Installed Android / Carplay interface into OEM system (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it runs Apple Car Play and doesn't lose any of the factory functionality in regards to the user interface then I am definitely interested. I think you can get people on board for $350, maybe $400 but it's a bit steep beyond that IMHO, especially when it isn't providing any new hardware (bigger screen).
it runs carplay plugged in or wireless. No issues at all. You can also have car play and stream sound through their system or directly through OEM system while watching carplay on screen.

Looks like an usable interface, though a little touchy.

Have you lived with it enough to offer some good feedback on it for those of us that may be interested?
You are absolutely correct. Screen is touchy and doesnt always respond properly. But for most of the time it does the job. Compared to a good capacitive screen this ofcause does not come close. But you keep your OEM functionality. You Also gain another source of entertainment. One more GPS antenna that works Also DVR for car recording. That is coming as soon as my parts arrive from china. After that 360 camera install as well. Stay tuned for more.

Are there separate apps for car play or does it mirror your phone?
Have not been able to figure that out yet.
If it has it's own app selection, are there any missing that the average person may miss from their phone?

Are there separate apps for car play or does it mirror your phone?
Have not been able to figure that out yet.
If it has it's own app selection, are there any missing that the average person may miss from their phone?
you use a dongle and it comes with an app. Each dongle has their own app usually. But most work the same. Its an APK that is inside the USB dongle that gets installed.

Reactions: r2m
So I'm reading that one needs to purchase the USB dongle after purchasing the Carplay?
If so, any recommendations?
May be a stupid question, but what's an APK? (or a typo and should be APP)

So I'm reading that one needs to purchase the USB dongle after purchasing the Carplay?
If so, any recommendations?
May be a stupid question, but what's an APK? (or a typo and should be APP)
you order the dongle from them with the system. The app will be pre installed into the system. I will take a picture of it for you and make another video later on how it works. It took me a while to understand at first because I have never been an android user. But after using it made more sense.

Reactions: r2m
you order the dongle from them with the system. The app will be pre installed into the system. I will take a picture of it for you and make another video later on how it works. It took me a while to understand at first because I have never been an android user. But after using it made more sense.
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to go through all this! :cheers:

Definitely interested in adding CarPlay option...I am purchasing a 2010 GX tomorrow morning. Super excited.

Does this retain the factory backup camera and microphone? Can you add a front camera?

Does this retain the factory backup camera and microphone? Can you add a front camera?
yes it uses factory microphone, Keep you factory back up camera and all factory functionality. you can add front left and right and additional camera as well. You can also add USB DVR front and rear additional cameras to the android system. You also get another GPS using off line maps. Works well actually. Little touchy response using OEM touch screen. But works fine. I am used to it and happy to have it.

ok having issues with LSALT shutting down after car is off. Used to work. But now stays on and gets hot. Because it has been on for a while well the whole time. Battery seems to be fine. So not sure whats up

ok having issues with LSALT shutting down after car is off. Used to work. But now stays on and gets hot. Because it has been on for a while well the whole time. Battery seems to be fine. So not sure whats up
LSALT?
I’m stumped....but I’m guessing it doesn’t mean “Lowest Safe Altitude”.

It’s a bummer that the unit is beginning to malfunction.

At least for now it seems there isn't a
reliable solution for adding CarPlay/Android Auto.

LSALT?
I’m stumped....but I’m guessing it doesn’t mean “Lowest Safe Altitude”.

It’s a bummer that the unit is beginning to malfunction.

At least for now it seems there isn't a
reliable solution for adding CarPlay/Android Auto.
Well I spoke to them and they said its actually normal. The unit stays active for 5 minutes after vehicle shut off and then goes into low power consumption. So there is still power consumption. Also they asked about my MCU version so they are working with me. Otherwise the system has been great. I still feel like this is overpriced. I should have just installed a cell activated ipad mini and be done with it. But complete integration is far more interesting to me.

Hate to say it but lack of factory CarPlay and inability to upgrade to a quality aftermarket option is what kept me from getting a GX or LX/LC.

That doesn’t sound bad at all. I can definitely live with that.

Now if they would just release a 2010-2013 version, I would definitely buy it.

Hate to say it but lack of factory CarPlay and inability to upgrade to a quality aftermarket option is what kept me from getting a GX or LX/LC.
I would not let CarPlay hold you back. Bluetooth and phone mount is just fine.

After having CarPlay in my wife’s car, I couldn’t buy one without it. The navigation feature on trips is excellent.
To be honest it is great. But then I gave lexus navigation a try and it was better. Yes it looks not as sexy but when you loose signal from your mobile phone. Lexus Navigation keeps on going.

Ok Got my latest MCU update and it works great again. Added DVR front and rear cameras with ADAS and GPS recording

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom