interesting tranny tidbit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers

post ho
Threads
so i was just goofing around comparing different specs between vehicles and i came across an interesting part cross over. the tranny in the little LJ71 is a R151F and in the 2000 HZJ79 the tranny is a R151F. i knew which trannies were in each but it never clicked that the little 85 hp 2L-T would have the same beefy tranny as the 135 hp 1HZ... guess i will never sell a replacement tranny for a LJ71... talk about bullet proof setup.
same front diff as a 80 series, same tranny as a mine truck and power by a little 4 banger...
cool
just thought i would share my "revalation" with the list.
cheers

I could be way off, but I thought that was also the same tranny used in V-6 4-runners and tacos.

That may or may not be so good, Wayne. I heard the mines are having a hell of a time with the R151 equipped trucks. The Aussies are having problems with the output shaft that Toyota Australia is quietly replacing under warranty, just search the lcool_aus files. The Europeans are also doubting its durability: http://www.buschtaxi.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=2&topic=2624
and http://buschtaxi.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=2&topic=2587

Maybe in the light duty LJ71 it will be just fine as it does in the Toyota truck. But as long as you are happy with it, good for you :)

Dave

now this is interesting, we have a gent here doing a 1HZ swap into his 80 series and the aussis told him to get the 151 since it was a stronger tranny. me i liked the H55F best of all.
i guess what i was saying is if the tranny can stand up behind the torque of a 1HZ being beaten every day in the mines then it should last forever behind the 2L-T...
cheers

crushers said:
now this is interesting, we have a gent here doing a 1HZ swap into his 80 series and the aussis told him to get the 151 since it was a stronger tranny. me i liked the H55F best of all.
i guess what i was saying is if the tranny can stand up behind the torque of a 1HZ being beaten every day in the mines then it should last forever behind the 2L-T...
cheers

This is a common mistake people made. The R151 is a light weight tranny, it weighs 65 lbs (I've put one in the mail, so I know ;) ) OTOH the H151 is a heavyweight class tranny used in the 80 series. Physically the H151 is almost twice the size of an R151. The H151 is a definitely hernia maker :)

As I mentioned, the R151 is having the same trouble in the mines like what the Aussies and Germans are finding out. But it might be happy to chug along behind a 1HZ used for street uses as well as behind a 2LTE motor.

Dave

I agree the H151 is quite beefy and the H151 is what is being used in the 80 series and what is in my HDJ81.

Cheers,

Michael

Hmmm...that's the problem sometimes in the auto industry. You think they err on the side of caution and over-equip one model while in fact they are under-equipping the other.

In fairness, don;t the mines abuse the crap out of these trucks? Is it really a fair comparison to even regular offroading?

16 hours a day they run and yes they get beat pretty bad.
hey, brownbear how bad are these trannies? the ones in the 2000 HZJ79?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom