Interior Color Modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellow mudders!

I have always been a fan of black interiors on vehicles, with every prior vehicle to the cruiser having that color option. I am curious if anyone has ever changed out the color on their vehicle or custom painted the interior parts? I have seen guys on the 80 section do this to their trucks and I have found products (Duplicolor and Color Bond) that are designed to do this, but I haven’t seen anything online of it actually done beyond recovering the seats. I want to do a black with Saddle brown leather setup on mine as It’s my favorite combo in the current LC and 4Runner. Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated!

If you are referring to the leather interior pieces you can re-dye them whatever color you want. Leatherique has a great selection of both standard and OEM colors for just about any vehicle. You just pick which color(s) you want and the amount and then follow their great step-by-step instructions on how to re-dye it. There's also plenty of Youtube videos out there showing this process. I'm sure there are other sources you can go to, but I vote Leatherique as this seems to be their specialty and they provide excellent leather cleaning and care products

Leatherique Restoration Products

How To Re-Dye Leather

Customers Re-Dye Input - I highly recommend reading through this page before starting this project, it has some important tips and details that are not mentioned in the instructions

Also, if you go through with this you are obligated to take before and after pictures:)

If you are referring to the leather interior pieces you can re-dye them whatever color you want. Leatherique has a great selection of both standard and OEM colors for just about any vehicle. You just pick which color(s) you want and the amount and then follow their great step-by-step instructions on how to re-dye it. There's also plenty of Youtube videos out there showing this process. I'm sure there are other sources you can go to, but I vote Leatherique as this seems to be their specialty and they provide excellent leather cleaning and care products

Leatherique Restoration Products

How To Re-Dye Leather

Customers Re-Dye Input - I highly recommend reading through this page before starting this project, it has some important tips and details that are not mentioned in the instructions

Also, if you go through with this you are obligated to take before and after pictures:)

Thank you for the great information! I am pretty sure I am gonna follow through with this idea. The only thing that is stoping me right now is changing over the trim. I am curious if there are any guides as I am not sure on coloring the soft dash. The material is going to be a difficult thing to work with. I want to start with figuring out the transmission tunnel, carpets, and headliner. Not sure if submersion in dye or spray is a better solution so far.

Thank you for the great information! I am pretty sure I am gonna follow through with this idea. The only thing that is stoping me right now is changing over the trim. I am curious if there are any guides as I am not sure on coloring the soft dash. The material is going to be a difficult thing to work with. I want to start with figuring out the transmission tunnel, carpets, and headliner. Not sure if submersion in dye or spray is a better solution so far.
Okay so those dyes from Leatherique are designed for leather only. Mayyyybe, and just maybe, it could work on the carpet. But then again it could completely ruin your carpet so use at your own risk. What about this?:

1) Completely remove front, middle, & 3rd row seats (if you have them)
2) Remove carpet and give it a thorough deep cleaning, but keep it the same color
3) Dye the seats the color(s) of your preference, since you already have all the seats removed it would make the dye-application process muuuuch easier because if you get that dye anywhere else inside your truck besides the seats, I guarantee it will not come off
4) Keep the dash the same color
-------------------------------------
1+2+3+4 = Black w/saddle brown leather seats, basically saddle brown leather dash (yes it's a little darker but I don't think it would clash too badly), and then the nicely cleaned OEM carpet. I don't know how that would all work together but maybe you could visualize it while sitting in your truck??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom