inner tierod replacement 1hr step by step no pictures 1 bannana (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
overlooking the Mississippi River @ Memphis
Symptoms truck drove great and tracked well but under hard braking I'd get a shutter was worse on down hill braking... felt like warped rotors but since it wasn't happening all the time I figured something was worn at only 325k miles I was kinda pissed but maybe I GOT A BAD ONE... Ok I knew this was coming and I had already ordered the parts Steering Tie Rod End Front Outer Inner Left Right For Lexus LX470 1998 To 2002 | eBay I KNOW MOST OF YOU GUYS WOULD NOT USE THESE but really the quality looks as good as anything else I've had...
I got some new tires (cooper 285 60 r18) bought them online (simpletire.com) and took them down to my local in the hood tire shop (they have mounted and balanced at least 20 sets for me and all were dead on) when they jacked up the front I grabbed the front tire and it was easy to tell... the inner tie rods were shot... at least 1" of movement at tires edge. OUCH rt side was worse than the drivers but both were over 1".... damn...

Step by Step fix... & tool list...
Tools needed jack and 2 jack stands if you want to just jack up the truck once...
12mm socket with 6" extension & ratchet for the front skid pan removal
10" channel locks, needle nose pliers, 13/16" open end wrench, 2 large crescent wrenches, one large pipe wrench, hooked pick tool or long skinny screwdriver, hammer and long large flathead screwdriver, ruler or carpenter square

after you jack up and remove tires/wheels and place your jackstands under your truck with parking brake on and rear wheels chocked
1. remove front skid pan 12mm socket required
2. with steering turned ALMOST 3/4 full rt remove clamps holding the dust boot... the small end is easy, on the big end mine had the factory clamps that have the small hook that locks them clamped... if you are careful the whole clamp or clamp and boot will rotate so that you can twist it to the bottom and see what you are doing... needle nose pliers or the channel locks can grab the nubs on the clamp squeezing it tighter which lets it "unlock/unlatch" once the clamp is off pull back the boot to expose where the tierod joins the rack
3, there is a lock washer that bends over the tie rod flats to keep it from unscrewing... use your hammer and long flathead screwdriver to UNBEND these washers
4. now if you happen to have a thin 42mm wrench you can unscrew your tie rod from the rack... I did not have a 42mm wrench much less a thin 42mm wrench... so I used a large pipe wrench... best at this point to turn your steering back to the left so you can have some slack to remove/unscrew the tie rod
5. using the right size wrenches (or crescents in my case) break the inner tie rod free from the outer tie rod making sure to move the jam nut as little as possible, the flats on mine took a 13/16" open end wrench
unscrew the tie rod don't move the jam nut YET I wanted to measure as close as i could the overall used length, so that I could transfer that to the new tie rod so my alignment would be close, using a metal ruler/carpenters square, I measured the old tie rod from the flat surface where it joins the rack to the outer surface of the jam nut... this let me set the new tie rod so my alignment would be close upon reassembly.
now you can remove your boot to reuse (i did) wish I had new ones... but oh well
6. making sure you have your new flat locking washer on the rack end of your new tie rod it only goes on ONE WAY, screw it onto your rack and tighten (i used the pipe wrench) make sure you align the slots and nibs on the lockwasher it matters! and bend it over so it's locked in place...
7. reinstall your boot and clamp
8. now screw the inner rod to the outer rod if you measured right and got your jam nut set close you should be good to go after you tighten everything up
9 do it all again on the other side and you are done... took me about an hour and I've never done it before on a 100 series...
I was rushed for time I had the new outers but did not install them as they seemed tight... but think you could do all 4 in 2 hrs, I will replace the outers before I get it realigned...

must have got it pretty close it tracked well and no pulling and steering wheel is dead on... and the hard braking shutter is gone...

This is my DD street cruiser and I'm sure these are made in china parts... but I know they are better than what I had... and the quality looked pretty damn good to me... for you off road trail guys for $35 it might be worth keeping for trail spares... I won't loose any sleep over them any more than i do my $100ebay TB WP kits...

Last edited:
Very nice! I bet my shudder under heavy braking is due to the same... I'm planning to replace the whole rack, but per inner tie end rods are a more economic solution...

Very nice! I bet my shudder under heavy braking is due to the same... I'm planning to replace the whole rack, but per inner tie end rods are a more economic solution...

easy to tell jack up the front end... grab the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock and try to move... watch your tierods and it's easy to see where the slack/movement is... it was easy for me to see it was NOT the outer ones... and easy to tell it was the inner... good luck

easy to tell jack up the front end... grab the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock and try to move... watch your tierods and it's easy to see where the slack/movement is... it was easy for me to see it was NOT the outer ones... and easy to tell it was the inner... good luck

Yep... I know my rack is loose. Was planning on replacing the whole thing, but I'm considering just doing the inner tie rods as a cheaper solution.

Reviving a old one to thank the OP. I had a shop check out my ballpoints etc just for piece of mind while checking a noise I found to be a skid plate. They found slop in the pass side inner tie rod end. I had them quote the job and they had a hour and a half labor showing and a import direct joint at $130 both sounded high to me so I told em I’d check back later and went home to research the job. I found $30 ends but it’s my steering and I spend a lot of time in pretty remote areas so a extra few bucks for a quality part is worth it to me . The same brand part that the shop quoted me I found at orileys for about $80 so that’s a $50 mark up on one pretty small part and after reading this and watching this vid. By low range off road. It looked easy enough and less than the book labor time. so I ordered a quality 555 rack end from Kurt at Cruiser outfitters for $65 or so and a new boot from rock auto for about $18 figuring I’d might as well replace it while in there plus I was concerned about getting the inner clamp off and figured I’d just bust it with a screwdriver and hammer if needed and possibly tear the boot, I did wind up busting the clamp easily . But to cut to the chase, the job only took about 45 min total with the skid plate already off and was done for less than $100 with shipping. It’s a piece of cake that I had dreaded. Oh I didn’t use any speciality tools, just a crescent wrench and pipe wrench for the big stuff. So thanks again to this great forums

Last edited:
Went to get an aligment and shop said right inner rods are worn out.

They quoted me $130 parts + 220 labor for just one.

Should I get the complete 555 set from cruise outfitters and replace both inner and outers?

Or just replace the one that is shot?

Went to get an aligment and shop said right inner rods are worn out.

They quoted me $130 parts + 220 labor for just one.

Should I get the complete 555 set from cruise outfitters and replace both inner and outers?

Or just replace the one that is shot?
Lol that's a ripoff on labour. Takes an hour tops for both sides. But ofc a shop would rip you off with an hour per side labour.

What's the mud consensus on replacing both sides if one side shows wear? Logic says if one side is worn, so is the other or close to it, even though its not exhibiting symptoms of wear-out yet.

What's the mud consensus on replacing both sides if one side shows wear? Logic says if one side is worn, so is the other or close to it, even though its not exhibiting symptoms of wear-out yet.

I ended up doing both. Bought from Amazon. 555 brand $150 for all 4 purchased individually . Borrowed tool from autozone for free and about an hour a side.

That's less than half. I'm coming up with $380 shipped via partsouq.
Do you have PNs you used for 555? Are they Chinese?

Why do people think Moog / 555 / Sankei is actually the provider for Toyota OE parts? Is this true?
edit: looks like they are Made in Japan. Nice!!

Last edited:
Moog boxes but 555 parts stamped on all rods.
Left and right outers are different PN
Inners are the same.
Made in Japan.
Screenshot_20191227-081034_Amazon Shopping.jpg

edit: just bought all of the above^^^^ if they are 555s in moog boxes, i will be a happy camper. im just gonna return my AA order when it comes

yall trust that moog inner? i just ordered the 555 outer from advanced auto but the 555 inners are $95+ each

Last edited:
Both the outers and inners that I ordered from moog from amazon had the 555 stamp on it.
20191227_091315.jpg

Just ordered all 4 for $180 w tax, delivered. They don't have the boots or metal clamps? Did you reuse the OE ones?

ES800450 (1) $41.78
ES800449 (1) $45.09
EV800319 (2) $41.37

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom