In the midst of doing front brakes and have a quick question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
I apologize in advance for this, should this have been in a previous thread. I did a quick search, and did not find anything.

I ordered some pads from Dan last week. I am in the middle of changing my front brakes. The FSM shows an anti-sqeal shim and inner anti-squeal shim between the rotor and the pad. My old pads seem to be aftermarket, as it looks like a small tack is holding a shim to the pads. weird. Anyway, I cannot get this off the old pad, and I am not sure I want to given the condition. I am thinking the OEM shims may have been tossed out for the aftermarket pads? Can I put the brake pad on without the shims, making it touch against the rotor directly? Or, should I call Dan up tomorrow and order the shims? This is my first time changing the 80's pads, so I want to ask the more experienced people what is the correct and safest option to go. If the latter, I will need to put the old pads back on, as my wife needs the car in the AM. They would last another couple of days.

Again, I apologize for not performing a full search- I normally do before I post a question. I just need to put the 80 back in service tonight.

Thanks.
-a

100 Series pads or 80?

When I installed the 100 Series pads, I did NOT install the shims -- wouldn't fit. I subsequently confirmed this is normal.

HTH

I guess that would help- I have 80 series pads.

I know from reading that the shims will not fit when putting on 100 series pads.

Don't worry. I believe the shims are just to reduce noise/squeal. Order up the correct parts from Dan. You can drive in the mean time on the new pads and you may find you have no need for the shims. You will find this is a simple job and so no big deal to do over again and add the shims.

Thanks for the fast answers/responses Hants and Cruiserdrew- I really appreciate.

I will order the shims from Dan tomorrow. Off to finish up the rig....

arcteryx said:
...The FSM shows an anti-sqeal shim and inner anti-squeal shim between the rotor and the pad.... I am thinking the OEM shims may have been tossed out for the aftermarket pads? Can I put the brake pad on without the shims, making it touch against the rotor directly?...-a
I think there is some major confusion here. Under no circumstances would shims ever be installed between the pads and the rotor.

Friendly well intentioned advice: As simple as this job is, one should really know what they are doing before working on the brake system, or have on site guidance from somebody who does.

I just saw that too. I hope that was a brain fart. The shims go between the pad's metal backing plate and the piston that pushes against it. Also, be sure you orient the wear indicators correctly - I think there's a diagram or note on the Toyota box as to whether they face forward or backward??

DougM

I think there is some major confusion here. Under no circumstances would shims ever be installed between the pads and the rotor.

Just checking to see if ya'll were paying attention!! :grinpimp:

Seriously, I meant and should have scribed 'between the caliper and the back of the pad.'

Doug, no diagram on the box in regards to which way the indicators go. I put them on the same way I took them off.

Thanks again for the help.

jason

Hants said:
100 Series pads or 80?

When I installed the 100 Series pads, I did NOT install the shims -- wouldn't fit. I subsequently confirmed this is normal.

HTH

Wish my brother had told me that when he told me to put the 100 series pads on. I fought and fought with them before I finally gave up and put it together without the shims. Mine do squeek a little bit. I figured a couple hundred miles will wear things in enough that I can come back and add the shims.

As long as we're on the topic, which order to the shims go in. There is a solid piece and the slotted piece, which one goes against the pad? I was assuming the slotted one, was I assuming correctly?

Heath

Knowing that the shims wouldn't fit with 100 series pads...I tried to squeeze them in anyhow. I managed to get 3 or the 4 sets in. One just wouldn't go. :D

I recall reading somewhere that the shims are just spacers and that they don't reduce noise at all...can anyone verify?

I think shims are overrated. I don't have any on the front or rear and I don't have any increased squealing. Compared to my Subaru these brakes are silent. Of course as others have stated the 100 series pads don't fit to well with the shims which is what I have in the front.

I talked to Dan this morning and asked about the shims being mandatory for 80 pads. He strongly suggested getting them. So, the shims are now ordered. Thanks Dan.

Also asked him about wear indicators being up or down. He said they go down. I had seen in other threads some folks asking about this. Hope this helps with them too.

jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom