Ignition coil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1987 Chevy K5 with a TBI 350 and I took the time to install a tachometer. It works great at idle but once I give it some power it jumps right up to 3000rpm and when I’m driving and I floor it, it down shifts into a high rpm and the tachometer goes down in rpm. I’ve looked at all these videos and the hot wire connected to the ignition coil is on the passenger side but mine is on the driver side. About 2 years ago it had to be put into the shop and ever since then it has been down on power, and by a lot. Could the connections on the ignition coil be flipped and cause the reasons for loss of power and tachometer not working right and If they are would it hurt to change them back after it running 2 years with them like that?
Thanks everyone

Is the tachometer set to the proper V8 setting?

Have you pulled the ignition wire out of the HEI distributor so it's not making good contact?
Is there a ground wire necessary for the tach?

Gut feel tells me it's a lacking ground wire.

Yes, this could be related to the poor performance because it is either a loose or poor connection or a bad ground.

How did you end up on a Land Cruiser forum asking about your K5?

Have you tried the The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network - Powered by 67-72chevytrucks.com - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/ ? There is a section on there for the square body trucks and the 87's K5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom