Installed Android / Carplay interface into OEM system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking at the video install you posted Acrad, the process doesn't look so bad, maybe a :banana::banana: or :banana::banana::banana: job on a weekend. The hardest part is probably tearing apart the dash and console.
Installation and take the center console apart is not that difficult, it may intimidate at first, but it is straight forward process. I found myself spend more time of planning where to mount the USB ports for CarPlay and routing the cables properly to be organized more OEM look. Thanks @Acrad for link my original post on CL, that I don’t have to repeat myself again :)

I guess Lsailt told hzhao they do have a system that will work on 10-13 models as well. That will be an interesting development if that is the case.

I need carplay, pure and simple. And after installing the “tesla” 10.4” vertical screen in the wife’s 470 I decided I did not want to go that route on my 2010 460. But now I think I’m screwed because I have a 2010 and none of these boxes will work and provide carplay? If no options exist but the “tesla” vertical screen then I guess I’ll have to do it. At least that screen is 15” for the 460. Meh, moot point.

Why not do a GROM VLine?

"Now with Wireless Apple® CarPlay®!"

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 3.55.50 PM.png

I followed hzhao and Acrad install notes, and the LSAILT install isn't bad at all - like they both said, cable / wire management is the biggest part. Everything else looks scary but once you see how easy it is to remove everything it isn't that bad. I took the opportunity while everything was apart to install some other electrical upgrades, so it all worked out nice.

And I am very pleased with my LSAILT unit - it works great. I found that as long as you are *deliberate* with screen touches, it works fine.

I bought mine here:

Your link is missing......
Hi, just a heads up (from the owner) regarding this link... it was a group buy for the Lsailt unit in August. It has expired. Not sure if there’s enough demand to import in bulk to resell moving forward.

I wanted to make a direct comparison of the Lsailt vs GROM VL2 which I have yet to receive and has been a disaster in communication dealing with GROM. The expectation was likely a very similar unit if not identical, but perhaps better support from GROM as they have a presence in USA (Texas)...unfortunately it’s been the exact opposite experience.

Came here looking to see if others had an opportunity to compare the 2 units first hand by now.

I jumped in on a group buy for the Grom VL2 but the item still has not shipped despite the claimed 1-2 business day processing time. I have not reached out to Grom yet, figured I would give it til the end of the week. I decided on the Grom unit because of the presence in Texas like @BaseCamperHQ mentioned.

I jumped in on a group buy for the Grom VL2 but the item still has not shipped despite the claimed 1-2 business day processing time. I have not reached out to Grom yet, figured I would give it til the end of the week. I decided on the Grom unit because of the presence in Texas like @BaseCamperHQ mentioned.

I ordered a Grom Vline2 and have it but had an issue during install (completely black screen once everything is installed) Apparently they had an issue with the supplier on video cables and will be getting new ones in in the next week or two and stated they would ship one of the new ones right out to me this month. For me they have been easy to comunicate with via email, sometimes responding same day. You can even log into their website and it shows all of your conversation history with tech suport. I will report back on how the install goes with the new cable when I get it. I have a 2016 GX460 for reference.

I ordered a Grom Vline2 and have it but had an issue during install (completely black screen once everything is installed) Apparently they had an issue with the supplier on video cables and will be getting new ones in in the next week or two and stated they would ship one of the new ones right out to me this month. For me they have been easy to comunicate with via email, sometimes responding same day. You can even log into their website and it shows all of your conversation history with tech suport. I will report back on how the install goes with the new cable when I get it. I have a 2016 GX460 for reference.

Did you ever get your cable and complete your install? I'd love to hear your impressions of Carplay, and specifically phone call quality via Carplay.

I need carplay, pure and simple. And after installing the “tesla” 10.4” vertical screen in the wife’s 470 I decided I did not want to go that route on my 2010 460. But now I think I’m screwed because I have a 2010 and none of these boxes will work and provide carplay? If no options exist but the “tesla” vertical screen then I guess I’ll have to do it. At least that screen is 15” for the 460. Meh, moot point.

The Grom module does wireless CarPlay out of the box, and doesn't have any of the noise/static or integration issues of the Lsailt

You’re right - the Grom is a nice option for the 10-13 trucks.

Unfortunately, I have an iPhone for both for work and personal lines, so the Grom it isn’t a viable option for me.

I know...first world problems, right? Lol
No, the Grom module is equally compatible with iPhone and Android. It does wireless CarPlay with your iPhone, and runs Android apps independent of the phone, just using your phone's wifi hotspot or any other wifi signal for data. It runs Android, like any high-end aftermarket head unit -- Apple doesn't license iOS to third parties, so there will never be an iOS head unit unless the Apple Car comes to fruition. But that doesn't matter since it's only using your phone as a hotspot

android_auto_car_radio_for_lexus_gx460_2011_2020_car_multimedia_player_androidauto_apple_carplay_jpg_q90_9b10378f1c5c15b464bc0cfd923d3cfd1cc8d0c1.jpg
sf02fd6bf874e49539f6e8bd53e5b2656n_2771dfc30bcbef6993b9f1f63efb852483559737.jpg

Other Videos

Android 10 Car Stereo radio player for Lexus GX460 2010-2020 with GPS navigation audio stereo - https://youtu.be/ltSlgT2LO-c
-
Demo Video: 2011-2020 Lexus GX460 12.3 inch Screen Upgrade - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28C_Fc1mKbc

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom