Installing Lutz Auto Speedometer Calibrator/Correction Device (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NickPsy

SILVER Star
Threads
Last weekend I installed the Lutz Auto Speedometer Correction device on my 06 LC100. My rig has Rock Warriors with 285/70/17's so slightly taller than the stock tire size. It was a one :banana: job and took < 1 hour hour including a few freeway runs to make sure it was accurate.

This is what I purchased: Toyota 3 Wire Speed Sensor Calibrator/Correction Device | Lutz Auto The cost was $114.95

The attached directions were very easy; you first determine the speedo error as a % by dividing actual speed over the indictated speed, minus 1. So, for me it was 73/70 - 1 = .0429 so I round up to 4.5%. Once you install the unit in-line at the transfer case wiring harness (key in on position) you simple push either the up or down button to correct your speedometer. Each push is .5%, so again, in my case I pushed the up arrow button 9 times (4.5 x 2). Done.

I took a test drive to ensure accuracy then per their directions I ran a bead of RTV to seal the box and zip tied it above the wiring for the transfer case. Works perfect; its accurate and and there is no lag or anything different from the way my speedometer operated without this in place.

My only small complaint is that I wish the unit had a rubber weather sleeve to better shield/protect the connectors. I suppose it would be easy to tape or wrap the connectors which I may end up doing.

Nick

IMG_1982.JPG
IMG_1983.JPG
View attachment 2399479View attachment 2399479
IMG_1991.JPG

Last edited:
I'm looking into the same one as well, did you find any issues with latency (lag) in the speedometer gauge? I know people have stated they have had this issue with the yellow box, i understand that the unit needs to compute what it takes in and re-send a (corrected) signal but i don't think there would be a 1 second, or more, delay like people are stating with the speed of todays processors. does your cruise control seem to have any issues while on hills or in any situation?

thanks!

here is the tread i am referring to

There are no lags or issues whatsoever with how the speedometer perform including the cruise control. It has performed flawlessly for the past 6 months.
awesome! thanks for the info! does the cover seal up well when you are done setting it up?

I have a question as well.

So I had installed the yellow box about four months ago and the only lag I have seen or noticed is on immediate take off. As soon as a signal is registered there has been nothing I can tell in normal driving or on cruise that is abnormal feeling. This would have been an issue for me. In daily life as an attentive driver, I am never looking at the speedometer under initial acceleration.

op one question I have is, is there ANY lag on initial acceleration. I’m happy to share a video of what i mean.

Thanks

Zero lag whatsoever. The speedometer functions exactly the same as it did before I installed the Lutz unit. This includes the function of the cruise control.

In terms of the cover seal, just look at the photos I posted. That’s what it is. I think a flexible rubber boot over the entire connection would have been nice but since I live in San Diego and rain is a rare event I wasn’t worried. My off-road activity is in Baja and to the mountains during winter so I have been in some snotty, wet and muddy conditions. So far everything is fine; in fact, until this post popped up I‘ve forgotten it even there.

Bottom line: easy install, flawless performance and just as easy to return to stock (or recalibrate) if ever needed.

thanks for this, i've been looking at the lutz box and wasnt sure

Yes!!!!!

I got my Lutz Controller! Can't wait to install!!!

PXL_20220810_220150172.jpg

Nice!~ Im curious to know if the speedo correction would also factor into the odometer and fuel range figures... would be nice if it did!

Evening Mud

WOW!!! Works like a charm, I'm geared 4:88 on 35's. After a couple of tries 17 clicks down was perfect.

Great product I'm pretty impressed, plug and Play was a breeze.

After a couple test drives with varied sustained speed to ensure the calibration was correct I noticed the case got pretty hot.

From my install I used some Tessa tape and plastic wire loom to protect the exposed wires. I also used heat shield silver reflective tape after silicone rtving the case and then wrapped that in tessa tape

PXL_20220814_223627849.MP.jpg

PXL_20220814_224053375.jpg

PXL_20220814_215412221.jpg

Hmm, it looks like mine has a different plug. It was definitely a no-go when I tried to put it together over the weekend.
IMG_3627.jpg

For the $$$, I'll continue to use GPS on both the 100 & 200 series.

Hmm, it looks like mine has a different plug. It was definitely a no-go when I tried to put it together over the weekend. View attachment 3087252
Interesting Looks like yours is also missing the outer house?

Here are some photos on the one I received from Lutz for comparison.

Screenshot_20220815-135009.png

Screenshot_20220815-134620.png

Just to clarify: Bryan determined that I somehow managed to order the Mahindra part number. I’m officially an idiot.

Got notified today from Bob Lutz that there is a recall on this device and requires a firmware update to fix. Seems like due to the chip shortage they changed the design to a different chip and didn't account for this so there is a risk of memory settings being erased if the voltage drops too low. If you didn't get notified by Bob, then you probably have the older one that doesn't have this problem (I just ordered mine a few days ago!)

Evening Mud

WOW!!! Works like a charm, I'm geared 4:88 on 35's. After a couple of tries 17 clicks down was perfect.

Great product I'm pretty impressed, plug and Play was a breeze.

After a couple test drives with varied sustained speed to ensure the calibration was correct I noticed the case got pretty hot.

From my install I used some Tessa tape and plastic wire loom to protect the exposed wires. I also used heat shield silver reflective tape after silicone rtving the case and then wrapped that in tessa tape

View attachment 3086988

View attachment 3086989

View attachment 3086990

Still running like a champ @BillyGoatMTB ?! Just getting settled on 37's and my head might explode if I don't fix the speedo error. 🤪 Just hoping to get some assurance that other 80's are running these problem free (even though this is a 100 thread...respekt to the almighty 100!).

Thanks! ✌🏻

Still running like a champ @BillyGoatMTB ?! Just getting settled on 37's and my head might explode if I don't fix the speedo error. 🤪 Just hoping to get some assurance that other 80's are running these problem free (even though this is a 100 thread...respekt to the almighty 100!).

Thanks! ✌🏻
Yup, running good.

There was a small issue where my speedometer was bouncing around in the 80 was sputtering a little. I pulled the Lutz and contacted Brian he suggested it might have been the pins not aligning just right.

Are we in the 80 multiple snowboard trips to the mountains worst weather you could imagine probably 3,000 miles total no issues. The speed of correctors been on there now for about a thousand miles and no issues.

Brian suggested to straighten out the pins and pay extra attention when I plug it in and I did notice a different type of resistance like everything was making really good contact.

Anyway other than that it's been great! I would absolutely buy again I also really appreciate how engaged Brian is about the product.

I sealed mine as well as wrapping the wire harness in tesitate with split loom for extra protection.

I agree with you completely the speedometer being off so much kind of drives me nuts now it's dead on and it makes things a lot nicer.

Rock on 80's, 100's and all Land Cruisers, wish I could get a 79 diesel 4 door..... It's a dream I hope comes true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom