ih8 mud in alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well went mudding for the first time in my 62 . My alternator crapped out from what seems like all the mud and water splashing up. The mud was pretty watery and was only about a foot deep maybe? Anyways my engine bay was covered in mud and the alternator was fried so my day had to end early. My question is how would I protect the alt from water/mud? Do I even need to?

Also should i go get mine rebuilt, or aftermarket from napa/autozone etc?, or is oem reman the only way to go?

I don't wanna pay the premium for oem if the mud is gonna kill it again.

pretty price to pay.. but man was it fun!!!

-Kevin

lonelydriver said:
Well went mudding for the first time in my 62 . My alternator crapped out from what seems like all the mud and water splashing up. The mud was pretty watery and was only about a foot deep maybe? Anyways my engine bay was covered in mud and the alternator was fried so my day had to end early. My question is how would I protect the alt from water/mud? Do I even need to?

Also should i go get mine rebuilt, or aftermarket from napa/autozone etc?, or is oem reman the only way to go?

I don't wanna pay the premium for oem if the mud is gonna kill it again.

pretty price to pay.. but man was it fun!!!

-Kevin
went through this last week.take it off get some starter fluid and clean the hell out of it you could also try air if you have alot of crap in it.spray it in every crack and hole.mine works like a brand new one now

lonelydriver said:
-Kevin

From what I have read OEM is the only way to go unless you are buying a mean green alternator. I had a Bosh on mine and lasted all of one week...back to OEM and no problems.

I totally disagree with the OEM alternator being the only way to go. I find the OEM alternator expensive with very little output.

I've put a Leece Neville in my FJ60. I used to run some big radio stuff that required lots of juice. Puts out an honest 200 amps. And they make even larger models! I've had mine for about 5 years and it hasn't given me a minutes trouble. And I really used (and abused) it alot.

Mean green is OK, but I think way overpriced. Leece's are used in things such as ambulances, motorhomes, semis, etc. I think I paid $125 for mine. Easy to find too (ebay, alternator shops).

Of course, you'll have to fab a bracket. These things are big.

I've also used Powerline alternators, but they are very expensive. I have a nice 190 amp one with external rectifier waiting for me to get my FJ40 running. The external recitifiers moves the parts that get real hot out from inside the alternator. You can mount them in front of the radiator or put on an external fan for cooling.

I would recommend that you do not buy anything that has been rewound for higher output. An alternator's biggest enemy is heat. Getting more output from an alternator that wasn't designed for it is a recipe for failure.

JMHO

New alternators do not exist for 62's - the best you can do is a rebuilt Toyo. Also, 62's alternators are kind of special so you might be looking for a while for as non-Denso (toyota) replacment. I am running a Mean Green and am quite pleased with it. It's gotten rid (hidden is probably a better discription) a lot of the issues that are normal w/ an almost 20 year old electrical system with the increased output - increased resistance from old wiring and connectors. I can have the rear defog, heater, lights and wipers all going in stop and go traffic w/ out issue. Not only is the Mean Green expensive it will take you a couple of weeks to get (at least for me it did - 5 weeks from date of order). The Mean Green is a direct replacment for the OEM alternator both physically and electrically - they provide a small wire harness that matches the 62's electrical harness. I have not "upgraded" my wiring as some others have done to better handle the high amps and have seen no ill effects so far - after 3 years but I'm not running a winch or other high draw item. If you can't wait or don't want to spend the $$ for a MG the next best bet from my experience is a Toyota rebuilt unit flollowed by a local shop remanufactured unit followed by NAPA or similar. Prior to the MG I was getting 1-2 years from a local rebuild and 2-3 years from a Toyota remanufactured unit.

There's a lot of other posts covering Mean Green - try the search feature and see what others think as well.

Good Luck

Harry

Ming89FJ62 said:
New alternators do not exist for 62's - the best you can do is a rebuilt Toyo. Also, 62's alternators are kind of special so you might be looking for a while for as non-Denso (toyota) replacment. I am running a Mean Green and am quite pleased with it. It's gotten rid (hidden is probably a better discription) a lot of the issues that are normal w/ an almost 20 year old electrical system with the increased output - increased resistance from old wiring and connectors. I can have the rear defog, heater, lights and wipers all going in stop and go traffic w/ out issue. Not only is the Mean Green expensive it will take you a couple of weeks to get (at least for me it did - 5 weeks from date of order). The Mean Green is a direct replacment for the OEM alternator both physically and electrically - they provide a small wire harness that matches the 62's electrical harness. I have not "upgraded" my wiring as some others have done to better handle the high amps and have seen no ill effects so far - after 3 years but I'm not running a winch or other high draw item. If you can't wait or don't want to spend the $$ for a MG the next best bet from my experience is a Toyota rebuilt unit flollowed by a local shop remanufactured unit followed by NAPA or similar. Prior to the MG I was getting 1-2 years from a local rebuild and 2-3 years from a Toyota remanufactured unit.

There's a lot of other posts covering Mean Green - try the search feature and see what others think as well.

Good Luck

Harry

Hi Harry .How is the 62 alt different and which side does it hang?

In a 62 the alt hangs on the driver's side just under the smog pump (I've found it easiest to remove the smog pump to access the alt for replacement). So it's in a different location than a 55 or 60 (passenger side).

As far as what makes a 62 alt special I don't know the specifics - it's 80/90 amp rated alternator w/ an internal IC voltage regulator that was originally manufactured by Denso (Nipondenso). Other than a rebuilt Denso unit, the only direct drip-in replacment that I've found/heard of is Mean Green.

Some others have used GM alternators sucessfully as a replacement but you need to modify the wiring from the GM alt to the wiring harness and fab a mounting bracket. My fab skills being what they are, or aren't, I opted for a bolt-in replacment that put out more amps than a the stock unit. No regrets so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom