Injection Pump timer cover leaking and loose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think you can screw things up significantly. Your pump can be rendered unrebuildable, and a new one will cost you a lot.
If your timing is too far off you will end up with scuffed rod and main bearings in the engine quickly as well. Really not so brilliant and not worth it.

Maybe . . . I'm sure if I really literally screwed it up or out that could make a big difference but, as far as I know, the timer mechanism there is to advance the timing under load so little adjustments should be ok.

Fuel comes from the feed pump and partly channeled through the timer. Extra load = extra fuel pressure on the timer piston = advanced timing.

142-3b7669e7ac.jpg

It's "just" a spring running things down there. I am sure after 20 years or so that spring don't spring like it used to.

But thanks for the warning! I am going to be very very careful.

Michael

I agree. Don't mess with it without the correct tools such as a dial gauge. On my VE type pump on the TD4.2, the factory timiing is set at 0.74mm. Advancing it or retarding it by .03mm makes a big difference on engine performance - immediately seen by increased black smoke or white smoke. I don't think most people can gauge .03 of a difference without the tools. Most diesel tuners that I know of use the dial gauge, a dyno (or real road test) and EGT guage to properly set the timing for max performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom