Im not expecting smooth, but... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 78 40 bounces like nothing I've experienced before. And even on seemingly smooth pavement, its up and down up and down. After driving down the street I feel like I have spinal injuries. Could this just be worn out shocks? I don't know how old they are, they're OME's.

You might take a look at your shackles and springs. If your shackles and pins are rusted, the spring won't have as much play. Could also be shocks.

I have a similar problem and will install a lift kit with new shocks next month.

ken

I would need a better description to let you know my opinion, but if it's rough riding, as if it had no suspension, then your springs are frozen, or something is binding. Worn shocks would allow the truck to bounce continuously after each bump, not controlling the rebound. Or possibly, the shocks are way too long for your application, and are bottoming out. Try removing your shocks, and cruise around for a few hours. That will tell you alot.

Stocks springs, no binding, shocks dont appear to be leaking or binding, or even bottoming out. Like one of the replies mentioned, I hit a big bump or rut and the bounce just keeps going..

If you jump on the front bumper and the body bounce is not arrested immediately your shocks are not functioning. I replaced old OEM shocks on my '78 40 with new Old Man Emu and the ride was improved a lot, it took the corners a lot better as well.

Hey Deck,
Has your cruiser sat for a long time? My ride gets better the more I drive it. But I also get underneath it and spray PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench, anything thin and greasy on the spring packs and the shackles/bushings. There is nothing but rust between the leaves. Mine also rides a lot smoother with the additional weight of the top, worse topless.
Oh, yeah, don't do this in your own driveway, go to a gravel area or a parking lot. It leaves a lot of doogey on the driveway, guaranteed to piss off the wife!
GL
Ed :)

Its worth it to make sure those shackles are moving when they should. They can freeze up, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom