Intermittent smoke at (cold) start up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ElHefe

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.austinlwright.com
Having an issue I’d like to get some Mud thoughts on.

For past 5K miles, there was an intermittent (1 out of 8) puff of smoke at start up; always after sitting over night. Just changed oil and now the puff of smoke is at every cold start in the morning / after work. Fairly certain this is valve seals (truck sat for a few years prior to me purchasing 6 months ago) but why would the frequency bump up? Ideas?

Good idea. Thanks!

So 5 months later...are you still having the smoke at start up or did you install a new PCV?

So 5 months later...are you still having the smoke at start up or did you install a new PCV?

Just put in a new PCV yesterday. Has never been more than an aesthetic issue; truck runs great.

Changed (again) the PCV valve, grommet, and main hose with OEM from Wits End. Time will tell

Also, there is a vacuum that attaches to the power steering pump that if the diaphragm fails will pull PS fluid into the intake and make things smoke like crazy. Scared the life out of me a few years ago. It's like a $75 part. I would have to look again for more details. My indy knew of the problem and fixed it while I was on a business trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom