Import and Logistics Provider Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

I'd like to import a 70 series from Western Europe and I am wondering if anyone has personal experience (positive or negative) and recommendations with any import and logistics providers. I am aware of Dividing Creek Imports and have a quote request out with them. Are there other companies you know of that can handle US entry paperwork, shipping, customs...etc.

This concerns a vehicle that is older than 25 years, by the way.

Thanks and all my best,

DekraDTM

Assuming you have the exporter already chosen, I would recommend contacting the port you want to bring it in through and ask who they recommend on the import side. I called around quite a bit for mine but didn’t really feel confident until I spoke with a broker who was recommended by the port (of Baltimore, in my case). I ended up using a broker to complete the bond requirement, but then did the “importing” myself, which any private citizen can do if the vehicle is for personal use and you have a day to spend on the process. My quotes were between $400 and $700 from companies that offered to do the entire process for me and I ended up instead paying just $80 for the bond. Ensure that the exporter is squared away as the paperwork from that side can make or break the import and registration process.

I don't have an exporter chosen and I am unsure specifically which paperwork must be squared away. I am aware of the HS-7 and 3520-1. What other paperwork is essential that needs to be filled out by the exporter?

The process on the export side depends on who/where you buy the vehicle from. The country where the vehicle was registered may require a “de-registration” prior to allowing it to be exported. Then it has to be prepped for shipment usually involving running the gas down to a quarter tank, lightly cleaning the inside/outside, and anything else that local law requires. Then the vehicle is handed off to the shipper. Bill of lading forms are then passed to the exporter who either passes them to you directly or through the company you bought the vehicle from.

From the exporter you’ll need the original bills of lading, bill of sale or something showing the purchase price, and the previous foreign vehicle title or equivalent form in your hands (or your importers hands) prior to trying to clear the vehicle through us customs. The us forms can be completed at CBP when you clear the vehicle if you are importing yourself. You’ll pay a 2.5% tax based on the bill of sale price to CBP at the office and will need a check or cash.

I ended up paying for what is called Import Security Filing (ISF). It’s a requirement levied by CBP that involves a notification to CBP that you are expecting the goods to arrive at the port. This may or may not be a requirement for private importers. I spent $80 through a broker to have it filed just in case. This has to be done before the vessel departs the foreign country. Again, your mileage (and CBP enforcement) may vary.

The process on the export side depends on who/where you buy the vehicle from. The country where the vehicle was registered may require a “de-registration” prior to allowing it to be exported. Then it has to be prepped for shipment usually involving running the gas down to a quarter tank, lightly cleaning the inside/outside, and anything else that local law requires. Then the vehicle is handed off to the shipper. Bill of lading forms are then passed to the exporter who either passes them to you directly or through the company you bought the vehicle from.

From the exporter you’ll need the original bills of lading, bill of sale or something showing the purchase price, and the previous foreign vehicle title or equivalent form in your hands (or your importers hands) prior to trying to clear the vehicle through us customs. The us forms can be completed at CBP when you clear the vehicle if you are importing yourself. You’ll pay a 2.5% tax based on the bill of sale price to CBP at the office and will need a check or cash.

I ended up paying for what is called Import Security Filing (ISF). It’s a requirement levied by CBP that involves a notification to CBP that you are expecting the goods to arrive at the port. This may or may not be a requirement for private importers. I spent $80 through a broker to have it filed just in case. This has to be done before the vessel departs the foreign country. Again, your mileage (and CBP enforcement) may vary.

Ya and failure to provide the ISF before your container leaves the port in county of origin can result in a $5000 fine in the USA.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom