ih8mud inspired build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have spent many pleasant, informative and inspiring hours reading about the various builds on this forum.

I live on a game farm a few kilometres from the Kruger National Park in South Africa and in February I bought a HJ45 sight unseen over the internet from a person in Johannesburg. Advertised as being in good condition and had just passed a roadworthy test... so little could be wrong with it. And all I wanted to do was to take the top off it and turn it into an open game viewing vehicle. I bought it - just like that. Mistake.

To cut a long story short, it was not nearly what it was made out to be. The transfer case only just made the 600km trip home, the engine which "just smokes a bit on start up", spewed a long blue cloud of smoke and ate up 10 litres of oil on the trip. Brakes were all but non existent (later found the right rear did not even have any brake parts in it) which made for some interesting moments especially coming down the mountain passes as the transfer box only engaged when under load and "disconnected" as soon as I took my foot off the juice. (It works fine in low range.) The lights did not work, the windscreen wipers did not work. I had bought a lemon, and the PO had obviously bought a roadworthy certificate!!!

I parked it in the car port and "walked around" it for a couple of months trying to decide what to do. Slowly but surely it grew on me. Sitting there it exuded Old, Ugly, Mean, Worn-out-by-a-hard-life but still Tough-as-hell. The epitome of an old lone Cape Buffalo, colloquially called "Dagha Boys" by hunters, (Dagha = Swahili for mud.) for their habit of lying in the mud at watering holes.

I decided the old guy needed a second chance and stripped it down. I started searching the internet for parts, which is how I came across ih8mud. I started reading the build threads, and given that almost everything on this beast is shot and has to be fixed or replaced, I was sufficiently inspired to decide on a complete rebuild, rather than just a fix-up.

The Dagha Boy as bought.

LC06.jpg
LC06.jpg

The last few months have been a steep learning curve, not so much about the vehicle, but how difficult it is to do something like this in the bush. The nearest town of any note is more than two hours away. I can't even get paint supplies in our local village.

I will persevere and keep this thread going for those who may be interested in the resurrection of the Dagha Boy in African style.

Once again many thanks to those incredible guys on ih8mud who have inspired me to tackle this one.

Your conditions sound similar to mine--the nearest town of note is 2+ hours away and the nearest town likely to have anything I might want is more like 4 hours away. Although I am using local relationships to try to find as many parts out int he bush as possible, ultimately a lot of the parts I need will have to come from Australia or the US.

Hi JungleBiker. Sounds like you're worse off than me by far. That boosts my confidence. The 45s were very popular here and spares not too difficult to find, except for body parts and trim. (Rust is the big enemy.) Internet seems to be a good option for spares. In SA we do not really have spares on internet and our postal service doesn't really work well, so one has to find a supplier and then physically go there. There are also few old-timers left who know the vehicles well, so phoning doesn't work all that well, either. Good but expensive source of 2nd hand parts just 2 hrs away.

Today I have run out of thinners and sandpaper which means a 70km round trip and about 2hrs - always hoping they have stock in the store.

Hi Dacha
Welcome to mud.
Don't know what words to write to inspire you but I do know when you own a 40 series in good condition the Driving Experience is shear pleasure.
I'm only guessing we're you live you have your fair share of dirt roads .
Sounds like this could be 40 country get it built and enjoy.
Keep the posts coming.
You will get truckloads of support from this site.
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Land Cruisers out of Johannesburg were CKD's ... starting in the early 1960's toyota was shipping CKD kits to south africa ... that is Complete Knock Down kits... these are parts boxed up and sent to africa for assembly... From what I have read and understand the SA assemblies were 1/2 par with assembly issues and inner company problems (corruption) ...the truck beds are unique to the area...

a bit more info for your neck of the woods :)

1958 February Exports to Angola commenced with eight Land Cruisers

1959 June Exports to the Republic of South Africa commenced with one Land Cruiser

1961 January Business with Toyota commenced; 10 Stout units exported and sold

06/1962 South African comp. to start producing motor assemblies (Present day: Toyota South Africa Manufacturing Company Toyota South Africa | Home of the Toyota Corolla, Hilux Bakkie, 4x4 Land Cruiser and many more of SA's favourite vehicles - Toyota South Africa )

Land Cruiser assembly in Kenya began in 1977

1980 KD agreement entered into with WMI in Zimbabwe (production commenced in May 1981 and discontinued in November 1991)

1981 May Land Cruiser assembly commenced by Willowvale Motor Industries (WMI) in Zimbabwe

2001 February Toyota Tsusho distributors established in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, and Angola (wholly-owned by Toyota Tsusho Corporation).

BTW welcome to MUD :)

you need to flip the bezel 180deg :)

Hi Bambi Girl

Thanks. I owned a HJ47 before and loved it, but the rust got it as I left it standing outside for 2 years and it literally rotted away. SA is indeed 40 country. We're about the same size as Texas, have about 1 million km of roads in total and only 160 000km surfaced roads. In my own case, to go to town, we have only 2 track (private) roads here in the bush and then onto unsurfaced public roads which are a nightmare of corrugations, wash-aways and boulders, and then potholed tar. We have to have 4x4, for ground clearance if nothing else. Every trip is an adventure. I love it. I'm hoping to be done by December....

Hi JohnnyC,

Thanks for that info. I've read many of your comments in the past and always enjoyed them.

Something that may interest you and is somewhat in conflict with your above. The first Toyota vehicles (pick-ups) assembled in SA were in the early sixties and were assembled in a town called East London, where I grew up. They were assembled by a set up called Car Distributors and Assemblers (CDA) Biggest industry in town and everything revolved around them. At one time or another, they assembled Studebaker, Auto Union and Mercedes Benz, in the case of the latter, cars and trucks. Today they are Mercedes Benz South Africa and manufacture a range of Mercs, cars and trucks. If you have a look at the build label of a C series Merc in the States you will see that it was built here.

Getting back to the CDA Toyota's, they were called "Prince" ugly as sin with stacked dual headlights on an inward slant. Spartan and uncomfortable. We were used to F100s and C10s but there were grumblings of sanctions at the time and a clever businessman did the deal with Toyota.

After the Prince came the Stout and at that time assembly moved to Durban on the East Coast. I much bigger city. At that point more and more local content was included and the shift was made from assembly to actual manufacture. By the time we lost our American trucks to sanctions Toyota was well established and the Hi-Lux (I think you call it a Tundra) was in production and of course the FJ and HJ45 and then later the HJ47.

In the 70s the 40 series was so popular that the factory could not keep up. As a student at the time I had a vacation job with a company called Motorvia which transported vehicles from the manufacturing plants to the dealerships. Toyota and Volkswagen were major accounts. That was when I first came into contact with Land Cruisers and drove them for many thousands of kilometres on delivery trips. In those days all vehicles were delivered in road convoys, excepting for Mercedes and British Leyland. The former simply because they were fussy and the latter - Jaguar, Austin and Land Rover - because their build quality was so bad and the vehicles so unreliable they had to be trucked.

I don't think corruption had much to do with Toyota SA's early problems, but rather over hasty assembly and poor QC. I can see this from disassembling mine. It is quite clear that the bodies were assembled and then only painted, so everywhere a spray gun could not reach on an assembled body was left raw. I remember at one point delivering new vehicles without tool kits and spare wheels. Perhaps a result of high demand. Build quality certainly did suffer.

I can confirm the load beds are like no others. Also very poorly built and good ones are hard to find. Mine is a beauty with just a few minor dings and very little rust. Nice thick steel so even I can manage to weld on it.

I take it you mean the headlight bezel... Thanks! I didn't notice that and will watch myself when I reassemble.

Everything is in pieces at the moment. Tomorrow I will final coat the chassis frame and then the reassembly can start.

I'll keep posting photos as I go so that you experienced guys can do QC from that side.

One more thing about 70's motoring in SA... Jeep was in for about 5 years (73-78 I think) with CJ5,6 and 7 CKDs assembled by Volkswagen South Africa.

This was what I'm aiming to do with mine. (This one was for sale for about USD $ 11 500 about a month ago.)
4 june 2016 R 160k.jpg

Can you source those dunlop roadtrack majors and send them to the states! A lot of us need those for our restorations!! Welcome to mud!

Thanks Whitey, that's a beast you've got there. Good old 7.50 x 16 14ply still the only thing to run here in the bush. We have serious thorns and you wouldn't go a mile with nice fat radial plies. You can tell a real working Cruiser by the tyres. I need to buy 5 as mine has city tyres on. Expensive...

thank you for the added information... the information above is from Mr.T (toyota) however.... historical information they do lack being 100% correct at times

the info for Thiess just below on then webpage I linked to in this post ... I know is also not correct... I have emailed about it.... they don't care LOL

But.... we do :meh:

here is a good area for info:
TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION GLOBAL WEBSITE | 75 Years of TOYOTA | Part2 Chapter1 Section5 | Item 3. The Advance of Knockdown Exports

a pic from 1962 they call from the assembly in SA:
l02_01_05_03_img01.jpg

I love the story behind the story too, but I think a lot of it is written by people who weren't around at the time and that causes the inaccuracies. Speaking of inaccuracy I think the Hi-Lux is not a Tundra as I said but a Tecoma...? A smaller vehicle. The Hi Lux has dominated our pickup market for decades but is now getting out sold by the new Ford Ranger - a model I believe you will not be getting in the US but which is taking the rest of the world by storm by all accounts. I wonder why the US is not getting it? Could it be that they're scared it will harm F series sales?

The picture is of a Stout as you probably know. The Prince had its dual head lights at an angle and sort of fared into the fender top. Must be pre 1960. Sort of Chev Apache-ish?
642_zpscc150bd2.jpg

This one serves as a "door" to the men's toilet in a pub in southern Namibia.

Just looking at the photo you posted, it is not a Toyota, but a Toyopet (See grille lettering) I had forgotten about those. They were badged Toyopet Stouts for a year or two and only later Toyota Stouts

No problem. I'm keeping a complete photographic record and have it available. Maybe somebody else finds it of help. Here it is.
Aluminium plate held by 2 screws to the firewall in the engine bay. Left hand side. (PO had a bolt going to nowhere and doing nothing through the top. Damn!)
IMG_2937.JPG

The frame no matches as stamped on frame just in front of right hand front wheel. (The frame was upside down when photo taken.)

IMG_2939.JPG

The engine has apparently been changed and does not match. (Left rear of engine behind crank case vent pipe.) (Vents straight down and out)
IMG_2907.JPG

I have not been able to find a frame no stamping on the body tub, but did find a number stamped on the back of the loadbed, just to the left of the right tail light. Seems to be the same script type as the frame stamping but is a different number series entirely. A wild guess is that it is a stamping from the guys who made the load bed and that it may denote year 77? and load bed no 543...?? (Loadbed was also upside down.)

IMG_2904.JPG

Another memory from my convoy days... For Toyotas the "job no." was all imortant and everything revolved around that, whereas with all other manufacturers we worked on frame numbers - that was before vin numbers. Looooooooooon

Welkom! And nice to see the truck going to a good home, funny how we give these things names and adopt them into our families :).... Sounds like you've got a bit of experience and contacts, you've no doubt seen a few Saffa's on here, I'm in Australia and happy to help out with finding parts if you get stuck.... Looking forward to seeing the Buffalo getting polished up :clap:

Cheers
Gary

Ja, Baas! Dankie, Baas!

Hopefully I'll be a better owner for this one than the last one. I still can't believe I let it sit in Plett and just rot away.

I do have some experience, but I'm actually a Jeep fanatic and have rebuilt a few CJs over the years. Most difficult thing being in the bush is that all my old go-to-guys are 1800km away and I haven't built up good contacts here yet besides a hydraulics guy and an electronics/auto elec guy. Both ex Hoedspruit Air Force Base and do brilliant work.

I'm trying to do this thing on a "budget." I did not intend such an extensive rebuild, but because there was so much wrong with it, it HAS to have lots done and I don't want to spend that much on a bush vehicle, so to get my money back I have to do it nice and sell it.

I may just take you up on your offer, but with the exchange rate we'll have to determine prices in kudu biltong if we can get it past your customs guys. I have quite a bit of stuff which I got from the USA for when I was going to do the previous one (I spend part of my year in the USA) Right now I need to replace the entire suspension, so a nice Old Man Emu system would be nice... I wish.

Groete

Johann

Thanks Whitey, that's a beast you've got there. Good old 7.50 x 16 14ply still the only thing to run here in the bush. We have serious thorns and you wouldn't go a mile with nice fat radial plies. You can tell a real working Cruiser by the tyres. I need to buy 5 as mine has city tyres on. Expensive...

Does that mean you can get them mate? I've got a set of 4 decent ones but bejesus I've had to fight for just them.

I dig your truck. Got to get myself to the cradle one of these days.

Hi Cult45

Yes, they're still widely available here. I'm going to town tomorrow and will get some prices and the range available.

Getting sandblasting done here is a bit of a schlep. I have to hire a suitable trailer 35km north of home and then take the stuff 125km south for blasting. Trailer hire is expensive so I have to do it all in one as quickly as possible. With the bad roads the 125km trip takes 2.5hrs one way.

Anyway, made arrangements last week to have my stuff done "while-you-wait" on Thursday, picked up a trailer late evening and left home at 04:30 to be there at 07:00 opening time. Got the frame, body tub, windshield frame, 8' load bed, cab protector and tail gate done by 14:00 and was back home by 16:30. The doors, roof and cab stuff must wait till later.

The stuff was beautifully done and I spent the weekend spraying etch primer.

LOOK MA, NO PAINT, NO RUST, NO GUNGE!

IMG_2874.JPG

NAKED AS THE DAY HE WAS BORN
IMG_2877.JPG

NOW THATS WHAT I CALL A CUTE BACKSIDE
IMG_2879.JPG

ETCH PRIMER
IMG_2880.JPG

"BAMBI" CHECKS FOR RUNS (BUSHBUCK EWE)
IMG_2941.JPG

On the whole I was very pleased with the condition of the parts. Lots of rust holes for sure, but nothing too drastic. I've never welded on this thin stuff with any success, and the antique welder I have up here is another story. I think I will have to buy a MIG welder - more expense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom