Intro and first questions.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. I'm not what you would call an off-road newbie. I have been in the sport for the last fifteen years in one way or another. I have build a lot of different vehicles over the last few years....everything from a 42 MB to a 63 fj40 to a 2001 TJ. I am not much of a brand loyaltist, but I do appreciate toyotas renouned quality and have built at least 3-4 yotas over the years.

I have started looking into the 80 platform for my next vehicle. The bottom line is I need something well rounded. I am hoping a properly built 80 is going to let me do 90% of what I want to do. Everything from daily driving, some light towing, to providing a base for my camping and climbing trips, and some moderate for me 4wheeling ( rubicon, dusy, moab )

I hope I can contribute some of my knowledge of the off-road hobby even though I don't have specific 80 knowledge as of yet.....

Anyways....I searched and lurked for a long time but I still have some questions and I can't find a local FJ80 to crawl around for the life of me.

So....questions...

-Is there enough room to sleep in the back of an 80 with the seats down? What is the measurement with the hatch closed to the folded seat? And is the Floor flat and comfortable or is it slopped at the folding seat? An Ex of mine had a 60 and was great to take on camping and road trips because you could just unroll a few sleeping bags in the back and get some zzzzs. ( on a side note, I had to let that one go even though she had a cruiser...don't worry the new one is a lot better! )

Thanks for your time.

Mieser said:
Is there enough room to sleep in the back of an 80 with the seats down?

Yes, depending on how big you are and how many people are going to be sleeping back there and with how much other stuff. FYI, the 2nd row seats in the 80 fold & tumble; they don't drop down. With the 2nd row seats removed (4 bolts) you will have more room for sleeping.

Mieser said:
What is the measurement with the hatch closed to the folded seat?

Dunno, but someone else will.

Mieser said:
And is the Floor flat and comfortable or is it slopped at the folding seat?

It's not perfectly flat but it is as comfortable as you would expect when sleeping in the back of your truck. I have only done it one time, with the 2nd row folded. It was a 2 night trip and the low each night was single digits. My nalgene froze solid during the night. I was a lot more comfortable than I would have been in my backpacking tent but it was still cold. A good thick thermarest helps.

The 80 has sliding windows in the cargo area. This makes it easy to get some fresh air while sleeping. Those that sleep in the truck in warm weather have come up with ingenious ways to keep out 'skeeters and other critters.

-B-

I believe the measurement of hatch to folded 2nd row seat is 62", this allows me to sleep at a "diagonal", or with the hatch raised and tailgate down, most people would have enough room. The option mentioned of removing one (or both) of the second row seats and throwing some cargo up there to make it level, will buy you an extra foot or so. The cargo floor as well as under the 2nd row seats, is flat.

Mieser said:
....I can't find a local FJ80 to crawl around for the life of me...

If you define where you are, there maybe someone here willing to show off their junk!:D

Oh and welcome!

welcome!
yes, too tight for a 6 footer unless the middle seat is removed or you can sleep at a diagonal

Welcome aboard (Nothing to contribute to your question other than what others have said already :D )

Mot

Welcome to MUD

Welcome,
I'm in the same boat, lots of years wheeling with lots of different brands but new to 80's. I'm looking to build my 80 to tackle the same trails. I have learned a tremendous amount on this forum, it's great. I'm trailering my 4runner to Moab this year but hope to drive the 80 next year! :D
Are you from Norcal?

Thanks for the help and the welcome...

I am in northern idaho for the moment also....

Does anyone have a pic of the inside of an 80 with the seat folded? Would it be possible to build a subfloor in the back that would allow a flat sleeping surface in the back that would include the 2nd row seat?

Thanks again for the help

bump, wondering the same thing

if you remove the way back seat and fold the second row seats down, is the floor FLAT. I don't know anyone with an 80 so that's why I'm asking. thanks

With the second row seats removed, there is 76" available for sleeping from the back of the front row seats to the rear of the truck with the hatch closed. A standard twin mattress is 75" so it just fits. Worked just great for the DV trip! I bolted a piece of plywood to the four 2nd row seat bolt holes on the rear floor with feet to support the side by the front row and cut to fit between the doors so I'd have a completely flat platform (i.e. covered the foot well for the 2nd row seats). Great for storage of long items like spade, axe and other misc stuff under the platform. A twin mattress will leave you about a foot of available floor space between the rear wheel wells.

Wish I'd taken a pic. 2nd row seats are back in now.

I liked the set up. With the 2nd row seats removed, you've got tons of floor space for storage and plenty of stock tie downs. Down side obviously is that you have to remove everything to sleep. No big deal as far as I was concerned.

With the second row seats folded forward, you do have a flat surface, but as E9999 stated, it's only about 60", so not enough room for most folks. The second row seats are very easy to remove. Eight bolts and about 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:
thanks.

i'm looking for another survey truck and i need a flat 60" for the equipment to fit in the back. i was waiting for the fjc but i don't think it will work that great for what i need

It's a flat surface if you neglect the depressions due to the seat catches and the cargo hooks. A FJ60 would be better for sleeping, but that's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom