Intermittent issue starting Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I had this problem once a few weeks ago and I thought it was a fluke, however, it seems to have come back this morning. Here's the issue (2000 Land Cruiser): Put the key in, turn, engine doesn't turn over but I do hear a 'click' / pump noise from the engine bay / driver side. Battery is fine, all lights work, no alternator click.

I tried the master key about 10 times (without taking in or out), went inside and grabbed the spare, tried that once and nothing, put the master key back in a Voila ... it starts no problem. Tried it a few more times the rest of the day and it starts up fine every time.

I did not notice the 'key lock' red light on that dash stay on after I put the key in, so I don't believe it's a theft deterrent system. Also from my understanding, the theft deterrent would let the motor turn just not start?

This issue makes a bit nervous as it seems like something that could leave me stranded. Any ideas? From what I've seen so far, people suggest in order of ease: 1. EFI fuse replacement 2. Starter Relay replacement 3. Starter replacement. Anything else recommended or has anyone else had this issue and what was the fix?

Here are a few other things going on at the time which may or may not be related, but since they're electrical / ignition related I'll list them out: 1. Had the radio out and disconnected at the time 2. Got the spark plugs replaced a month ago 3. Had the timing belt done a month ago (cam position sensor?) 4. Fog lights don't work, was told it was the switch (column tree) not the wiring / connectors / relay that needed fixing

Thanks all. A few more questions,

- if it were the neutral safety switch, would I still hear a click or just no sound at all?
- if it were the starter relay, also no 'click' sound as I assume the solenoid wouldn't be getting power?
- if it were an EFI fuse, I assume I would hear a click from the solenoid but it wouldn't be intermittent as my fuel pump wouldn't be getting power?

My problem is that I use the master key or any copy and the security light doesn't turn off and the engine crank but no start.

Any suggestions?

Update

Checked the efi 20 amp fuse and was fried, no yellow plastic, changed for a new one and the security system light stays on after I put the master key in.

I saw that theres a relay on the side of the fuse, any thoughts about the possibility of a relay failure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom