Inconsistent idle/bad mpg (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FishTown

TLCA Member #29560
Threads
Recently purchased a 1990 4runner with the 3.0 v6. I now understand these vehicles are known to be underpowered. However, I'm concerned about a couple things.

SOMETIMES, my idle jumps up and down. When it does, it jumps from 1100 to 2000 and back. As if I'm tapping my foot on the gas. It doesn't do this all the time.

I picked it up from a shop to get my a/c recharged and get new front brakes. The inconsistent idling was not happening before I took it to the shop. I thought maybe the a/c was causing it, but it still happens when I turn the a/c off.

I've also noticed that I'm not getting as good gas mileage as I thought. I'm getting about 13.5 in town. I haven't figured out the hwy gas mileage yet.

Let me know what y'all think.

We had a '94 4Runner that got 10mpg at first. After a good tune up and a K&N intake we got it up to 17 mpg highway, but the 3.0 doesn't really traditionally get good milage anyway...

sounds like vacuum to me man.

In the FAQ thread is a link to some online FSMs.

Here is the online version of the one I use over at TTORA: 1990 to 1995 Toyota 4Runner OEM Repair and Wiring Manuals
Look at the Engine mechanical: troubleshooting pages. Make sure you are looking at the 3VZE engine and not the 22RE.

I have a '91 with the same problems. I've been told that the 3.slow should get about 14mpg, and you can tweak it to get 15-16mpg but it's a push. As for the idle problem, mine feels like it could be the throttle getting sticky and sticking open. Although I do have more problems with low idle too. Sometimes mine will idle at a perfect 800rpm, sometimes 1000rpm, and then most of the time 400rpm and sometimes drop to 200rpm and bounce and die every now and then.

I'm going to seafoam it first, then move in from there starting probably with the vacuum system first.

idle jumping up and down is consistent with a bad, sticking, or out of adjustment TPS. Check that the TPS is within spec, not sticking, and adjusted properly per the FSM. This will also cause poor mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom