Builds 97 LX450 Build Thread/Ex (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my start of my build thread for my new to me 1997 LX450. This is my first personal 450/landcruiser but my family has owned a 96 lx450 as well as a 2003 GX470. I picked up my LX in Southern California with 272,000 miles on it. I drove it to my parents house outside of sacramento before i head back up to Reno,NV for school. I am a geology/geological engineering student hence the crappy pun for a name.

I have decided to name it the skunk ape, not quite sure why; i just knew that i wanted a name that was inspired by sasquatch. I sold my 2004 WRX to make room for my new endeavor, i plan to use it for wheeling all around the sierras as well as overland trips.

I actually have a 3 week overland trip planned for this summer through Nevada and Utah and as well as parts of Colorado and Arizona. I will probably be posting a lot more about the trip as it nears. Looking for suggestions for places to visit while on the trip as well as looking of people who would be looking to meet up. The trip will be centered around filming and taking photos for ARB and possibly other companies. It won't be all work though, we plan on hikes, rock climbing, and viewing all of the amazing geologic formations.

It came with an all new lift using OME coils with KYB shocks, giving roughly a 3" lift. It has the OME castor correction kit and has custom bumpers and sliders made by American Overland Expedition. It sits on 295/75r16 BFG AT KOs. It has the factory lockers which all work properly. So far my father and I have spent countless hours wet sanding the paint to try and give the clear coat some shine back to it. It is coming along slowly and it seems that most of the bird droppings have eaten through the clear. But it is looking better than when we started. I guess i can't be too worried about it at this point since it is going to be wheeled and will be covered in Nevada pin striping.

This is just the opening of the thread, i will post pictures tonight of some of the wet sanding and plan on going snow wheeling tomorrow as the storm hits so ill take some actual nice pictures of the LX to give you all a feel for how it looks in the natural sunlight, not the harsh lighting of my father's garage. Feel free to give any tips or ideas or comments, looking forward to becoming a part of the community!

Cheers!:beer:

Welcome the beginning of the end of your current budget and savings plan. Post up some visual stimuli already! :flipoff2:

IMG_4132.JPG
IMG_4134.JPG

Some photos of it under harsh light, tomorrow I will add more photos of it out in the snow! And yeah ballin' on a college budget here! Front bumper is for sale by the way, I know there is a ton of people looking for the AOE front bumper and I am looking to let it go to another Mud member.

Here are some photos of a last minute snow camping trip out in Dog Valley near Verdi on the California-Nevada border. Stoked to say that the pallet of ARB goodies is getting shipped out on a freight truck tomorrow for my roommate and I. He shoots all of the nice photos of the LX and will be the main photographer and videographer for the Utah trip. Check out is website to see some of the stuff that he has worked on. Some of his highlights is video work for Heavy Metal Concepts, Super Chips, and shoots locally for Jesse Haines; www.twinpinemedia.com

12549019_10209080542353707_5100587527304281367_n.jpg
12509091_10209080542433709_2688816888447741891_n.jpg

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Can't wait to follow the build. PM me if the bull bar isn't taken. Is ARB sponsoring the build or trip?

Our partnership with ARB is for the trip, but we will be sending them media of any trip that we go on so that they can have material from multiple trips to use as they please. We are also currently in the process of talking with a super rad hunting company to help show off some of their equipment. I will be posting more about that stuff as it becomes appropriate.

Last edited:
Is the bumper gone??
I have a few people who are interested, I am just waiting till my new ARB bumper shows up until i pull the trigger on selling. I am really looking for a local buyer so i won't have to deal with the hassle of shipping but will hear out reasonable offers.

Wanted to say thanks to ARB for helping us get ready for our Utah trip they were super helpful and had incredibly fast shipping to help get us the parts that we needed. Pictured is my new ARB Deluxe Bar ARB Deluxe Bar Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series 90-97 - Lexus LX450 96-97 (3411050) along with a new compressor, lights for the bumper, air up kits, seat covers, camping chairs (that we still forget to bring) and an OME 3 inch lift for my roommates 2013 Tacoma (He is the photographer/videographer for the Utah trip as well as all of the other trips that are pictured on this forum.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/taco-jacks-trip-log-and-build-thread.399163/#post-11640948)

Obviously I was super excited to have all these goodies show up on Friday and couldn't wait to get the bumper on first. I will be putting the marker lights, flood lights, and compressor on next weekend as I will have the time to get that all done in one go.

Some of the guys who are going on the Utah trip wanted to make a quick little run out to Moon Rocks, about 45 minutes north of Reno to get a night of camping and wheeling in while school isn't too hectic. I am including the photos of putting the lift on the Tacoma because it is part of the Toyota family and because we left straight from putting it on to Moon Rocks. Zach's friend Jesse Haines was kind enough to let us use his garage to put the lift on since he has above and beyond the space and tools that we needed. For those of you that don't know what Moon Rocks is, it is a system of granite outcrop that extends out of a valley floor that is surrounded by mountains on all sides. Classic basin and range style terrain. Moon Rocks is known to have some of the more challenging routes on the west coast. Obviously we didn't do anything crazy, but I still put the LX through its paces and drug some ass on the coarse granite and had one of the wheels a few feet in the air. All in all it was a great little trip to be able to get out of the city and get away from school. We will be going on small little trips and wheeling on the weekends so expect a forum dump every weekend or so. Also it its finally time for the AOE bumper to go so don't be bashful and send me some PMs. I also posted a for sale ad that was swallowed instantly in the Parts for sale section.
IMG_5612.jpeg

LR4A3055.jpg
LR4A3205.jpg
LR4A3096.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom