Interior Plastic Trim Renewal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
7CBE2A78-D22E-4860-9068-6C90F32C3020.jpeg
Is there a suggested way to renew the interior plastic trim? I inherited a 1998 Land Cruiser which was used as a truck and the tan interior plastic trim is scratched and worn. Would like to revive it so it looks as best as possible.

54C9B38B-A5EC-42E1-B55B-1B42160DB711.jpeg

93920A75-846A-4686-8E00-AFC7D3BFAA61.jpeg

Start with a thorough cleaning. Dirty stains are far more unattractive than scratched plastic, IMO. If you have no interest in buying those chemicals/tools, check around for a detailer near you. They can work magic.

After cleaning, you can weld (melt) ABS and other plastics. I'm unsure what material the 100 plastics are, but I think it's likely you can find a melting chemical you could carefully apply to greatly reduce the ugliness of those scratches.

Testors makes a bunch of repair chemicals for hobby plastics. Perhaps there's an auto specific chemical, but if not, check out Testors.

FWIW I have had great success with the all purpose Purple Power Citrus Cleaner, and after the surface is clean in a test area lightly rub one of those magic erasers on it. I used em to take the shine off the bits and it really did a great job on making the plastic look more matte and softer looking. Again try it first on a small test area and see if you like it. It was just the regular magic eraser, nothing really abrasive.

Good luck man! Ain't nothing like cleaning a vehicle interior as a project for sure!

I've had similar success with the magic erasers on some of the plastic as well. Given the depth of the work needed on yours, you might want to take the trim out of the truck so you can power-wash some of it. I've seen videos on YouTube, TikTok and IG of people using heat guns to clean some scratches on plastic trim, but I would try to use some of the less obvious pieces -like the covers on the seat mounts- to try this out before using it on the big pieces. Maybe go to a pick-and-pull junkyard and bringing back some trim pieces to practice on?

My approach would be to remove all the trim, clean it with an abrasive kitchen cream, wipe it down with thinners and then spay with SEM Color Cote in the colour of your choice.

I have done that to several vehicles (using a spray gun and a compressor) and the results were excellent. I have not used their aerosol cans though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom