infamous rear axle seal leak 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dad has 97 4runner w/140,00 miles on it...looks like it has the rear axle outer seal leak, but its the seal that is on the bearings side, not axle side...grease all over the shoes...not sure how long its been like that...so maybe safe to replace the bearings ??? are they inner/outer ones in the hub ??? timkens ? trying to get info before heading to local parts store to get done this week...thanks..

got a quote for $142 for labor to r/r bearings, pack them, r/r all necessary seals...

I would imagine that a 97 has the same rear axle setup as earlier trucks but you may want to check the FSM to be sure.

My 87 has a large sealed bearing that is pressed onto the axleshaft and held in place by a pressed on collar that has to be destroyed to remove the bearing. I have had to replace the bearing and seals on both sides of my axle once.

I remove the brakeline from the backing plate. Undo the four nuts and pull the entire axle assembly with backing plate and take it to my local machine shop for them to cut off the collar. Press off the old bearing and press on the new one and the colllar. I also replace both seals when I am at it. The outter seal will be done by the machine shop when they R&R the bearing.

Machine shop cost is $20 for me and the bearing runs around $50 I think.

If you have a press you could do the job at home.

thanks guys, i did pull the hub/axle assembly, thinking it was the inner axle seal, but wasn't !!! ugh..all that work and couldn't do anything about it..so figure now, have to take it to a machine press to get it done....trying to gather all the parts before tearing it down again or just let the local place do it and let my dad pay the $142 labor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom