Intake Manifold Bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know if there is a way to tighten the intake and exahust manifold bolts without taking the carb and insulator plate off?

That's pretty ironic because I just did the manifold gasket this week and was thinkin' of re-torquin' the bolts. I'm gonna rip the carb and heat sheild off agian to re-torque. it's really only a 10 min. job. it would be nice not remove anything though. Good luck.

Anyone know if there is a way to tighten the intake and exahust manifold bolts without taking the carb and insulator plate off?

Yes there is... there are two grooves that line up perfectly w/ the top two manifold bolts, which are just big enough to fit a 17mm socket w/ an extension. Mine being desmogged makes this a little easier; however, this task is still doable if your smogged. You might have to jimmy around the EGR pipeing a bit is all.

Good Luck-

Yes there is... there are two grooves that line up perfectly w/ the top two manifold bolts, which are just big enough to fit a 17mm socket w/ an extension. Mine being desmogged makes this a little easier; however, this task is still doable if your smogged.

Mine is fully smogged and the same procedure applies. I used a 17mm thin wall socket with the correct extension.

Takes maybe 10 minutes?

Can you get a standard wall socket on there easily....or am I gonna have to buy a thin walled?

You can really get under there and tighten it with all the smog stuff in place.....I am assuming you are taking of the airbox right?

Can you get a standard wall socket on there easily....

Yes

You can really get under there and tighten it with all the smog stuff in place.....

Yes... once you do it you'll see it's not so bad.

I am assuming you are taking of the airbox right?

No

Last edited:
Just tightened

Ok...went out and did a little under the hood yoga to get to these bolts....but I got them...the #2 (working back from the front) was loose...snugged it up.....but......

still have a leak.....gets quiter when it warms up (that must be exhaust right).....sounds like it is coming from just to the left of the carb (looking in from the drivers side of engine).......EGR? Should I try to snug up the big EGR tube nuts?

If i spray some carb cleaner..(alot) between the heat shield and manifold....the engine dies down a little....still some sort of leak in there. Gasket maybe.....a yes the fun begins.....

My exhaust stinks....so I figure the leak is leaning out my mixture....

Prob your gasket if never been done. Taking everything apart is a little intimidating at first, but it's not too bad. I would pull exhaust and intake manifolds, have resurfaced, then throw in a new Felpro gasket. Plus a new EGR gasket.

A good way to find a leak is dump a few ounces of ATF (produces really white smoke), or Seafoam down your carb while at idle. Any leak you may have... smoke will find its way out of it.

I didn't even think of that.....I did rig it open all the time like Chitown40 suggested......it turned but wasn't opening when hot....the spring wasn't reacting to the heat.

There is definitely a exhaust leak somewhere....it is small and goes away when warmed up....I am thinking EGR somewhere.....

I go for a smog check today....so I will let you all know the results....

I resmogged the 60....with a few omissions....(HAC)...and the airpump is constantly blowing down the exhaust pipe....

Stay Tuned

Sucks to be me!

After a dismal smog failure :crybaby: (after replacing every vac line and checking/replacing all switching).....

eye burning exhaust.....a recheck of AI system

found a nut missing off the egr manifold right below the carb....replaced...no more intake leak....I was out there at night with a flashlight and noticed it was missing....I must have looked 100 times before that...

I am still getting a pop/puff out of the exhaust at idle and really stinky fuel rich exhaust.

I am still baffled.....did the lean drop AGAIN no luck......tried to richen up the mixture at idle...no luck

Noticed that the Slow Cut Valve diaphram is cracked and hard as a rock.....could this be sucking extra fuel...or air creating a vac leak leaning the mix?

Plugs 5 and 6 have a nice light reddish ash on them.....as do all the other plugs....they all look the same.

Vac at idle is 19" holds steady with a slight twitch in the needle.....good power and acceleration while driving....no ping under load.......

There don't seem to be any intake or large exhaust leaks....it idles well....a little lope....but still pops/puffs out the tailpipe at idle...

Carb rebuild time?? It is original with around 185k on it.....Would a rebuild provide enough trim to fix the mix? guru''s weigh in please...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom