Installing a Tekonsha 3040-P wiring harness in a 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
Now that the 2004 UZJ is on the road, it will serve as a DD and tow vehicle. Installing a brake controller was a must for me. I have a hardly used Prodigy Brake Controller that was installed on my 80 years ago that was sitting, so I used that.

I bought the 3040-P Tekonsha harness from Amazon- http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-3040-P-Control-Wiring-Adapter/dp/B001NZQIFM Toyota also makes an OEM harness, but since I already had the Prodigy, it made sense to go this route. I believe Toyota's still requires you to connect wires on the brake controller side. This was easier as both just plugged in.

Here is a pic of my controller and the harness. I am pleased with the quality of the loom.

IMG_7142.JPG

Finding the connector proved to be a little difficult. It is tucked up there well.

First, you need to remove the lower panel. I had to remove the door rubber, then the kick panel. Then I unbolted the bolt on the bottom left of the lower dash panel. The rest of it is clipped in and it pulled out.

Once underneath, I pulled the the bottom vent out from the left most side, it just pulls in/out. This gave me the clearance to get my hand in there as well as see what I was looking at.

Now to find the connector. It took about 10-15 minutes of hunting to find it, I actually questioned if it was there. I finally found it though, it's on the right side of the steering column with some brownish tape around it. Mine was pointing upwards toward the roof.

Below is a pic of it. You can see it wrapped in the aforementioned brown tape on the left side in the middle with the yellow arrow. You need to cut the tape in order to free the connector. I carefully used some box cutters.

Sorry the pic isn't better, but between autofocus, the tight quarters and laying awkwardly on my back, I did the best I could...

IMG_7159.png

Once free, you can pull the plug down and see the connection.

IMG_7160.JPG

From there, I plugged in my connector, ran the Prodigy end through the back side of the ash tray. I grounded it to the bolt that is on the right side behind where the lower dash bezel is. There is a metal plate that sits there. Not the greatest ground but it works. I may relocate to a bolt on the steering column/firewall.

Then just reinstall everything in reverse order.

Hello Mr Cruiser Yard, this is Frank. Sorry for the hijack but do you think there's a best year for 100s? Looking at a purchase. Hope your well.

This inspired me to go ahead and find mine as well, but I took the lazy route. The black piece of vent is only held on by one screw which can easily be removed with a small ratcheting box wrench. I removed the screw, pulled the vent out, and the plug was right there as pictured. Since I'm not 100% where I want the controller mounted yet I just hooked the pig tail up and tucked it in near the kick panel with the rest of the obscene amount of wiring.

I have the controller and wiring harness. I have located the connector under the dash. I want to put the controller where the ashtray
is. No problem removing the ashtray itself but how is the housing that the ashtray inserts into removed? Can the trim around the ashtray 12 volt and power port be easily removed to get to the back? I have no opening to squeeze the harness trough without removing the ashtray housing. This is holding up my install. Also for those with the Tekonsha harness, where are you attaching the ground wire?

Thanks

If you have the P3 controller, no need to remove the ashtray housing. The wire harness can be fed thruigh from the rear without removing anything but the ashtray. The P3 comes with a bracket that happens to fit in the opening. I just used 2 screws up into the top of the ashtray frame to secure the bracket. Mine is not in the vehicle right now or I would post a photo. If you need a photo, I could put it back in tomorrow. There is a handy bolt under the dash in front of the drivers knee that makes a good ground (no paint).

Thanks Sandroad,

I have the P3 and harness. There must be some difference in the Lexus and Toyota ashtray. Mine is the push on the ashtray and it opens by itself one. Is yours the same? We both have 2004 models and there is no opening anywhere in the housing in mine to run wires. If I can get the trim off around the ashtray and 12 volt plugs I might be able to access the back of the housing to dremel an opening to run the wires. It looks like it is held on by clips in each corner. I can pull the top ones out but the bottom ones aren't budging and I am afraid I will break the clips if I pull too hard on the trim. Appreciate the input so far. Will keep working on it.

I have the controller and wiring harness. I have located the connector under the dash. I want to put the controller where the ashtray is. No problem removing the ashtray itself but how is the housing that the ashtray inserts into removed? Can the trim around the ashtray 12 volt and power port be easily removed to get to the back? I have no opening to squeeze the harness trough without removing the ashtray housing. This is holding up my install. Also for those with the Tekonsha harness, where are you attaching the ground wire?

Thanks

From the last paragraph I wrote in the first post.

From there, I plugged in my connector, ran the Prodigy end through the back side of the ash tray. I grounded it to the bolt that is on the right side behind where the lower dash bezel is. There is a metal plate that sits there. Not the greatest ground but it works. I may relocate to a bolt on the steering column/firewall.

If you can't find that still, I can try to get a pic or two.

Thanks,

Saw it now. Sorry about that. Frustrated about the dang controller. Trailer will be ready next week and have to get this part figured out. Not a whole lot of options as far as mounting the controller. Prefer not having to drill into the lower dash. The ashtray will be perfect once I get it figured out. Thanks again.

No worries, again if you need some pics let us know. I suspect that once you get in there you'll see what I was referring to though.

The LX ashtray must be different because the LC ashtray has to be pulled out manually. So my install is irrelevant. It is a great location for the P3, so I hope you get it figured out.

Update: Success!

First of all thanks for all your help on this. For this install there are some differences between the Lexus and Toyota. There is no opening in the back of the Lexus ashtray. I needed to take the trim ring around the ashtray and 12 v plugs off but couldn't get the clips at the bottom of the trim off. Had a contact at the dealer and one of the techs had it off in 5 seconds! You have to lift the top of the console up so the clips release. Once that was done I removed the ashtray housing and cut a hole in the back to run the wiring harness through.

My wife assisted finding and connecting the harness to the plug under the dash. Helps to have small hands and body to get that done. Put everything back together, turned ignition on and we are good to go. The controller fits perfectly in the ashtray. Thanks again for taking the time to document your installs.

Ed

Are you guys planning to leave the controller in all the time or remove/reinstall as needed?

We're taking a trip mid June and are borrowing my parents camper trailer so I've been looking at a brake controller. I think that if this trip goes well we might start looking for something similar but I still don't see myself leaving a brake controller installed all the time.

As far as install goes I have some heavy duty velcro that I'll likely attach to the controller and the plastic cover under the steering wheel for temporary use.

Mine fits so well in the ashtray opening I leave it in all the time. It's out right now only because I removed the console to install a Scangauge. It goes back in today.

Be careful with temporary mounts like Velcro because the trailer brakes are activated by controller movement and if the controller is not stable you could have some unintended activation. Also, for me, under the steering column would be a knee-whacker.

Hey guys, do you know what the first year is that Toyota added the plug? You all note a 2004. I have a 2001.

Yep, I think I saw that also.

Does not look to tough to attach to the wires, I have those also but not sure where to get the little blue wire splicer connector

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom