Introducing my LC200 and plans! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy everyone,

Just picked up a 2016 AX (Japanese import) and plan to set it up for a daily driver / street car for when I visit my home country (Pakistan). I’m based in DFW and looking forward to learning more about the platform.

I found a setup that I fell in love with and plan to follow. The installer of the wheels gave me the offset of : 22x10 +35 5x150

632C2F69-A765-4D19-9A25-5038FA7BBF9F.jpeg

So my first question is, does this seem right for the LC200 platform? I’m having custom wheels made and would hate to find out the hard way this is way off.

I know this is going to be counter productive, but given that I’m going to ruin the ride quality by throwing 22” wheels on it, what suspension modifications are proven to help ride quality and minimize harshness? I do not want to lift the car, but open to upgrading other aspects of the suspension to make up for putting huge wheels on it. Tire size I plan on going with is 285/45/22.

I’ve browsed and searched this forum to find others running 22” wheels and surprisingly enough… very rare.

Lastly, does factory ride height vary between different models, such as the AX, AXG, LX, etc? Asking because some cars with 22” seem to have a larger gap between the fender than others. Might just be the angles of the pictures but just confirming I’m not missing anything.

Here is my LC200 :

73577207-5B07-42B5-85F8-6BA32386A078.jpeg

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Ali

Howdy everyone,

Just picked up a 2016 AX (Japanese import) and plan to set it up for a daily driver / street car for when I visit my home country (Pakistan). I’m based in DFW and looking forward to learning more about the platform.

I found a setup that I fell in love with and plan to follow. The installer of the wheels gave me the offset of : 22x10 +35 5x150

View attachment 3324847

So my first question is, does this seem right for the LC200 platform? I’m having custom wheels made and would hate to find out the hard way this is way off.

I know this is going to be counter productive, but given that I’m going to ruin the ride quality by throwing 22” wheels on it, what suspension modifications are proven to help ride quality and minimize harshness? I do not want to lift the car, but open to upgrading other aspects of the suspension to make up for putting huge wheels on it. Tire size I plan on going with is 285/45/22.

I’ve browsed and searched this forum to find others running 22” wheels and surprisingly enough… very rare.

Lastly, does factory ride height vary between different models, such as the AX, AXG, LX, etc? Asking because some cars with 22” seem to have a larger gap between the fender than others. Might just be the angles of the pictures but just confirming I’m not missing anything.

Here is my LC200 :

View attachment 3324850

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Ali
This forum is much more off road focused, so 22” wheels aren’t on many people’s agendas.

The most I can tell you is that the recommended wheel size will work fine as far as fitment.

This forum is much more off road focused, so 22” wheels aren’t on many people’s agendas.

The most I can tell you is that the recommended wheel size will work fine as far as fitment.
I understand that, and expect to get drug through some mud for my plans for the car ;)

Appreciate the insight in the wheels offset!

surprisingly enough
It is not. You are posting on a forum called "I hate mud" that off course it's intended as a joke.
That kind of wheel/tire combo asks for trouble in US cities. I hope your hometown streets are much better than here otherwise you are looking at bending wheels with the weight of these tucks.

+35 offset sounds about right. If you want a wider stance, you could probably get away with +25 or less if you really wanted. But if you like the look in the photo, then stick with that. The formula for a large wheel/tire combo isn't much different whether it's big wheels or big tires. 285/45/22 is only 32" diameter, so not much bigger than stock.

Does your LC have AHC? If so, you'll probably find the stock ride adequate in "normal." You may also adjust the sensors to lower the vehicle a little bit, relieve some hydraulic pressure and soften up the ride a little. AHC or no, stock suspension is probably your best bet for ride quality.

You'll be looking at P-rated tires in that size probably, so read up on tire reviews for one that provides the best ride.

Last edited:
I'm from the Philippines and a number of us are running 22s. I imagine that our road conditions are close to if not the same as yours. A lot of owners have shifted to 20s to maintain the large wheel aesthetic and minimize risk. This is because there have been a lot of owners with a lot of bent 22s, even when using wider sizes like 305s. It's the thin tire with the sheer loading from the weight of the vehicle that causes this issue. All it takes is going through one bad pothole.

Moreover, for suspension options, try Tein or Bilstein and pick the softest spring option. Make sure to follow a converted tire pressure as well.

If you’re going 22s on low-pros, forget about ride quality. Get what you want. A +35 on a 285 square 20x10 should be pretty much flush. If some offers a wheel & tire warranty plan there, get that as well.

Ah, something different. I like it.

I think you can get your cake and eat it too. First of all, your wheel size and offset should be pretty much perfect given your goals. Could probably go wider too but that's not going to make much of a difference.

Regarding ride quality, the LX570 in the states gets a 275/50R21 with reasonable ride quality on AHC. Your proposed 285/45R22 has pretty much the same sidewall height. I would also consider a 295/45R22 as that will give you just a bit more sidewall for comfort, and perhaps look that much more aggressive.

If you run the 295, might need some minor plastic clearancing but should work awesome

From someone that's run as thin as 25 series tires on another car, inflation pressure is probably the most critical thing to protecting the wheels from bending. Keep on top of pressure for maintenance.

I'm from the Philippines and a number of us are running 22s. I imagine that our road conditions are close to if not the same as yours. A lot of owners have shifted to 20s to maintain the large wheel aesthetic and minimize risk. This is because there have been a lot of owners with a lot of bent 22s, even when using wider sizes like 305s. It's the thin tire with the sheer loading from the weight of the vehicle that causes this issue. All it takes is going through one bad pothole.

Moreover, for suspension options, try Tein or Bilstein and pick the softest spring option. Make sure to follow a converted tire pressure as well.

Most cars I’ve found with a similar setup seem to be in the Philippines. Nice to see your feedback. I pulled the trigger on 22s with a 285/45 tire. I bet the roads in Pakistan are likely worse than what you have, but we’ll see.

I did go with fully forged wheels to hopefully provide a bit better strength.

Not familiar with the converting tire pressure - can you provide further context?

Thank you!

Ah, something different. I like it.

I think you can get your cake and eat it too. First of all, your wheel size and offset should be pretty much perfect given your goals. Could probably go wider too but that's not going to make much of a difference.

Regarding ride quality, the LX570 in the states gets a 275/50R21 with reasonable ride quality on AHC. Your proposed 285/45R22 has pretty much the same sidewall height. I would also consider a 295/45R22 as that will give you just a bit more sidewall for comfort, and perhaps look that much more aggressive.

If you run the 295, might need some minor plastic clearancing but should work awesome

From someone that's run as thin as 25 series tires on another car, inflation pressure is probably the most critical thing to protecting the wheels from bending. Keep on top of pressure for maintenance.
Unfortunately mine does not have the AHC. I’m really hoping I can achieve a decent looking setup without too much rake or fender gap. I’ve ordered the wheels/tires, so it’s a waiting game now.

Love your 20” setup btw!

Does anyone know how much lower a car with AHC can go vs a car with KDSS?

I have a feeling my OP has a car with AHC at the lowest setting to attain that stance. My car doesn’t have AHC and I’m worried it won’t look nearly as good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom