Ignition switch source? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Believe I’m in need of an ignition switch replacement. I can find replacements for all series other than 60.

Does anyone have a source, or suggestion? TIA.

I got the OEM ignition switch for 1980-83 FJ60s from Cruiser Corps. Worked well in my ‘82, not sure what year you’re dealing with.

Is your starter just not turning?

Did you check the wire bundle behind the gauge cluster?

If it is non-start, try cleaning the coil and hold down cage, it is a major ground in the system.

Is your starter just not turning?

Did you check the wire bundle behind the gauge cluster?

Try "parting out" portion of the classified section:

Parting Out...

Or maybe post a wanted ad in the "parts" section:

Classifieds - Parts

Good luck.

Thanks, I did find a used one. I was hoping to find a source for new, and avoid a 35 year old part going bad again. I might end up going the used route though.

If it is non-start, try cleaning the coil and hold down cage, it is a major ground in the system.

Thanks for the suggestion. The truck has a man a fre “lightning strike” HEI.

The issue I’m having is when cranking all I get are dash lights, and a click if any noise at all.

Battery and starter are known/ tested good. Lead terminals are clean, and wire brushed. Grounds look clean.

The truck will start and run without issue if jumped with cables.

I did a search, and it looks like the problem is the ignition switch. I had a MKIII VR6 with nearly identical issues years ago, and it was also the ignition switch.

Any suggestions of other avenues I could explore/ may have overlooked would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You haven't posted the month/year of your truck - Pre 85 are available from the dealer/Aftermarket. Post 85 aftermarket only. You can use an early one in a post 85 but you will lose the 'buzzer' when key is in ignition and door open.

Post your year and we'll see what's available.

The one for your 85 (I have an '85) is going to be difficult to find unless you come across a NOS or good used one. There are some Chinese made but I don't know the quality and I don't see any at the moment with cursory searching.

As stated, the 81-84 is still available from Toyota as well as Japanese aftermarket and it works fine (it's what I have in mine) but you lose this little switch for the key-in-lock buzzer. The rest is the same.

I didn't care cuz I hate that buzzer, and was happy to find a simple way to delete it, but if it's something you want, then you'll have to either hunt for a NOS one or used or possibly, unbundle the buzzer switch from your old one and add it to the new.

Hard to find because that key warning buzz was only mandated in the USA, at the time.

Might be available ordering from Japan.

Ignitionsw.png

Makes sense that part is nla with your explanation. Pretty extraneous feature for a
non-purist.

I’m glad to hear the part I need is readily available. Thanks for the breakdown.

If you are getting a "click", this indicates the switch is passing electricity through to the starter solenoid. Go back and clean your grounds and the +12V on the battery and connection at the starter motor.

You can also use the diagrams below to check continuity on the switch. A long time ago I took my switch apart to clean it. Here are some threads with a little information about it: ignition switch not returning after start

1580138130986.png

You could also take your switch apart and visually inspect the contacts inside to see what the issue is. They are very well built components and and sometimes taking them apart and cleaning/servicing will solve a lot of issues. You might find that the switch as a whole may be NLA but the components inside might be still available.

Last edited:
thanks for all the good info.

I ended up ordering an ignition from vintage teq based on time constraints. will report back post install, to round out info for potential future searches.

The one for your 85 (I have an '85) is going to be difficult to find unless you come across a NOS or good used one. There are some Chinese made but I don't know the quality and I don't see any at the moment with cursory searching.

As stated, the 81-84 is still available from Toyota as well as Japanese aftermarket and it works fine (it's what I have in mine) but you lose this little switch for the key-in-lock buzzer. The rest is the same.

I didn't care cuz I hate that buzzer, and was happy to find a simple way to delete it, but if it's something you want, then you'll have to either hunt for a NOS one or used or possibly, unbundle the buzzer switch from your old one and add it to the new.

Hard to find because that key warning buzz was only mandated in the USA, at the time.

Might be available ordering from Japan.

View attachment 2193380
Hey Spike, I am wondering if you can take an 81-84 harness and splice new switch onto old plug wiring retaining the "buzzer"?

Hey Spike, I am wondering if you can take an 81-84 harness and splice new switch onto old plug wiring retaining the "buzzer"?

I suppose so - never heard of anyone wanting to do that before.

For me, I was just dancing happy to get rid of that buzzer. :meh: Really annoying when trying to work on the truck with door open and key On or in Ignition...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom