Importing a vehicle from Canada B.C. to the U.S. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here I'm just relating my experience buying a vehicle from Canada and bringing it back to the U.S. I know there are other threads on this, but figured I might as well add my experience to the mix.

Overall it was a pretty easy and painless process, it just took a long time. I did it all in one day... caught the 7:45am train out of Seattle, arrived in Vancouver at 11:45am. I was back in Seattle by 8pm, which included about 1.5 hrs caught in a huge traffic snarl caused by a wrecked semi.

Hope this is useful for somebody.

DOCUMENTS NEEDED:

1. A bill of sale (BOS) from the previous owner

Should probably include the date of sale, the names and addresses of the seller and buyer, the purchase price, the vehicle make, model, year, and VIN number. The BOS I had also stated that the seller had been paid in full.

2. The vehicle title

There's usually a place on back of the title for ownership transfers, and this must be filled out and signed by the previous owner

THE CANADA PART:

1. Get a temporary permit to drive in B.C.

If you're going to drive it back like I did, I was told to get a temporary permit. This might not be strictly necessary, but you apparently need insurance to drive in B.C., and the permit includes insurance. I got my permit for a single day, and it cost me $20. Liability and "own damage" coverage cost an additional $11.

You can get this permit from any AutoPlan broker. You can find AutoPlan office locations here:
http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/Pages/Default.aspx

My advice is to pick a broker, and then call them directly to verify their hours and location. I tried 3 times before I found an office that was where it was supposed to be. The first one had been relocated, the second one was a vacant lot. Three's a charm I guess. Luckily they were all within walking distance of the train station.

This step was easy, and only took about 20 minutes at the broker's office. My permit had a large part and a small part. I was told to display the large part in the rear window, and display the small part in the right front portion of the windshield.

If you're hauling the vehicle, not driving it, this step isn't necessary.

2. Get the vehicle to the border, either driving or trailering

I waited in line just like everyone else. When I finally got up to the booth I told the guy I was importing the vehicle to the U.S., and handed him my bill of sale, title, and identification (I used a passport card).

He Looked things over briefly, took a cursory peek at the truck, and asked if it'd been hard to find the vehicle. I said "not really". He then handed me back my documents along with a 3x5 colored car (actually he stuck the colored card to my windshield) and sent me to get a secondary inspection. I drove to a separate area, parked, and went into the building with my documents and colored card.

I waited in line again. There was a long line when I got there, about an hour wait.

3. Get to the front of the line and talk to the man

I handed the official looking dude the 3x5 colored card I was given at the booth, my bill of sale, title that was signed on the back by the previous owner, valid U.S. driver's license, and my identification (passport card in my case, but a passport would be fine).

The guy asked me where I lived even though it was on my ID, and asked if I'd ever lived in B.C. previously. I answered. He then told me to go sit down while they processed my paperwork. He took my keys.

I sat and waited for another hour, probably a little longer. During this time the guy tapped away his computer, went out to inspect the vehicle a few times, talked to a few other people, and tapped away at his computer some more.

FINALLY he called me back up to the counter. He showed me a piece of paper with my address and the vehicle information on it, and asked me to verify everything. He told me this paper was the declaration of import even though it was titled "Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Entry Summary". After I verified everything he gave me back my driver's license and keys, told me how much I'd have to pay, and told me to go wait until called by the cashier who was out on a coffee break.

4. Pay the man

The cashier arrived on an ankle scooter and called me up to the counter. I paid him, he gave me back my passport and title, stamped the declaration of import and gave that to me (you NEED to get this document). He then stamped my little 3x5 card and gave that back as well.

I drove off with my vehicle, handed my colored 3x5 card (with a stamp) to the guy at the exit booth who barely looked at it, and drove into the U.S. Done.

THE U.S. PART:

1. License in your state

Licensing locally was easy, at least here in Washington. I went to the licensing office and gave them the declaration of import, bill of sale, title, and my driver's license. I paid them some more, and they handed me back license plates, tabs, and registration (title coming via snail mail).

They kept the declaration of import and title, but I had them make copies for me. They gave me back the bill of sale, but made a copy that they kept themselves.

Once I got to the counter this probably took about 20 minutes.

2. Get insurance

I haven't done this yet, but it's the final step. I did talk to a Geico agent while I was shopping quotes, and they didn't blink at the VIN or vehicle model.

I sat and waited for another hour, probably a little longer. During this time the guy tapped away his computer, went out to inspect the vehicle a few times, talked to a few other people, and tapped away at his computer some more.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You wouldn't think ordering pizza would have required so many keystrokes. Perhaps the agent wanted a lot of toppings. : )

:) There WAS a lot of tapping going on...he didn't look like a Twitter or Facebook kinda guy... but he DID look like a pizza kinda guy.

Is yours rhd? I had a beast of a time getting mine insured due to the vin number. Something to do with a difference between the states and Canada when giving vin numbers. I'm currently with progressive and happy with my coverage. I'm not entirely sure what it is valued as other than Toyota land cruiser. But I have a minimum 5k+ for added mods (turbo etc).

Congrats!

Edit. Were you able to get tags and transfer of title without insurance? I had to show proof of insurance first.

Is yours rhd? I had a beast of a time getting mine insured due to the vin number. Something to do with a difference between the states and Canada when giving vin numbers. I'm currently with progressive and happy with my coverage. I'm not entirely sure what it is valued as other than Toyota land cruiser. But I have a minimum 5k+ for added mods (turbo etc).

Congrats!

Edit. Were you able to get tags and transfer of title without insurance? I had to show proof of insurance first.

Mine is RHD. No proof of insurance needed. Walked out of the licensing office with plates, tabs, and registration. Nobody even blinked. No proof of insurance mentioned or needed.

Mine is RHD. No proof of insurance needed. Walked out of the licensing office with plates, tabs, and registration. Nobody even blinked. No proof of insurance mentioned or needed.

My local tag office required State Farm to fax proof of insurance before they would issue a tag.

May be different by state. No proof needed here in WA, unless maybe I got a trainee.

Where are you guys located?

New Mexico requires proof of insurance before they will even talk to you.

I had a bit of fun getting mine done because it has a British Columbia assigned VIN. It came into BC with it's original 10 digit JDM VIN and BC changed it into an international 17 digit VIN. The net result is it reads like a vehicle that was manufactured in Canada.

Result: insurance company computer meltdown and blank stares from NM MVD drones..... :lol:

I think it's insured. At least I am paying for it.....:moon:

Luckily after 2008, they stopped requiring BC assigned Vins.

Our insurance and registration is all bundled together so yes you do have to pay for a temporary permit if you intend to drive the truck from BC to the US. If you get pulled over with no insurance, the ticket is $600 and your vehicle may be impounded.

Hope that helps!

I have seen a few Cruisers offered in Alberta and BC, I live in Virginia.
Has anyone used an importer as a middle-man?

Question on importation here: what was the import duty? I see that automobiles are 2.5% and "trucks" are 25% I am not sure if fj70's or 45s are then in the "truck" category?? If over 25 years do they still require the engines to meet emission standards (the gov. website is a little vague on that aspect) if there is no marking or paperwork with it?? I am thinking about importing some 45's in an ocean container. (left hand drive)

Last edited:
There is an EPA document that has a Check-off box that states the vehicle is more than 21 years old and has not been modified: it is therefore exempt.
There is a 2nd GOv't document about crash safety that has a box to check stating the vehicle is more than 25 years old.

Attachments

• EPA 3520-1[1].pdf
    140.9 KB · Views: 197
  • Form HS7-DOT.pdf
    45.6 KB · Views: 200
My story ......
When I bought my Australian RHD HJ45 Ute I went straight to my local DMV / tag office. The young lady typed the VIN into her computer and obviously nothing came up. She then looked out the window and saw the Cruiser and asked me if it was like a Jeep.
I reluctantly said yes. She then asked me if it was something I would use on a farm and I said yes because I wanted to be agreeable. She then came to the conclusion that my Cruiser was farm equipment, issued me a "cheap" license plate and I never looked back. Sometimes it's smart to agree with the local government. :)
Insurance has never been an issue on any of my RHD vehicles.

There is an EPA document that has a Check-off box that states the vehicle is more than 21 years old and has not been modified: it is therefore exempt.
There is a 2nd GOv't document about crash safety that has a box to check stating the vehicle is more than 25 years old.

so even if there is emissions standards in place that are older than 21 years they can be ignored if the vehicle is over 21 years? The gov. website mentions early standards which is confusing as to whether there are NO STANDARDS (if over 21 years) or if the only standard would be ones that were existing before 21 years? (if you understand the question)....

What is the import duty or additional fees that need to be paid if bringing one down from Canada?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom