Ignition Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The other day, I get in my 80 series and turn the key, and it does a 180, to the exact opposite spot I turned it from, and nothing happens, as if it slipped around without going to "start" or "run". After getting th key out (same spot as I put it in, only upside down!) and popping the front of the ignition a couple of times, it finally snapped back and started as usual. But obviously this will happen again. Anyone know what happened? Do I need to replace the whole ignition? What is the most economical way to fix it, without doing a patch job(I want a real fix not something that will get me through the next couple of weeks and then it happens again.)

Any comments or help are greatly appreciated!

J

This happend to me once although i've experienced it on other cars i've owned. A slight tap (or blow) with a hammer should free that stuck solenoid. lol.

I have never seen the inner workings of the cruiser column, but I did have a similar problem on a BMW I used to have. On the BMW, the lock barrel had a tab on the end of it, which fit into a plastic slot in the actual ignition switch... they were completely different pieces. The slot in the plastic had worn to the point that the sides of the slot were no longer square and it would allow the lock tab to pop out when turning the key on occasion. The key would spin all the way to it's stop. Sometimes I would have to turn the key all the way back several times to get it to finally catch. Then it would run fine for months till it happened again. Got worse and worse till I replaced the stupid plastic piece.

Like I said... never seen the inside of a cruiser column... but sounds like the same symptoms.

So replacing the plastic is the way to fix it, not replacing the ignition? Where can I get that plastic piece, dealer? And does anyone know what it's called?

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom