Introductions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello, My name's Steve and I must have signed up for this forum when I got a '02 4Runner a few years back. At any rate, I'm retired and started wheeling and wrenching (mostly with my checkbook in hand) at the ripe age of 60. I ran out of things to do to the Runner so I sold it and bought a new '12 Wrangler. After making it capable in the dirt, like $10K worth, I just didn't like it as a DD so I sold it. Last year I picked up a '06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon because, well, you'll know why.
Enough of the Background, I ran into a 1968 F40 that I'm considering, probably a bad idea but ......It's a pretty original Cali truck with 42K miles and not much rust. The entire underside was undercoated. The motor starts, but It's been in a barn for most of the last 40 years. I'm not sure what I want it to be, probably a mostly stock rebuild since I already have an offroad rig. I'll try to come to the next club meeting in August.
I'd love some input about my soon to be bank account drain/project.

Hello, My name's Steve and I must have signed up for this forum when I got a '02 4Runner a few years back. At any rate, I'm retired and started wheeling and wrenching (mostly with my checkbook in hand) at the ripe age of 60. I ran out of things to do to the Runner so I sold it and bought a new '12 Wrangler. After making it capable in the dirt, like $10K worth, I just didn't like it as a DD so I sold it. Last year I picked up a '06 Wrangler LJ Rubicon because, well, you'll know why.
Enough of the Background, I ran into a 1968 F40 that I'm considering, probably a bad idea but ......It's a pretty original Cali truck with 42K miles and not much rust. The entire underside was undercoated. The motor starts, but It's been in a barn for most of the last 40 years. I'm not sure what I want it to be, probably a mostly stock rebuild since I already have an offroad rig. I'll try to come to the next club meeting in August.
I'd love some input about my soon to be bank account drain/project.

Hey Steve, and welcome!

A mostly stock 68 40 with 42k from Cali seems like a winner to me! It's a very iconic look as you know, and 40s are so point and shoot it's hardly fair.

We have a lot of 40s in the club so I'm sure there will be no lack of advice. See you at the next meeting!

Justin

Hey Everyone,

New to this forum and honestly forums in general but figured it'd be a great spot to start my off-roading adventure. I've previously only owned cars and living in Northern Nevada (Reno) it was time to start a new project.

I just purchased a 1998 LX470 with 180k miles in hopes to run this thing into the ground! The body and interior were immaculate and after trying to find a cheap 4runner, this was a no-brainer (so i feel anyways).

Anyways, looking forward to possibly meeting some new people, gaining some credible insight into the rig and the area.

Goals are to just beef it up the suspension, bumpers and skids. Just ordered some 305x55x20s to go on some new 2016 Tundra rims I picked up for cheap...I think they fit (possibly with a spacer)...I guess we'll see!!!

IMG_20160731_161133.jpg

Welcome to the club! Beautiful LX and i am very jealous of that V8 you have in there;) There is a bunch of dirt to be traveled in nevada as well. What are you looking into parts wise? Also you should create a build thread so the club as well as fellow mud members can follow along as you build!

Welcome to the club! Beautiful LX and i am very jealous of that V8 you have in there;) There is a bunch of dirt to be traveled in nevada as well. What are you looking into parts wise? Also you should create a build thread so the club as well as fellow mud members can follow along as you build!

Thanks man! Really looking forward to the build. I'll set up a build page here soon and will probably have tons of questions, was thinking about checking out the meeting here in a week or so.

As far as parts was just cruising around looking and liked the look of the Slee bumbers and sliders but pretty spendy, but then again, i don't really know what to expect.

Thanks man! Really looking forward to the build. I'll set up a build page here soon and will probably have tons of questions, was thinking about checking out the meeting here in a week or so.

As far as parts was just cruising around looking and liked the look of the Slee bumbers and sliders but pretty spendy, but then again, i don't really know what to expect.

Welcome. Your came to the right place.
You can do a lot of wheeling around here with just some off road tires and maybe a little bit of lift. Even stock a landcruiser is a a heck of a machine.

Hello-
I am Don, I am a 530 and I live up off Mt Rose Hwy, and I just purchased a -new to me- 100 series LC. I have owned in the past a 40 and an 80. I grew up in the Carson Valley and the 40 was my first vehicle... good times. I am looking forward to making my new hundy in to an overland/ hunting rig, already ordered a lift from Metal Tech and a front bumper from Dissent Offroad.
I hope to see you in the hills!

Hello-
I am Don, I am a 530 and I live up off Mt Rose Hwy, and I just purchased a -new to me- 100 series LC. I have owned in the past a 40 and an 80. I grew up in the Carson Valley and the 40 was my first vehicle... good times. I am looking forward to making my new hundy in to an overland/ hunting rig, already ordered a lift from Metal Tech and a front bumper from Dissent Offroad.
I hope to see you in the hills!
a couple of pics of the Rig and my dog Sophie.
IMG_0534.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0492.JPG

Hey everyone! I just picked up my 68' FJ40 a few weeks ago and I am interested in joining your club, if you'll have me! How is this done? Oh! here's the money shot (AKA it convinced me to buy it!) of my TLC...

full

Last edited:
come to a meeting we will help you spend your money, caution its an addiction.

come to a meeting we will help you spend your money, caution its an addiction.

Nice! I’m already spending though. I am heading to TX later this month to pickup a rolling chassis from a 78. I plan to harvest the trans, transfer case, and both axles. I might use the 2F after a stout rebuild, but am considering a 3FE swap instead... we’ll see. Axles will be second to the motor since my F is tired and showing signs of death.

Anyway, I noticed there is a meeting tomorrow night at Round Table. Is it okay for me to show up? What is the cost to join the club?

Nice! I’m already spending though. I am heading to TX later this month to pickup a rolling chassis from a 78. I plan to harvest the trans, transfer case, and both axles. I might use the 2F after a stout rebuild, but am considering a 3FE swap instead... we’ll see. Axles will be second to the motor since my F is tired and showing signs of death.

Anyway, I noticed there is a meeting tomorrow night at Round Table. Is it okay for me to show up? What is the cost to join the club?
The first meeting is free.

Hey guys, reintroducing myself. Back in 2014 I was living in Elko, bought a 60, moved from Elko to Boise, sold the 60. Back in Fallon now, and bought a 96 80. 4" slee lift, 35s, ARB... not locked though...:( Put about 2k miles on it before it blew the head gasket... such is life. I gambled and lost, which is how it always goes for me. It got hauled off to my mechanic that handles my larger projects. He's going to go through it. Hoping to have it back in a month or two. Anyhow, here she is.

PM LeelandEOD on the 3fe swap, he can give you alot of info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom