great to have someone to ride with. I haven't ridden Centennial Park, but have heard good things about it. Here is a pic from the last time I rode Ash Canyon. Chive on!

002.jpg

Absolutely dude I am always looking for more people to ride with. Ash canyon is a great network of trails albeit short. Centennial will give that Y-Body a workout for sure.

And great to have another CHIVER!!

Just moved to Reno and JUST signed into ih8mud. I don't own a cruiser but that may change being that my wife is using her brothers 98 for field work in Arkansas this week and she loves it. She has a 2000 T4R and I have a 95 Tacoma. We both would love to learn more about proper 4x4 use in the high desert. Coming from an area (Northwest Arkansas) with trees and lots of water this is a new experience.
Cheers!

Just moved to Reno and JUST signed into ih8mud. I don't own a cruiser but that may change being that my wife is using her brothers 98 for field work in Arkansas this week and she loves it. She has a 2000 T4R and I have a 95 Tacoma. We both would love to learn more about proper 4x4 use in the high desert. Coming from an area (Northwest Arkansas) with trees and lots of water this is a new experience.
Cheers!

Welcome Konah to Reno and Mud! Sounds like you have the perfect storm to go cruiser shopping good luck!

Yes... Welcome!!
We TRY to do runs as a club once a month and also some of us get together independently and do runs.
This is an AMAZING area to live w/ simply fantastic wheeling, camping and scenery.

Hope you get the chance to do a run.

Keith

Cheers!

Welcome to the area from a fellow Razorback. I grew up in Jasper. Where abouts are you from?

I will second or third what a great area Reno is. There is almost limitless directions and places available to go and explore and it's all open unlike the midwest/east where everything is private property.

Jack

Want to join in

Hello. My name is Rick and I have a cruiser addiction. Also a big game hunting addiction but that is another story. I live in Crowley Lake, CA but lived in Reno about 10 years. BBCNN is the closest TLCA club to me. I belong to two other 4x4 clubs, Eastern Sierra 4wd Club and a club based out of Panamint Valley, but would prefer hanging with the yota crowd. I am good friends with 24hrsofNV and he referred me to you guys.

I have owned several toyota 4x4s over the last two decades, mostly mini trucks, but have joined the vintage FJ ranks.

I currently own an 83 fj60 SOA. It is my family expedition rig. Hope to be getting a fj40 in the near future. My wife says no more FJ but I think I can pull one more build out of her before she leaves me.;)

I work shift work, and am on nights for the next few years, so it is hard to make meetings but may be able to do a few runs.

Would love to get a couple of t shirts, so where do I send my $ for that and membership dues?

To see my rig, check out my garage.

Look forward to hitting the trails with you,
Rick

Last edited:
Hello. My name is Rick and I have a cruiser addiction. Also a big game hunting addiction but that is another story. I live in Crowley Lake, CA but lived in Reno about 10 years. BBCNN is the closest TLCA club to me. I belong to two other 4x4 clubs, Eastern Sierra 4wd Club and a club based out of Panamint Valley, but would prefer hanging with the yota crowd. I am good friends with 24hrsofNV and he referred me to you guys.

I have owned several toyota 4x4s over the last two decades, mostly mini trucks, but have joined the vintage FJ ranks.

I currently own an 83 fj60 SOA. It is my family expedition rig. Hope to be getting a fj40 in the near future. My wife says no more FJ but I think I can pull one more build out of her before she leaves me.;)

I work shift work, and am on nights for the next few years, so it is hard to make meetings but may be able to do a few runs.

Would love to get a couple of t shirts, so where do I send my $ for that and membership dues?

To see my rig, check out my garage.

Look forward to hitting the trails with you,
Rick

Thanks for posting up in here Rick!!
Wheeling and club runs has been pretty spotty as people have rigs in various states of repair and LIFE happening, but we'd love to have you along when we get something going.
How far away are you from Reno?
I too had a 62. Great rig and loved it, except for the motor. Lol!!
T shirts are pending. Well post up an order form (of sorts) when we get that underway.

Keith

Crowley Lake is on 395

I'm not too far south of Reno. I am only about 2.5 hours south of Reno on 395. But driving a cruiser is probably more like 3 hours. My rig is pretty much ready to go any day now. Hope to get a ride in with you guys in the spring.

Let me know when the shirts are ready and I will send some money for the membership dues and shirts.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom