In cab switch wiring questions

I am hoping to wire an in cab switch for my air compressor. I am hoping to have it "negative switched" meaning I will just run a ground wire through the firewall to the switch. I am planning on following these diagrams from Overland Bound. My question is, how would I wire this to my switch? Do I still need 12v power to it from inside the cab, or only if I want the switch LED to work? I am only doing one accessory, so instead of a fuse block I will just have an inline fuse between the battery and relay.

fuse1.jpg

fuse2.jpg

Switch3-790x1024.jpg

My second question is, can anyone tell me what wires I can tap into on a 100 series that are on the 'dash light circuit' for the LEDs on my switch?

Thanks!

I had some issues with the ch4x4 switches and had to exchange a few due to quality issues. I had a couple that just flat didn't work, with high resistance on the switched circuit. I had others that worked but the illumination was wrong (ex: one of the dual switches that should have been blue were half blue and half green). They were very responsive with exchanges.

If you do use these switches, I recommend you wire them to switch the positive side. I had issues on another install with switched ground, as the illumination for the switch closed position was dependent on the green wire being on +12v. The switch illumination wouldn't act right.

As for where to tap, on a 100 series I would look at the illumination on the cigarette lighter or one of the nearby switches. You won't have much slack in the wire so butt splices may not fit. In a tight spot like this, you can t-splice into the factory harness without cutting it using this technique:

Re-insulate it with liquid electrical tape.

I had some issues with the ch4x4 switches and had to exchange a few due to quality issues. I had a couple that just flat didn't work, with high resistance on the switched circuit. I had others that worked but the illumination was wrong (ex: one of the dual switches that should have been blue were half blue and half green). They were very responsive with exchanges.

If you do use these switches, I recommend you wire them to switch the positive side. I had issues on another install with switched ground, as the illumination for the switch closed position was dependent on the green wire being on +12v. The switch illumination wouldn't act right.

As for where to tap, on a 100 series I would look at the illumination on the cigarette lighter or one of the nearby switches. You won't have much slack in the wire so butt splices may not fit. In a tight spot like this, you can t-splice into the factory harness without cutting it using this technique:

Re-insulate it with liquid electrical tape.

Thanks for the info. I ended up switching the positive side. So far my switches have been working fine with the correct colors, though I couldn’t get the dash circuit lighting to work. I followed another 100 owners example, but it still didn’t work. I wonder if it is due to the switch and not my wiring now that I read your comments. Did you end up finding a switch you like better than CH4x4?

Thanks for the info. I ended up switching the positive side. So far my switches have been working fine with the correct colors, though I couldn’t get the dash circuit lighting to work. I followed another 100 owners example, but it still didn’t work. I wonder if it is due to the switch and not my wiring now that I read your comments. Did you end up finding a switch you like better than CH4x4?

Not that fits in factory spaces in the dash. You can get small airplane toggles and install them in a switch blank. Or I am considering repurposing Toyota factory switches and relabeling them (ex: fog light switches).

You can test your switch with a 12v battery and some test leads. That's what I did with my ch4x4 switches to find the bad ones in my batch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom