Inexpensive Rear Tire Carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That was the same delimma I had. I couldn't spend $2500 for a Slee so I created my own that hides cleanly under that factory bumper and blends in. I should be starting another batch of diy kits this spring if anyone is interested and has a welder.

IMG_1579.JPG

Info can be found here

80 Series Factory Bumper Swing Out DIY Kits

I have a @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr for sale. I found a kamar locally and went that direction. The summit cruiser kit is superior to the kamar in my opinion but the kamar I picked up was plug & play. Message me if interested.

I was looking at the Wilco design and for the price kind of like it. I would love to get a Slee rear end but can't justify the $2500 plus for one. I just had a hitch mounted tire carrier made and it sticks out way more than I wanted but at least I have something to carry a 35' spare with a high lift and a tool box. It may look ugly but for $500 why not. The picture is for fitting. It's not done yet. Once it's done and everything is added, I'll post new pictures.

View attachment 1369450 View attachment 1369452 View attachment 1369453

Trying to understand why you did not put on Roof? Center of Gravity?

Trying to understand why you did not put on Roof? Center of Gravity?
It was mostly for the space on top. I wanted to keep the area clear to put all of my camping gear up there. The other reason is that It's easy getting camping gear off but it's a lot harder to get up there and take a 35" tire off the top; I'm getting older and fatter as well...lol.
I was a bit concerned with the weight of it on top but I see a lot of people doing it. I really didn't want the weight of it up there just to go to the city.

Other than sticking out like a sore thumb, I'm getting use to it more and more. I have been waiting to get final pictures of it after it stops snowing but it hasn't stopped yet. Once it does I'll get the final pictures on here.
It doesn't move at all. There is a wedge that can be tightened by a bolt once it's inside the hitch. I also asked for a couple extra secure points that I can attach two turn buckles to the tie down points on the underside of the 80. Once all three points are tight, the carrier is solid. I towed a little Ford Ranger out of the snow and up a few blocks with it and it didn't have a problem.
The space between the carrier and the back of the 80 drives me nuts but I have plenty of room to attach a Highlift jack and something else like some Maxtrax, if I could ever afford them. I'm not too disappointed anymore because it is a budged build and finally gives the the option of carrying my spare with out throwing it on top of the rack and it's completely removable if I so desire.
As soon as the snow melts a bit I'll get some finished pictures.
Did you consider modifying it to bolt onto the pintle hitch holes?

Did you consider modifying it to bolt onto the pintle hitch holes?
The wilco bumper was so low to the ground it dragged constantly off road. This bumper works very well once the lower hitch mount is cut off, then drill holes through the bumper and bolt though the pintle hitch holes that exist in the rear frame cross member, hidden right under the plastic. You can even add wings on the end to create a full width bar for protection. I'll post a photo at the end of the thread.

Buy a welder and build your own. You'll tap yourself on the shoulder for the accomplishment, other members will be impressed with your work when seen, and you'll have the welder for later.

Front, rear, and sliders can be built for about $1000 in materials and consumables. Minus the tool cost.

Love the knucklebone design. Would make for a cool carrier if i could fit a Rear hitch in the stock location.

The Knucklebone also has an optional piece that clamps on the hitch Frame to one side to allow the actual hitch to remain free. Pretty clever setup.

I have a @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr for sale. I found a kamar locally and went that direction. The summit cruiser kit is superior to the kamar in my opinion but the kamar I picked up was plug & play. Message me if interested.
Moneypit, how much for the summit cruiser kit, also is it for a FJ80. Thanks Medman

Moneypit, how much for the summit cruiser kit, also is it for a FJ80. Thanks Medman

Sold it sorry. Thanks for asking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom