Update: 5W-30 & Heavier Recommended RoTW (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just my 2cents.
I have a 200 4.7 V8 2UZ-FE gasoline engine european version ( i live in Italy), my toyota owner manual says preferred oil 5W-30 API SL or SM .
Other oils according my owner manual are 20W-50, 15W-40, 10W-30.

€0.85 ;)

Have you tried different weights while monitoring the kpl? Curious of your findings.

€ 0,85 ;)

Hai provato pesi diversi durante il monitoraggio del kpl? Curioso delle tue scoperte.
No, i just bought the used LC200 and i plan to replace oils and filters , the 5w-30 is preferred oil according the manual. I was curious about your discussion in USA, and about the differences, also the oil filter is different. I have the usual cartridge filter and not your paper filter.

No, i just bought the used LC200 and i plan to replace oils and filters , the 5w-30 is preferred oil according the manual. I was curious about your discussion in USA, and about the differences, also the oil filter is different. I have the usual cartridge filter and not your paper filter.
Chiaramente non so parlare italiano. Un'altra cosa che non riesco a capire è il motivo per cui Toyota non lotta più duramente per consentire la vendita di diversi modelli di land cruiser negli Stati Uniti.

Alright so help an oil idiot out - in hot Florida is Amsoil 0w-30 a safe bet, any reason to go 5w-30?

Alright so help an oil idiot out - in hot Florida is Amsoil 0w-30 a safe bet, any reason to go 5w-30?
Call Amsoil and see what they recommend.

If it were me, I'd go with a heavy weight at least from May-Oct depending where you are in FL. South Florida has two seasons: hot and %&!#.

thanks!

If I look at recommendations from Castrol and Penrite for the 3UR-FE here in Oz, Castrol suggests 2 options for a 5W30 and 1 for a 10W30, and Penrite suggests 3 5W30 options and 1 5W40 option. I wouldn't be running an 0Wsomething in anything other than operated in extreme cold.

If I look at recommendations from Castrol and Penrite for the 3UR-FE here in Oz, Castrol suggests 2 options for a 5W30 and 1 for a 10W30, and Penrite suggests 3 5W30 options and 1 5W40 option. I wouldn't be running an 0Wsomething in anything other than operated in extreme cold.
Do you mostly run 5w30 in your petrol 5.7?

Do you mostly run 5w30 in your petrol 5.7?
I don't own a petrol land cruiser, just thought it might be of interest to members to see what's recommended this side of the pond

Just my 2cents.
I have a 200 4.7 V8 2UZ-FE gasoline engine european version ( i live in Italy), my toyota owner manual says preferred oil 5W-30 API SL or SM .
Other oils according my owner manual are 20W-50, 15W-40, 10W-30.

Just to be clear, this thread was initially discussing 3UR-FE engine (5.7 L). I would be uncomfortable applying an oil recommendation from one engine family (2UZ-FE) to another engine family (3UR-FE).

Just to be clear, this thread was initially discussing 3UR-FE engine (5.7 L). I would be uncomfortable applying an oil recommendation from one engine family (2UZ-FE) to another engine family (3UR-FE).
Meh. As @bjowett has pointed out. Main bearing clearances on UZ and UR families has been essentially unchanged. In fact, the 1UZ has the tightest tolerances of them all and is the oldest.

Meh. As @bjowett has pointed out. Main bearing clearances on UZ and UR families has been essentially unchanged. In fact, the 1UZ has the tightest tolerances of them all and is the oldest.
....and that is the only criterion in determining an oil specification?

My LX450 specified 10W30. My LX470 specified 5W30. My LX570 specifies 0W20.

....and that is the only criterion in determining an oil specification?

My LX450 specified 10W30. My LX470 specified 5W30. My LX570 specifies 0W20.
Yes. Certainly a huge part. As I said in the original post, the EPA mandates the oil used in efficiency testing is stamped on fill port and printed in manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom