Ih8mud Tucson Trail Run 12/18: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let's have a little pre-Christmas fun and blow off one shopping day for 4-wheeling instead? Some people on the site were commenting about a Tucson get together. Well, let's get together....out on the trail?

RUN: Lopez Pass and Sycamore Canyon Loop in the Santa Rita Mountains
WHEN: Sat, 12/18
MEETING PLACE: Mcdonalds on the South side of Irvington Road just west of I-19 (a few miles south of the I-10 !-19 junction).
MEETING TIME: 9:30 (give those Phoenicians some time to come down)
DIFFICULTY: 3.0+ (there are a few tricky spots)

This trail starts off in the town of Sahuarita. The road climbs the Santa Rita Mountains past old mining areas before toping out at over 5000-feet on Lopez Pass. From there we'll make a group decision.
1. Head down into Sycamore Canyon. It's pretty scenic here as the road loops the canyon and winds up back in Sahuarita. There's a few tricky spots in this area.
2. Head down into the Santa Rita OHV area and wind around trails there. Very scenic too, though a bit more driving for the Phoenicians. Tricky spots are a planty here too.

Either way, there lots of fun to be had in this area. So, come on out! It'll be a great day for Becky and myself. I'll drive the 100 and Becky will drive the 80. Tag Team cruisin'!

You're on.
I in my 60 and Yashica in her 80.
Any place to camp in/near the area?

Hi Shotts
I'd love to meet you and do it, but our daughter will be coming in from Boston, so the date is bad for me. Maybee some other time. Have fun, I've made that run from the Hy. 83, or east to west direction, and the west end of sycamore canyon is rough, to say the least. Good riding, Earl

hj60 said:
You're on.
I in my 60 and Yashica in her 80.
Any place to camp in/near the area?

Awesome. Glad you're coming. And yes to the camping. There's some REALLY nice spots in the Santa Rita OHV area. Rolling hills and very scenic views. You'll like it a lot. J

hey ill be home then i might drive down from prescott in the lx but i would prob camp.
Just curious how tricky would you say these tricky spots are?

thanks
mike

No lockers needed "tricky". A rear locker will help on the last climb to the Pass and up a steep section in the Canyon. There's also that one off-cambered spot in a wash (above pic). Any Cruiser should be right at home on this run. Scenic, some challenges, though laid back.

I hope we get alot of people for this run. Sounds great John!

John sounds like a fun run. A couple of questions; how long is the run (time & distance), do we need to plan to stay over night, where will we end up at the end of the day and with an elevation of 5000' can we expect snow?

Thanks

yes same questions as phil I have to go to a party that night in phx to it looks like i wont be able to camp. although i might bring the girl friend along for a day trip.
when were you planning on leaving in the morning as well?

thanks
mike

LandCruiserPhil said:
John sounds like a fun run. A couple of questions; how long is the run (time & distance), do we need to plan to stay over night, where will we end up at the end of the day and with an elevation of 5000' can we expect snow?

Thanks

Yez, it would have helped if I mentioned that? :confused:

The trip from Sahuarita up thourgh Helvetia (ghost town) and Lopez Pass (5640 ft) is about 1.5 hours (MAX). From there, we'll do the Sycamore Canyon Loop (from Lopez Pass back to Helvetia) and it should take about 2 hours depending on our pace. Figure in some down time and the trip back to Sahuarita (about 45-minutes from Helvetia) and I'd guess a total of 4-5 hours MAX. Return trip to Phoenix in a day should be cake. Campers can camp higher on a ridge or lower in a wash. There's all kinds of spots. Forecast right now is 65 degrees, clear. No snow coming. (!!!) (SEE YA!)

lx450landcruiser said:
yes same questions as phil I have to go to a party that night in phx to it looks like i wont be able to camp. although i might bring the girl friend along for a day trip.
when were you planning on leaving in the morning as well?

thanks
mike

We've ran this trip in under 3-hours by oursleves but we were movin'. Being in a group we'll be a bit slower. I'd plan on your Phoenix party. I'll pace the run with this in mind. We live in Tucson so we have a short drive this time. :) Glad you're coming!

(Oh, and Mike......get a more powerful subwoofer in your 80 :D )

more power you say hmmm i just might dont temt me. I will try and make ill be in Phx on the 17th at night so ill just stay the night down there i have to do some stuff in the morning so i may not be able to make this but i will try as hard as i can.

thanks
mike

Now for the important question, will this trail put us in the right part of town for that killer Mexican food restaurant? Got to have post trail refreshments!

I spent half the day Saturday treating the leather and all today polishing the paint, it's trail ready, shines like a new penny! So, how is the brush on this trail?

If we need to hurry up so Phil can get home to polish his bling, we could cut the picture taking down to the memorable ones. You know, like the one where Becky is blowing by you on the manly side of the trail, while you are working that mall cruiser up the bypass. Or the one where Yashica is giving Jonathan the strap! :D

Mike, if your going to be in town on Friday, the Sonic meet is 7:00pm till whenever.

'Tis the season, here are some classic carols that get me in the spirit;

http://www.kerman94.com/Xmas-WhiteTrash.HTM

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/burgerking.php

what sonic is it again? i have to be at sky harbor to pick up the girl driend at 9:30 but if i could swing it i will deff be there. also how late did that last few go? worth going then leaving and coming back? or will it all be done by then? also i need to find out if desertdude will be there he wants my roof rack for the 40

Tools R Us said:
Now for the important question, will this trail put us in the right part of town for that killer Mexican food restaurant? Got to have post trail refreshments!

***Mi Nidito? 29th and 6th? Be RIGHT by there after the run....though the wait is longggggg.***

If we need to hurry up so Phil can get home to polish his bling, we could cut the picture taking down to the memorable ones. You know, like the one where Becky is blowing by you on the manly side of the trail, while you are working that mall cruiser up the bypass.

***OOOO, THAT HURT'S! I began crying when I read that until I realized Becky couldn't catch me in the 80, especially UPhill. :) Reality is the 100 might be down this weekend. Slee shipped my rear bumper and it's going on. Needs painting, new springs, shocks, fluids, and on, and on. It's getting a big maintenace package so my mechanic should have it for some time.***

***Brush? Very little. A few small spots in the Canyon but that's it.***

See ya all!

Mi Nidito? 29th and 6th? Be RIGHT by there after the run....though the wait is longggggg

Bummer, do they take reservations?

Slee shipped my rear bumper and it's going on.

Cool, a new ARB or one of his?

Brush? Very little. A few small spots in the Canyon but that's it.

Bummer, the truck is looking a little naked without the AZ pinstripe, maybe I will just rub up against a creosote for effect! :D

Nope

His....you know me....off-roader. The ARB is HUGE.

You want striping? Let me drive your truck Saturday for 2 minutes?

Nope His....you know me....off-roader. The ARB is HUGE.

Agreed, I hate the ARB POS on the front of mine. I keep trying to carve it down to size on rocks. Never seen the Slee 100 bumper, but the 80 one is dam nice.

You want striping? Let me drive your truck Saturday for 2 minutes?

You will even install them for me? :D

REAR bumper. The ARB REAR bumper is massive. Looks awesome but it won't help down-size the 100. Slee's will and I can't wait!
My front ARB is OK. Looks good, though I too am afraid of wrecking it. At least my 80 bumpers wreck the rocks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom