bj62 Alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay here's my puzzle:

1989 62 series with a 3B, 12V system.

I had a sh*t terminal connector on my main battery, and on the occasional start, always after glowing, the power would shut off completely when I turned the key. I would tighten or wiggle the terminal, and she'd start right up. I finally replaced the terminal a few days ago. The truck started better the day after. Then I did a bit of driving, and the voltage gauge started to drop while driving. Yesterday the truck started right up in the morning, and again around noon, but I noticed the V gauge was hovering around 10V (usually it sits around 14 when I'm driving). I went to start her up around 3 pm and I needed a jump to get going. Again around 7, I needed another jump. I drove for about 10 minutes, and the gauge was below 8V, the lights were dim, and I wasn't pulling power for the stereo, heat, or anything else. I checked the voltage on the batteries around 7 before jumping her, and the main was reading 11.9 and the aux was reading 12.4. Once I got a jump, voltage read 12.1 and 12.4 respectively, and once I got home (15 minute drive later), with engine still running, it read 10 and 12.4. The main battery was replaced in the past 12 months.
Curious if anyone has had a similar experience and maybe has some insight into what the problem may be. I'm suspicious of the alternator or voltage regulator, but really quite clueless.
TIA.

Sounds like the alternator is not charging your battery. Is it a 3FE or 3B alternator? Not sure that it matters. First step for me would be to fully charge the battery. Second would be to test the alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom