Intro and pic request: 10-13 with 2" lift on TRD wheels with spacers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

truck looks great. glad lowering the psi made a big difference

are the new tires P rated or LT tires? i think those wildpeaks in that size come in both

Slight update, played with the PSI some and dropped to 30 cold, about 32-33 warmed up. No TPMS lights on, and the ride has noticably improved. Next step I'll just throw in a few sandbags or weights and all will be right with the world. Maybe add a shelf or rack in the future.
If the sandbags work, then replace them with a trail tool kit and recovery gear. That will about equal a sandbag or two.

Final update with a fix!

After some more play with higher 38 psi, adding 2-4 60 lbs sand bags which also improved ride but took up space and I kept reading. I came across the Falken site and saw that for 285/70/17's they actually come in 3 different load ratings. standard, 6 ply, 10 ply. Often people only compare to standard load and the 10 ply for overlanding, and I found out that I had the 6 ply. Even worse, I found out that the 6 ply are the heaviest, heavier than the 10 ply, and 13 lbs heavier than the SL's. (pic attached) This was odd but I confirmed it with Falken and Tire Rack which stated that Jeep demanded Falken add more weight or strength for their tires in the 6 ply, and those are the ones I picked up cheap, only 2k miles off a Gladiator. Crazy that on sports car people spend thousands to shave a few pounds per corner, and here it's easy to add so much just with the wrong load rating. After weeks of going back and forth I bit the bullet and ordered new SL's in the same size.

FINALLY. Ride is noticeably more comfortable, much less noisy on the highway, accelerates and brakes quicker, handles nicer, and truck struggles less going up hill. I'm sure mpg improved as well but my commute is so short I rarely hit the highway. Even took out the sandbags and it rides great. Not worried at at all about hitting mild trails with this setup as SL's are what I had before on the 460 and 470, never an issue. Very happy with this as it was honestly getting annoying to the point I started looking at going back to a sports sedan. Looks like I'll keep the GX for the time being.

IMG_5779.JPG

Last edited:
Tires are a weird thing sometimes. I wouldn't think 13 pounds per corner would be that noticeable on a 5500lb truck but here we are.
Unsprung rolling weight is very different than sprung weight. When I had a Miata 15 years ago, people would go crazy trying to shed 2 lbs per corner in an 2k lbs car. In my ISF shedding a few lbs per corner with 2 piece rotors and lighter wheels was very noticable also. In this case, the weight and stiffness is less, and that noise you hear when a wrangler with meaty tires drives by is gone. Interior is stock quiet now, just wind noise.

Reactions: r2m
Unsprung rolling weight is very different than sprung weight. When I had a Miata 15 years ago, people would go crazy trying to shed 2 lbs per corner in an 2k lbs car. In my ISF shedding a few lbs per corner with 2 piece rotors and lighter wheels was very noticable also. In this case, the weight and stiffness is less, and that noise you hear when a wrangler with meaty tires drives by is gone. Interior is stock quiet now, just wind noise.
I guess the principle is the same regardless of vehicle. I just figured that the whole body on frame truck with truck suspension and big tires thing meant unsprung weight savings wouldn't be that noticeable the way it is in a sports car. So great...now I'm going to start looking at forged wheels and 2 piece rotors and crap for the GX. Thanks lol.

I guess the principle is the same regardless of vehicle. I just figured that the whole body on frame truck with truck suspension and big tires thing meant unsprung weight savings wouldn't be that noticeable the way it is in a sports car. So great...now I'm going to start looking at forged wheels and 2 piece rotors and crap for the GX. Thanks lol.
The most noticeable difference with unsprung weight with off road vehicles is when one is going over washboard roads at speed. Gotta have road to tire contact all the time if possible. Heavy tires will wind up skipping over the dips and hitting the highs prematurely casing a harsh ride and less control.

The most noticeable difference with unsprung weight with off road vehicles is when one is going over washboard roads at speed. Gotta have road to tire contact all the time if possible. Heavy tires will wind up skipping over the dips and hitting the highs prematurely casing a harsh ride and less control.
This makes a lot of sense. No wonder a few drives down a Baltimore street littered with potholes, railroad tracks, and old concrete gaps on the 6 ply's made me absolutely hate my commute.

This makes a lot of sense. No wonder a few drives down a Baltimore street littered with potholes, railroad tracks, and old concrete gaps on the 6 ply's made me absolutely hate my commute.
i’m starting to see so many MD GX’s on the forum but i never see any when i’m out and about

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom