In which I ask the obnoxious spring question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there are MANY threads dedicated to this and I've waded through many of them, but I also know that people here have tried all kinds of solutions and have probably already found the answer I'm looking for, so why not. This is my 97. It's on 33's and current a TJM 50mm progressive rate 50 mm lift.
PXL_20211003_191033197.jpeg

I've been experiencing a lot of trouble with my suspension lately. Most of that blame lies with ICON vehicle dynamics and the 3(!) pairs of shocks I've had to put on the rear in a year where the nitrogen has been leaking out and the shocks die rapidly as a result. But even with new shocks that aren't leaking I have a serious case of the wobbles, where it feels like Im driving without sway bars. Any bump feels like its moving one side more than the other and the shocks have to try and figure it out (sway bar bushings are relatively new btw). I recently noticed that my car was sagging on the side with my fridge and even with nothing in the back but a very light fridge slide my spring on my drivers side is down .6 inch compared to passenger. I think the problem is that my springs are worn out and firmly in coil bind on the soft rate where the other side is also worn out but JUST out of coil bind causing a strange rate imbalance. Not only that but even from new these springs are sort of not what I need. They ride great unladen most of the time, but they squat WAY too much with even a moderate load (see above). This causes departure angle problems but most significantly they cause an issue in the front where the front springs actually contact the bump stop perch and have bent them enough that they hit spring on perch often. I plan to fix that when I do springs with new perches and some light grinding. (NOTE: I have stock bushings on the control arms, but I use the Man-A-Fre drop brackets for alignment so my wheelbase should be correct up front).

Anyway, I've got some pretty annoying requirements for their replacements and I am hoping you have some advice.

1. They can't lift it anymore than the current springs (garage height limits). Right now my well to floor measures in the rear are 37.6 passenger, 37 driver. 38 would be where I am in trouble with my garage door. 50mm lift is my max.
2. They can't be heavies because it's not heavy 90% of the time and the ride can't get worse than it is. In the winter especially the aluminum body shocks are BRUTAL without a load, even with custom compression damping.
3. I plan to airbag whatever springs I get because I want to also consider getting a dual sport to hang off the back. Even if I don't I need something to make lightish springs work with a load so I can use all the meager departure angle I have.

Im leaning to something like a J spring. I'm guessing that linear would take an airbag better than progressive, but these wouldn't be brutally firm. I thought about dobinson or slinky but people seem to be reporting way more than advertised lift with those and with my light right Im sure I would be in that area.

I am also looking for P/N for the airbag kit that people use with taller springs on these if anyone has it. The PN that firestone gives you is for stock heigh and while Im sure that would work I would rather go with a slightly taller one to fit it better. Any advice on routing and plumbing would also be appreciated. Im sure I can figure it out but I wanted to see if anyone had experienced any surprises or pitfalls.

Finally, stay away from IVD 2.0 shocks if you are thinking about it. Nothing but trouble. FYI - I don't wheel the truck that hard to need 2.5 or remote res. These failed with 99% road miles.

Please don't post "search for threads" or link to them...I've seen them all already. They've given me some ideas but I wanted a fresh thread to hash this out.

A J spring is going to give you way too much lift. I have ome 861s with a 1” spacer and it’s about a perfect 50mm lift. I have a spare tire/ single drawer inside the car and a pretty lightweight bumper.

Also, the initial rate on the icons are supposed to touch. It’s the same for any dual rate spring.

If the car feels wallowy, it’s a shock problem. If the valving is good, I shouldn’t really matter what the spring rate is because you springs should really just be holding up the car.

I think you’re on the right track with a linear rate spring/ airbag because it sounds like you’re you’re going to have weight in the back that fluctuates a lot if you’re going to but put a dual sport back there

A J spring is going to give you way too much lift. I have ome 861s with a 1” spacer and it’s about a perfect 50mm lift. I have a spare tire/ single drawer inside the car and a pretty lightweight bumper.

Also, the initial rate on the icons are supposed to touch. It’s the same for any dual rate spring.

If the car feels wallowy, it’s a shock problem. If the valving is good, I shouldn’t really matter what the spring rate is because you springs should really just be holding up the car.

I think you’re on the right track with a linear rate spring/ airbag because it sounds like you’re you’re going to have weight in the back that fluctuates a lot if you’re going to but put a dual sport back there
I really want to avoid spacers if I can. As far as the coils, they are out of coil bind on the upper coils on the TJM without a load, I've checked several times. It could be a shock issue (the icons have been nothing but trouble as I've said) but it feels different, like its kicking up on one side.

The freeheight on the TJM is the same as the J's (515-525) but I recognize that they collapse a lot more than a linear would.

I really want to avoid spacers if I can. As far as the coils, they are out of coil bind on the upper coils on the TJM without a load, I've checked several times. It could be a shock issue (the icons have been nothing but trouble as I've said) but it feels different, like its kicking up on one side.

The freeheight on the TJM is the same as the J's (515-525) but I recognize that they collapse a lot more than a linear would
Use springs spacers like a tools to get the ride height you want. What do you mean, out of coil bind? Like there’s space between the coils? I find it odd the Tjms have space between the coils when the initial rate is 145 vs the icons 220

And icons out of the box valving may just be uhhh…. Not good like the rest of the shock😂

And I had a set of j springs. It gave about 4” of lift.

Side note. If you haven’t read through this thread already, I really recommend it. It’s helped me a ton

I am not a suspension expert and could be misunderstanding here, but I'm a little confused by considering J springs when you don't want more than 50mm/2" lift, and don't want heavies. A J is a heavy, listed at 3.5" with designated load, and gives around 4.5" unloaded (I currently have that setup)

I am not a suspension expert and could be misunderstanding here, but I'm a little confused by considering J springs when you don't want more than 50mm/2" lift, and don't want heavies. A J is a heavy, listed at 3.5" with designated load, and gives around 4.5" unloaded (I currently have that setup)
Im probably me that is confused. Very likely. I saw the 515-525 freeheight of the springs and the 220 lb rate and assumed they were light and the same life as the 515-525 mm freeheight of my current springs. Its probably 860 that I am looking for.

Use springs spacers like a tools to get the ride height you want. What do you mean, out of coil bind? Like there’s space between the coils? I find it odd the Tjms have space between the coils when the initial rate is 145 vs the icons 220

And icons out of the box valving may just be uhhh…. Not good like the rest of the shock😂

And I had a set of j springs. It gave about 4” of lift.

Side note. If you haven’t read through this thread already, I really recommend it. It’s helped me a ton

So the coils are TJM, and yeah they aren't touching in the light rate. If I remember they say they are 170/220 lbs for the rears (they don't list them). The ICON shocks I have are actually custom valved...but they have screwed this up several times, so it wouldn't surprise me that the valving could also still be messed up. In any event, I think I need new springs as these are clearly (and visibly) lopsidded and they just can't handle any kind of load.

Im probably me that is confused. Very likely. I saw the 515-525 freeheight of the springs and the 220 lb rate and assumed they were light and the same life as the 515-525 mm freeheight of my current springs. Its probably 860 that I am looking for.
That makes sense. And yeah the 860 is the 2.5" medium. Eventually that's likely what I will go with to drop the lift a bit and get a less jarring ride in my empty truck. Carry on!

So the coils are TJM, and yeah they aren't touching in the light rate. If I remember they say they are 170/220 lbs for the rears (they don't list them). The ICON shocks I have are actually custom valved...but they have screwed this up several times, so it wouldn't surprise me that the valving could also still be messed up. In any event, I think I need new springs as these are clearly (and visibly) lopsidded and they just can't handle any kind of load.
Sorry I misunderstood which springs you had. I would recommend 866s for the rear springs at least. It may fit your needs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom