Interesting new product from Garmin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RobW0

GOLD Star
Threads
Garmin has entered the field of accessory switching. This could be a nice product for some. I have not looked at all of the specs on it yet, but it does look interesting. Price does not look bad compared to what it is competing with, I think.

Garmin PowerSwitch

Interesting. I am now thinking about adding in some accessories, but I have been wavering about controllers. I would love to have a reliable remote option, but I am still not sure that I want to go that direction. This makes a compelling option though. I may strongly consider it.

Obviously the $ is for the software. I say this because a 'generic' bluetooth relay/switch runs about $5/switched item, around $20 for four, for example.
That is with only on/off control and a very basic UI.
I've been running a bluetooth based relay for several years now to control my elocker, air compressor, and light bar.
I do wish the free app was stateful, but beyond that it reliably turns things on and off.

Obviously the $ is for the software. I say this because a 'generic' bluetooth relay/switch runs about $5/switched item, around $20 for four, for example.
I've been running a bluetooth based relay for several years now to control my elocker, air compressor, and light bar.
I do wish the free app was stateful, but beyond that it reliably turns things on and off.
From what I can gather so far, 30amp / output, and at least one trigger, as well as the ability to trigger based on speed and time of day. That is what I have been able to pull out a quick glance at the manual.

Last edited:

Are there ever times where you wished for a hardwired controller? I have been wavering for a while on something like a switchpros or something remote. I am curious how remote has been working for you.

Are there ever times where you wished for a hardwired controller? I have been wavering for a while on something like a switchpros or something remote. I am curious how remote has been working for you.
If the app was stateful, then no, hardwires wouldn't matter for these accessories, and I'd be fully satisfied.
Air compressor - pretty obvious when I turn it on, and if I forget to turn it off, it'll let me know
Lightbar - very obvious when on or off
elocker - not so obvious until I take a corner on a dry surface <- this is the state problem.

I have the chinesium $100 6 switch from amazon that I got for Christmas a couple years ago as a gift, but I haven't bothered to install it. Probably will someday . . . but the lack of state issue really isn't that big a deal, and for almost all accessories, I'd say it's no deal.

This may be a dumb question, but it says that it will auto-off all outputs if the input drops below 11v. Does it seem safe to trust that and connect directly to the battery, or is it best to have it switched?

It also says that it eats 3 mA with no outputs active. That makes me nervous.

This may be a dumb question, but it says that it will auto-off all outputs if the input drops below 11v. Does it seem safe to trust that and connect directly to the battery, or is it best to have it switched?

It also says that it eats 3 mA with no outputs active. That makes me nervous.
I would trust it to shut off at 11v. I would maybe like the cutoff to be a little higher however. The 3mA is low. I looked at the SP9100 Switch pro say it also has a 3mA draw in sleep mode.

So, the ONLY way to control the circuits is with an app on a phone? There's no switch panel on the dash to do it manually? That seems risky.

What about something like this? Amazon product ASIN B07QP5TQDK

Oh cool, I'm buying that one. Then I'll have a button that I can push to instantly take me "Off-Road".

Neat, but do I really want to get my phone out and flip to an app to turn on a switch...

Nope..

I want to hit a button and have something happen..

To me this is actually a benefit rather than a negative. If you knew how often my wife or kids leave lights on that result in dead batteries, you would totally understand. Having an 8 button panel in plain sight with little light bulb icons all over it is asking for trouble.

The garmin appears to have physical buttons on it.

The garmin appears to have physical buttons on it.

I could be wrong but I think the controller has buttons on it probably as a backup option should you find yourself without a compatible device, but the primary Interface is via Bluetooth and the controller is meant to be mounted in the engine bay close to the battery.

Oh yeah, no wonder it looks so big.!
While we’re on this, I have a bypass switch on the air compressor, I’ve never used it, but it’s there if I need it, just have to open the hood. So same solution as the garmin, but obviously nowhere as elegant and packaged, and only one circuit.

the real business would be a 12 gang Bluetooth switch tied into one Of the Tesla head units or the grom running a simple app. all the hardware is there just need a Bluetooth stack programmer and someone to build the UI. Could probably commission the custom software for $500 actually, now,that I think on it.

Oh yeah, no wonder it looks so big.!
While we’re on this, I have a bypass switch on the air compressor, I’ve never used it, but it’s there if I need it, just have to open the hood. So same solution as the garmin, but obviously nowhere as elegant and packaged, and only one circuit.

the real business would be a 12 gang Bluetooth switch tied into one Of the Tesla head units or the grom running a simple app. all the hardware is there just need a Bluetooth stack programmer and someone to build the UI. Could probably commission the custom software for $500 actually, now,that I think on it.
Yeah, I feel like we're pretty close to this sort of accessory. It's not at all that complicated given the amount of open source UI out there.

The Garmin is cool. I appreciate what they're doing in both offroad and hunt--two markets that have been neglected by meaningful tech. Personally I prefer simplicity in my truck but I get it and think it's pretty cool.

Being the huge hypocrite that I am, combined with having a friend at Garmin, I installed one in my FJ62.

It is sweet, simple and really nice not having to run wires and switches in to the cabin.

I'll report back with how it performs but so far so good with compressor, two lockers and lights running off of it.

Yeah, I forgot to post in this thread but I installed one a couple of months back. It has been great so far. Really simple install and interface.

4D5F22B0-7E04-49E2-AC19-06994E1023E3.jpeg

Wondering about taking an older no-service smart phone and just hard mounting it on the dash, dedicated to this and maybe Carista/Torque.

Wondering about taking an older no-service smart phone and just hard mounting it on the dash, dedicated to this and maybe Carista/Torque.
Yeah, ultimately this is my plan.

Ironically the switchpro in my 200 is giving me fits, no longer functioning after 6k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom