Impressive Product for Rust Removal (DEOX C) UK Brand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
I was watching some restoration videos on YouTube and came across this guys channel. He was mixing a crystalline white powder called DEOX C in a tub of water. It is non-toxic, biodegradable, etc. for soaking rusty parts in. I was very surprised when the jack parts came out looking as rust-free as they did. I would say best soaking results I have seen. This happens at about 4:35 into the video for you impatient folks.

Members from the UK........maybe you guys can get us a 40' container load sent across the pond :) We could use it here in the rust belt. I have tried to find a US equivalent comparison between DEOX C and US products but no luck yet.

Not to discredit the product, but that initial piece had quite a bit of pitting - and no amount of rust removal just automatically removes pitting. About 8:15 he starts spraying on a few coats of primer/filler and then about 8:45 does quite a bit of sanding. That's where the pitting disappears. But I agree, it does do a nice job of removing the rust itself.

I found this sheet on it: http://www.agriemach.com/image/data/pdf/Deox C Instructions.pdf

The MSDS only lists "INGREDIENTS NAME: PROPRIETARY BLEND OF ORGANIC MATERIALS" :http://www.ppcco.com.au/fact_sheets/msds/msds_deoxgel.pdf

Reading through some reviews of it, it seems to be mostly citric acid and detergents. People say it works better than straight citric acid, but the citric acid is (obviously) significantly cheaper.

I didn't watch the video, but I do know of a club sending a seacan over from the UK. I've noticed that the UK consumable products don't seem altogether different, just their branding. The quality of their services, however, do seem wildly different. Proper coating for a vehicle shell, random machining services seem more available there than here.

For rust removal I use a similar product as you describe, Evaporust. Available here in jugs and pails.

I blast first, then evaporust, then rinse with water and dry quickly. Final quick blasting to knock off flash surface rust, then POR-15.

I have a process here for pitted corroded steel.

I first cabinet blast it, apparantly removing all paint and corrosion, but perhaps not in the bottom of the pitted areas.

I then soak it in evaporust overnight, and rinse and dry next day. To remove surface flash rust, I cabinet blast lightly again. Clean steel.

I then apply either POR-15 or our Canadian DOM-16 directly to the blasted clean steel, and leave a few days to dry between coats.

Although the pitting remains there unsightly, I hope the corrosion has been addressed, and that my restored part will last as long as new painted will. This is of course the wrong fix for anything corroded that needs strength. It is more for a body bracket than a spring, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom