Imported Chinese Rooftop Tents? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had anyone worked with TORUK to order their hard shell RTT? I am interested in their larger 4 person model.

Anders, if you are still checking this I have a few questions for you. What incoterm did you use? Did you have your own freight forwarder or did Unistrength arrange all the shipping stuff for you? Why did you have to pay a customs bond? It is my understanding that is only necessary if the imported amount is >$2500.

Anders, if you are still checking this I have a few questions for you. What incoterm did you use? Did you have your own freight forwarder or did Unistrength arrange all the shipping stuff for you? Why did you have to pay a customs bond? It is my understanding that is only necessary if the imported amount is >$2500.
My tent from unistrengh 🤣 (sp) was only $1650 total with paying the customs broker.
when the tent arrives in port you have to deal with customs. The customs broker I googled was in California but cleared my tent in New Orleans for less than $200. It took a day and I was emailed the paperwork to go pick up my tent. It seems like a daunting task but it all just works itself out. Don’t stress too much.

I am in California and can pick up in the entry port, which I suspect will be Long Beach. I wonder if I actually need a customs broker... So, same questions for you, then... :) Thanks!

I am in California and can pick up in the entry port, which I suspect will be Long Beach. I wonder if I actually need a customs broker... So, same questions for you, then... :) Thanks!
You may not , just talk to the guy that calls you and tells you your tent is there. You will figure it out. I seem to remember looking at the paperwork and saying **** it. It’s worth $160 to have someone do it. My tent was great. I saved my American dollars. I would do it again.

There is nothing to be afraid of. After you do it you realize it’s not scary. I was nervous, but it all works out. The unistrengh people are nice too.

Thank you. What incoterm did you use? Did you have your own freight forwarder or did Unistrength arrange all the shipping stuff for you? How much was the shipping?

Thank you. What incoterm did you use? Did you have your own freight forwarder or did Unistrength arrange all the shipping stuff for you? How much was the shipping?
I don’t know wtf a incoterm is.
so. 1.5 months after I paid unistrengh.
I don’t remember how much. It was 3 years ago. Maybe $300 shipping.
someone in New Jersey said your package is here
It’s going to be $125 to truck it to New Orleans. Ok I paid them, it was a surprise , I thought my tent was going straight to New Orleans. A week later a warehouse in New Orleans called me and gave me instructions about customs. In total my $950 tent cost me $1600 or $1650. Still less than $2800
Just know it will all work out.
im going to sleep but I can answe more tomorrow

Amazon and ebay have hard shell RTTs for about that price delivered, some a little less. I ordered mine on amazon and it was to my door in a little less than a week. 1200USD total.

Hahaha. Incoterm is the name of the transaction you did with the Chinese manufacturer, such as EXW, CIF, FOB, etc. When they quote you a price they would say something like $700 FOB Shanghai, which means that for $700 they are responsible for getting the product onto the ship at the port of Shanghai. If they said $700 EXW Donguan then you are responsible for picking it up from their facility in Donguan.

clx16, I suppose you may find an inexpensive hardshell on Amazon. I think Costco had one too. But they are ABS shells, which have some issues. This may be suitable, though.

@Leirbag When I researched CVT and Tapui last year i found specs for both saying they used ABS for the hardshells. CVT had something about a UV resistant coating. Now CVT says nothing and Tapui only mentions the lower portion HyBox . I found that Mostaliner has way better UV resistance than a lot of other materials so I got mine off amazon and put some mostaliner on it. Still cheaper and I have no quality issues with the one i have had. Its has been over 2000 miles, heavy storms and cold. However I don't leave mine up when i am not using it so I probably didn't need the mostaliner anyway since it is stored in my garage when not in use hanging from up above. Be advised that you will need to use adhesive promotor if you are the kind of person who follows the directions.

Amazon and ebay have hard shell RTTs for about that price delivered, some a little less. I ordered mine on amazon and it was to my door in a little less than a week. 1200USD total.
Yes I saw some unistrengh on their too
@Leirbag When I researched CVT and Tapui last year i found specs for both saying they used ABS for the hardshells. CVT had something about a UV resistant coating. Now CVT says nothing and Tapui only mentions the lower portion HyBox . I found that Mostaliner has way better UV resistance than a lot of other materials so I got mine off amazon and put some mostaliner on it. Still cheaper and I have no quality issues with the one i have had. Its has been over 2000 miles, heavy storms and cold. However I don't leave mine up when i am not using it so I probably didn't need the mostaliner anyway since it is stored in my garage when not in use hanging from up above. Be advised that you will need to use adhesive promotor if you are the kind of person who follows the directions.
mine was a giant queen size fiberglass

E6617B55-8757-44D1-937E-BC439A28721B.jpeg

i do wish the cams on the straps would have had a plastic or silicone cover. I know i can add those later. @Dwight Marshall that thing is MASSIVE ha. I like the added insurance you strapped over the middle.

i do wish the cams on the straps would have had a plastic or silicone cover. I know i can add those later. @Dwight Marshall that thing is MASSIVE ha. I like the added insurance you strapped over the middle.
Yes we drove 7000 miles. The winds in New Mexico were so strong in our face. The tent felt like it was doing 100mph. It wanted to creep open. I would never drive with a hardshelll now without an extra strap

I would never drive with a hardshelll now without an extra strap
yeah I hit some crazy wind in Oklahoma that was strong enough coming upward that i could feel the vehicle pulling up drastically in the front. was quick gusts but still figured there is no need to put the tent through that when i have extra straps which weren't in use anyway.

I'm on the fence really wanting to get this one:
It has 360 deg. view & a roof rack
The only one I could find in the states similar is the Roofnest Sandpiper & looks like it's not listed on their website anymore. The James Baroud Explorer has the views, but no rack.

I'm on the fence really wanting to get this one:
It has 360 deg. view & a roof rack
The only one I could find in the states similar is the Roofnest Sandpiper & looks like it's not listed on their website anymore. The James Baroud Explorer has the views, but no rack.
I think the CVT St. Helens has a rack based on the Specs stating a cargo capacity of 400lbs when closed and 110 when open. It also looks their Black Max has a rack as well. Doesn't show in pictures but it does talk about it in their spec sheet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom