Induction heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The discussion about the induction heater in the "CLCC tech day 3/23" thread intrigued me. I was surprised at the $$$ for the unit and the $$ for the coil kit. So I did a little bit of research and this is what I came up with. WARNING: If you already own one of the $$$ commercial induction heaters, stop reading now! You will not like what I did.

I went on Amazon and bought a Yosoo ZVS induction heating module for $40 (including shipping). It comes with a large copper coil that is intended to be used with a metal crucible. This coil is way to large for heating bolts so I made my own coil out of 12 gauge wire.

pcb.jpg

I hooked it up to my power supply. At about 13 Volts and 11 Amps and less than one minute later I got this.
coilbolt.jpg

bolt.jpg

My next step will be to get some high temperature braided insulation to slide over the wire so the coils don't touch anything, extend the length of the coil's legs and put the module in a study box with a fan. This should make it field ready so it can be hooked up to a vehicle's battery and used on the trail, if needed.

I saw those units on Amazon but was unsure of there quality.

I saw those units on Amazon but was unsure of there quality.
Me too, and I didn’t trust the reviews. Some of the questions people asked on Amazon were strange, “can I use this to heat my RV?” For $40 I took the risk. Seems to work OK. There are some power up issues with a switching power supply but a battery should be fine.

As it looks like the threaded rod is galvanized and you're doing this inside (at your kitchen table?), I'll just mention it would be best to do this in a well ventilated area and not to inhale the zinc fumes. ;)

As it looks like the threaded rod is galvanized and you're doing this inside (at your kitchen table?), I'll just mention it would be best to do this in a well ventilated area and not to inhale the zinc fumes. ;)
Yep, agree. Basement workshop. 70 degree day with windows and door open. Wasn’t happy about the zinc but it was the longest bolt I could find in the orphaned fastener box. Thanks for the concern.

Yep, agree. Basement workshop. 70 degree day with windows and door open. Wasn’t happy about the zinc but it was the longest bolt I could find in the orphaned fastener box. Thanks for the concern.

Mind you, also stated for the benefit of those following along at home that may not have your knowledge of such things. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom