LX570 Slammed on 33's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
Cause I know how much you guys love the Sport in SUV. Time to go hunting for some AMGs.

slammed33.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! Looking forward to your report: Road noise, handling, can you get to "low" without rubbing? Watching your other thread for your lessons learned with wheel well clearance.

Last edited:
No doubt AMGs don't have anything to worry about. Especially now that the throttle response is damped a bit with the larger tire. Until the pavement ends that is. I'm sure I'll get lots of snickers when she's parked and dumped in the L position to unload the kiddos.

Never thought I'd enjoy 20's, but combined with a larger tire that gives it some sidewall, she's sitting pretty. I wanted 305s partly for the look, but it also keeps the stock 8.5" width wheel more inset and protected (8.5" was the narrowest wheel for this fitment).

With AHC, it's really a nice setup. Ingress, egress, and loading is still easy with it in low. It sits up plenty high for me at the neutral position. And on demand high when called on. I don't think I'll bother with lifting the normal position (AHC sensor lift, can easily adjust 1.25" taller to all L/M/H positions without any mods).

These are Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws in 305/55/20 LT load E. On stock LX570 20x8.5" +60mm wheels. Added a 1" spacer all around (effective offset 35mm). Spacer was absolutely necessary to clear suspension arms as it just clears at full lock. Only other mods was to remove mudflap (for now until I re-contour them), and pull forward the leading edge splash guard.

Obligatory L/M/H pic:

AHC33s.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, awesome. I'm glad you live on the other side of the country 'cause my silver '11 LX is gonna look exactly the same once I wear out the stock Michelins... Was thinking about darkening the wheels with some sort of anthracite gray color but not sure yet. Regardless, yours look great!

Hah, I'm happy to look at other similar LC's all day. Actually, my neighbor 2 doors down has a '13 LX570 in another shade of grey. I'm just waiting for him to come over and ask for details, cause he plays with his sand rails and desert toys too.

Nice job, looks great!

For what its worth I have been running those tires in 17" for a few months and have been impressed with them in every aspect including snow and ice.

@gaijin, what do you think my tire pressure should be? I have them at 36psi currently. Rides nicer than the stock 285/55/20s.

@gaijin, what do you think my tire pressure should be? I have them at 36psi currently. Rides nicer than the stock 285/55/20s.

I thought you'd never ask :D

The "Book" says your LT305/55R20 tires should be run at 42psi F/R to give you a Load Limit of 2,311 pounds/tire.

However, what does your door placard recommend? If it recommends 33psi Front / 35psi Rear for stock P285/50R20 tires, then a case could be made for running 36psi Front / 38psi Rear. If not, let me know what your door placard recommends for which stock P-Rated tires and I'll take another look at the calcs.

HTH

Hah, I recognize a SME when I see one. Doesn't mean that I don't prod to keep them honest. It's what happens when I deal with engineers and SME's all day. Still, much respect.

LX570 sticker:

pressure.jpg

Hah, I recognize a SME when I see one. Doesn't mean that I don't prod to keep them honest. It's what happens when I deal with engineers and SME's all day. Still, much respect.

LX570 sticker:

View attachment 1408160

That's what I like - good data in = good data out.

Your LT305/55R20 tires have a Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure of 36psi Front/Rear based on the Toyota Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure of 33psi Front/Rear for the stock P285/50R20 tires.

Final answer ;)

HTH

And I accept your final answer without question.

Pleasantly surprised how well and quiet these Falken A/T3W LT tires ride. The stock setup with 20" and 50 series tires transmitted more impact harshness. It almost feels like P series tires on 18" wheels. Though makes sense with as much rubber as these tires have outside of the firm carcass.

While the ride is softer, I do notice the higher unsprung weight of the setup too. So when rolling over really choppy stuff, the suspension is not so quick to return to rest. This is at street pressures. Off-road with lower pressures, should have the tires doing more of their share of the suspension work. Note that I am especially calibrated to this stuff as my other hobby is sports cars and track days.

A few more pics for those considering 305/55/20s
DSC_4055_small.jpg
DSC_3998_small.jpg DSC_4002_small.jpg DSC_4088_small.jpg

Got a question asking how flush the tire setup is with 305s and 1" spacers on stock 60mm offset wheels.

Pretty darn flush, and shouldn't have any problems tucking when articulated. Front tire is slightly turned left.

flush.jpg

Got a question asking how flush the tire setup is with 305s and 1" spacers on stock 60mm offset wheels.

Pretty darn flush, and shouldn't have any problems tucking when articulated. Front tire is slightly turned left.

View attachment 1424597

That looks perfect!

Tire fitment question for you @TeCKis300 and others who might know.

What are your thoughts of the Nitto Ridge Grappler in a 275/65/20 on the LX570 with stock 20's like yours? Seeing them on @PaulLx470 truck really swayed my decision but have decided I'd like a little more height out of the tires - a little taller but a bit narrower than the 295s Paul used..
Do you think there will be any rubbing problems at the N AHC height setting? I don't mind trimming some plastic if needed.
Also considering the Falkens, any feedback on those?

tire size --width --diameter-- weight
Nitto Ridge Grappler
LT275/65R20 E --10.98 -- 34.09 --60.85lbs
LT295/55R20 E --12.17-- 32.76 -- 62.29lbs

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
LT275/65R20 E --10.6 -- 34.10 -- 66.1lbs

Thanks for the help guys!

It's an aggressive tire to be sure in terms of height. You'll definitely need to remove the mudflap and do some clearancing and possibly cutting of the front wheel well trim. But with some effort, it'll fit. With that width, you have a chance to fit it without spacers to clear the upper arm, but it'll be close.

34fitment.JPG

In regards to the Falken AT3W vs NRG, I can only postulate the the NRG is more aggressive on the spectrum of all terrain to mud tires, with it being closer to the mud terrain side. The the AT3W is itself on the aggressive end of the A/T spectrum. Going towards one end of the spectrum usually is at a cost to other qualities, but the NRG does seem well reviewed. I personally wanted solid snow/ice traction and looked specifically for the snowflake which the AT3W has. I don't think the NRG has it, but I've seemed to read that it was descent in snow.

In regards to sizing, I went with a wider fitment as I didn't want to give up on road performance while upsizing. Balance and increased capability all around is the primary goal, especially as my rig sees 99% road duty. As much as I don't like spacers, it did fit into the equation well for me too, as with a lift, you do lose some lateral stability. Widening the track width is a way to regain that lateral stability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom